View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spinfoam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Solved Reply with quote

coregan wrote:
joaobertacchi wrote:
To force kernel to use tsc use "clock=tsc" parameter.
After change this my computer is ok (until now for a week)

Many, many thank yous for pointing me in the right direction. I have been experiencing similar problems for the past couple of months and getting pretty desperate.

In my case, my time source switched from pmtmr to tsc after a kernel update, so it was tsc that was wreaking havoc. After recompiling my kernel with support for pmtmr (for some reason it was disabled after the kernel update) and passing the "clock=pmtmr" parameter to the kernel, my problems went away.

After much Googling, my understanding is that tsc does not work correctly on dual-core or multiple CPU systems, particularly on a notebook where the CPU might change freqency dynamically to save on power consumption. When my system switch to using tsc, it caused problems for applications that need a reliable time source, like keyboard entry (i.e. counting how long a key has been pressed).

Chris

I have dual core cpu and got the keypress repetition bug after upgrading to new kernel 2.6.19(20) (I have also upgraded to xorg 7.2 at that time). Now, I have tried passing the option "notsc" to kernel at boot and everything seems fine. It also probably solved occasional skipping of video in mplayer.
So thanks for pointing in the right direction.
wolfger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to believe this bug is still around from 2004... I did not have this problem in 2004 with an AMD64, but I have it now (new install) with an AMD64 X2. I have it with any Live CD version (Gentoo or Sabayon, x86 or x86_64) as well as with my installed version (Gentoo x86_64). It makes life so difficult that I really don't use Gentoo at all anymore, though I keep this partition around for kicks, hoping that someday an "emerge -u world" will fix it. I have never seen this problem on my other distro (Mepis), so it's not hardware.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: