Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can't get ALSA working on an Abit AN7...HELP!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pops45042
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Can't get ALSA working on an Abit AN7...HELP! Reply with quote

I've been pulling my hair out searching forums and everywhere else and I can;t find a clear answer. I've got an Abit AN7 MB and can;t get the sound to work at all. I'm using the 2.6.4 kernel and have the sound support added as a module. I tried going through the gentoo ALSA guide, but even after 4 tries, I still muct be doing something wrong. When i try to load the alsasound with

/etc/init.d/alsasound start all I get are errors. Here's a good sample:
bash-2.05b# /etc/init.d/alsasound start
* Loading ALSA drivers...
* Using ALSA OSS emulation
* Loading: snd-mixer-oss
FATAL: Error inserting snd_mixer_oss (/lib/modules/2.6.4-gentoo-r1/kernel/sound/acore/oss/s
nd-mixer-oss.o): Invalid module format
* Loading: snd-pcm-oss
WARNING: Error inserting snd_mixer_oss (/lib/modules/2.6.4-gentoo-r1/kernel/sound/acore/oss
/snd-mixer-oss.o): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting snd_timer (/lib/modules/2.6.4-gentoo-r1/kernel/sound/acore/snd-tim
er.o): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting snd_page_alloc (/lib/modules/2.6.4-gentoo-r1/kernel/sound/acore/sn
d-page-alloc.o): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting snd_pcm (/lib/modules/2.6.4-gentoo-r1/kernel/sound/acore/snd-pcm.k
o): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
FATAL: Error inserting snd_pcm_oss (/lib/modules/2.6.4-gentoo-r1/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd
-pcm-oss.o): Invalid module format

Does anyone out there have any ideas on what I can do or a good thread to read?

Any suggestions are welcome. Otherwise, I guess I'm stuck going back to windows :cry:
Paul Thomas

Laugh at my old system!
AMD Opteron 165@ 2750Mhz, 2gig 400mhz Cas2 Crucial Ballistix, Abit NF8 Ultra MB, WD 80gig (system), WD 120gig (storage), Geforce 8800GTS 320MB, Mushkin 550W PS
anthonybavuso
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having problems with mine however I wasn't recieving any errors, it just didn't work. I finally got it working somewhat by using a combination of http://www.alsa-project.org/ documentation for my specific model sound card and gentoo's alsa guide. I have 2.6.4 kernel but i was using alsa-1.0.3 drivers, lib, and utils that i got from the alsa site. I tried 1.0.3 cause I wasn't having much luck with emerge alsa-drivers which give ver 0.9.8.
pops45042
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've tried Gentoo's guide without much luck. And since Gentoo's guide references the alsa-project, I spent a good deal of time there as well.

So far I still haven't had any luck. Figured that I would sleep on it and start fresh later today after I finish HW.

Any other ideas?
Paul

Laugh at my old system!
AMD Opteron 165@ 2750Mhz, 2gig 400mhz Cas2 Crucial Ballistix, Abit NF8 Ultra MB, WD 80gig (system), WD 120gig (storage), Geforce 8800GTS 320MB, Mushkin 550W PS
Paulten
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Works with gentoo-dev-2.6.5 here.
Finally.

Same problem here.. no sound, no errors..

anthonybavuso : You got it working by not using the kernel's ALSA driver, but the media-sound/alsa-driver ?

--Paul
_dook_master_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same trouble, but its worked ever since I started using the 2.6.2 kernel. I'm on 2.6.5-gentoo now. Sounds great.
DaftDog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulten: I have a similar problem, how did you get it to work? I'm using 2.6.5 and tried different combinations of alsa-libs and built-in drivers and also with seperate drivers... no luck. Could you post how you got it to work please?
p-i
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same board and have had a huge number of problems getting sound working. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on sound in AN7 anywhere.

Anywho, I'm using Alsa 1.0.4 and kernel 2.6.5 here with 5.1 sound working finally.

Quote:
lsmod | grep snd:
snd_intel8x0 34536 1
snd_pcm_oss 53796 1
snd_mixer_oss 19840 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_trident 47012 0
snd_pcm 98020 3 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm_oss,snd_trident
snd_timer 25860 1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc 11332 3 snd_intel8x0,snd_trident,snd_pcm
gameport 4736 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_trident
snd_util_mem 4480 1 snd_trident
snd_mpu401_uart 7872 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_trident
snd_rawmidi 25120 1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device 8136 2 snd_trident,snd_rawmidi
snd_ac97_codec 64324 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_trident
snd 55972 11 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_trident,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_util_mem,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_ac97_codec
soundcore 10272 3 sound,snd

If that's of any use...

You also need to unmute/increase volumes in alsamixer and set 'line-in as surround'. I use gnome-alsamixer for that. Be sure to plug center into line in, the blue jack not the black.

I registered because I was going to ask why center seemed to be duplicating front, then I just took a look and noticed I had duplicate front on! Line-in as surround and duplicate front used to be the only way to get sound with alsa on this board. 1.0.4 seems to work perfectly, though. Good job, alsa-project.org!

Edit: Only disable duplicate front in xine to get 5.1 sound. In XMMS use OSS output plugin with duplicate front enabled otherwise you only get the front channel.

/uses Debian :p
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: