Booting Install CD G4/800 with Nvidia Gforce4 MX
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gronesy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Booting Install CD G4/800 with Nvidia Gforce4 MX Reply with quote

I am trying to boot the PPC G4 minimal install CD and don't know what kernel parameters need to be passed for my Nvidia card. The display dies and I have to reboot. The CD is the 2004.0 :(
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't have to pass any parameters for your video card on the LiveCD. Try passing nofb to disable the framebuffer. That might keep the display from dying.
joshuad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this same problem when booting the 2004.0 CD on my Powerbook w/ Nvidia card. I didn't find a solution anywhere, so I booted with the Gentoo 1.4 CD and did a 2004.0 Stage 2 install off the network.
gronesy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshuad wrote:
I had this same problem when booting the 2004.0 CD on my Powerbook w/ Nvidia card. I didn't find a solution anywhere, so I booted with the Gentoo 1.4 CD and did a 2004.0 Stage 2 install off the network.

Did you get the G4 LiveCD for 1.4?
gronesy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YopWongSapn wrote:
You shouldn't have to pass any parameters for your video card on the LiveCD. Try passing nofb to disable the framebuffer. That might keep the display from dying.

I tried G4 nofb and the display died.
joshuad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Powerbook G4 12" and it took some time to find the CD, but I don't know where I got it from. If you can't find it then reply to this post and I will upload it to a site that you can download it from.
gronesy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshuad wrote:
I have a Powerbook G4 12" and it took some time to find the CD, but I don't know where I got it from. If you can't find it then reply to this post and I will upload it to a site that you can download it from.

I got it to boot with the 1.4 -grp-livecd. Do you know where I can get the installation manual for 1.4? So far, very little of the 2004.0 manual applies to this install.
gronesy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshuad wrote:

I tried that but unfortunately my gigabit ethernet card(apple oem was not detected and the driver wasn't available. I know the Powerbooks use a different driver than my g4/800. I couldn't believe it wasn't detected. Looks like I'll be waiting for new 2004.0 discs with a 2.6.4 kernel.
joshuad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gronesy wrote:
I tried that but unfortunately my gigabit ethernet card(apple oem was not detected and the driver wasn't available. I know the Powerbooks use a different driver than my g4/800. I couldn't believe it wasn't detected.

I too had that problem. Follow the 2004.0 installation guide, manually configure the network, and when you are asked to modprobe, type:
Code:
modprobe bmac

That should recognize your Apple network card. Hope this helps!
gronesy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshuad wrote:
gronesy wrote:
I tried that but unfortunately my gigabit ethernet card(apple oem was not detected and the driver wasn't available. I know the Powerbooks use a different driver than my g4/800. I couldn't believe it wasn't detected.

I too had that problem. Follow the 2004.0 installation guide, manually configure the network, and when you are asked to modprobe, type:
Code:
modprobe bmac

That should recognize your Apple network card. Hope this helps!

I want to make sure I got this right. Use the 1.4 grp install CD and modprobe bmac? I don't find a bmac driver on the 1.4 CD and the 2004.0 CD won't boot. Am I just confused?
joshuad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are just going to use the 1.4 CD as a boot CD. I didn't install any packages off of the CD onto my Powerbook, I got the tarballs off of gentoo mirrors. Follow the 2004.0 install guide. This link should be able to help you out:
http://ppcconfdb.sourceforge.net/?id=conf
There are configuration files listed there for ppc's.
As for the modprobe problem, type:
Code:
cd /lib/modules/"kernel version you booted"/kernel/drivers/net

All drivers that you can modprobe are listed there. There should be one called bmac. If you modprobe from that directory, do not include the extension of the driver. If that doesn't work, try booting from another kernel on the CD.
gronesy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshuad wrote:
You are just going to use the 1.4 CD as a boot CD. I didn't install any packages off of the CD onto my Powerbook, I got the tarballs off of gentoo mirrors. Follow the 2004.0 install guide. This link should be able to help you out:
http://ppcconfdb.sourceforge.net/?id=conf
There are configuration files listed there for ppc's.
As for the modprobe problem, type:
Code:
cd /lib/modules/"kernel version you booted"/kernel/drivers/net

All drivers that you can modprobe are listed there. There should be one called bmac. If you modprobe from that directory, do not include the extension of the driver. If that doesn't work, try booting from another kernel on the CD.

Thanks for your help. I was able to get the networking going and getting the stage2 tarball. Then, I was unable to get portage or emerge to work correctly. I'll be waiting for the 2004.1 release when it gets here.
Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: