View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm personally on the wagon - I was thinking about buying my own Gentoo related domain to get a Gentoo email, but I can get it and donate to the project at the same time, then I would rather do that... who needs webspace anyways... :)

~5 $ a month seems fair for POP3 based mail. Just tell me where to sign up...
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't really a bad idea. I kind of like it. I have a question. If we were to go with the forwarding idea for purposes of cost would that mean that people would simply get their @gentoo-mail.net address forwarded to an existing account and be unable to send mail that would be received as from an @gentoo-mail.net address?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristam29 wrote:
unable to send mail that would be received as from an @gentoo-mail.net address?

From addresses are supplied by mail clients, not by servers. You can send mail with a From line of president@whitehouse.gov, if you like. The problems come when people try to reply to you, and these problems go away if forwarding is enabled. If you've got any C programming background, think of it as a person **.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that makes my mutt configuration make a heck of a lot more sense to me now.. :D
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
corrs_fan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like a fairly good idea, although i do urge you to be sensible with the actual domain.

A simmilar idea was bandied about at 2cpu.com a while back but they decided NOT to go with it because doing so would give rise to authenticity problems when contacting hardware suppliers for pre release "samples" and other freebies such as the latest dual CPU boards & fastest cpu's, which would otherwise have costed them dearly to buy outright, and ultimatley their demise as a high quality free site.

I imagine You might have the same sort of problem, in attempting to secure charitable gifts/sponsorship deals from some companies, if you were to release something that wasnt an obvious distinction between yourself & users, despite tyhe apparent uncoolness of gentoo-users.com for example.

Of course if the above isnt an issue then i see no problems in the gentoo.org type email forwarding thing.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I actually do something about the damn thing... and I get my thread thrown into duplicate threads.

Who do I thank for this wonderful treatment of my kindness towards the community?
krusty_ar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: showstopper? Reply with quote

IMHO, the only reason i could buy such service (actually i can't because i live in argentina and with the next president my month's earnings could be the equivalent of $1 or $2 :wink:) is the domain name (that is, gentoo.org), but the points made about don't using it are really strong (for me at least), so this could be a real PITA for the whole idea :(
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's Lovechild's post, which probably should have been posted in this thread in the first place so we would all be able to access similar information in the same thread. Don't take it personally, just search before you post. If your post is moved, please don't be offended. It's policy that helps keep the forums clean, readable, and informative. This is the purpose of the Duplicate Threads forum. Feel free to respond here.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristam29 wrote:
Here's Lovechild's post, which probably should have been posted in this thread in the first place so we would all be able to access similar information in the same thread. Don't take it personally, just search before you post. If your post is moved, please don't be offended. It's policy that helps keep the forums clean, readable, and informative. This is the purpose of the Duplicate Threads forum. Feel free to respond here.

The whole idea of starting a new thread was the instead of just talking about doing something, I actually did something.. thus I did NOT want the confusion of combining the two threads, if you will notice I did already post in this thread AGES ago...
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided to drop the whole thing.. I'm tired of fighting.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
The whole idea of starting a new thread was the instead of just talking about doing something, I actually did something.. thus I did NOT want the confusion of combining the two threads, if you will notice I did already post in this thread AGES ago...

Yes, and the confusion that posting your actions in this thread would avoid is when someone else reads just this thread, gets the doman www.gentoo-user.cc, and starts doing the same thing that you are doing because s/he didn't know about it. I'm very sorry to see that you have decided to give up on the idea. It takes a lot of hard work to acheive great things. Please let us know if you decide to continue with this concept. It's obviously something in which many people appear to be quite interested.
upnix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add my two cents. I've dealt with large mailservers for a couple of years now (Sendmail)

One problem I see is spam. You might have problems finding someone who would want to colocate a machine if there's a chance it'll get blacklisted.

I understand there's little chance that some Gentoo user that donated money to get his @gentoo.org account is going to spam, but there's always a good chance for "misunderstandings" when you have that many people emailing. And it's -hard- to get off lists like SPEWS.

That being said, I think it'd be an easy thing to setup. It'd be plain and simple "Pay $x, get y". So if you're someone who's paying good money, you get the webmail and SpamAssassin, while the person paying only a bit can get a forwarder account.

I think you could pull this off using donations. Looking after such a system would probably be a full time job for someone though.

What's the story with this forum and the mailing list? Is it donated, or is there actual money being paid for it? If you could consolidate them somehow, that may make things a little simpler.

Anywho, I'll be interested to see if anything comes from this. I may know of a hosting comany with resources to burn :wink:
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

upnix wrote:
Looking after such a system would probably be a full time job for someone though.

I'll be interested to see if anything comes from this. I may know of a hosting comany with resources to burn :wink:
Considering that I first posted this back in September, and active discussion died in early November, I'm not hopeful. Mainly, I think someone with the ability to get it started (in conjunction with Gentoo) is needed. What domain, what method of donations, etc. How are we certain that as much money as possible gets to the project vs. someone pocketing a "bonus".

Also, how much time would be involved in the administration/maintenance? If it would require a fulltime job, then its probably not a very likely option. Would there be ways to minimize admin duties? For example, offering only the forwarding service to begin with? I'm still interested in the idea, but don't have the experience to do anything with it :(.
upnix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
How are we certain that as much money as possible gets to the project vs. someone pocketing a "bonus".

I guess I'm not sure how we make sure the money is going where it should. I think it'd depend on who was was looking after the incoming money. Who looks after donations now?

kanuslupus wrote:

Also, how much time would be involved in the administration/maintenance? If it would require a fulltime job, then its probably not a very likely option. Would there be ways to minimize admin duties? For example, offering only the forwarding service to begin with? I'm still interested in the idea, but don't have the experience to do anything with it :(.

I think the most time consuming part would be looking after people signing up, and then looking after user problems. My system is busy, but actually looking after the system (keeping services running) takes up none of my time. It's looking after clients that eats time. There will ALWAYS be people who have a problem that really isn't yours, but you can't prove it until you've spent an hour or so looking into it.

I think the first hurdle to get over is deciding whether this will be an "Official Gentoo" project. I think you'll get the best results with @gentoo.org or @users.gentoo.org. Obviously if it isn't something that's seen as being done by the Gentoo group, people are going to be hesitant to "donate" for their email whatever.

I don't know how you'd do this. I don't keep close track of how Gentoo development works, so I'm not sure how such a descion would be made among those with the power to make it "official".
hifidelity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: good idea... Reply with quote

I like the whole idea of paying $ to get an email address at gentoo. It would bring in a little income which would pay for some of the bandwidth etc. Not only that, it would be cool to have a @gentoo* email address!

A flat $5 fee would be the best idea, perhaps even a $10 setup fee like someone suggested; but the same fee for either forwarding or IMAP service, remember the idea is donation, to help the project out. Either way, it would need to at the very LEAST subsidize itself. It would be even better if gentoo made some money they could use towards the project.

Whether the service offered IMAP or forwarding service (you get to choose which you want), I don't think 5 dollars is alot to ask. I mean these guys work hard, help them out a little!

An email service running on gentoo linux enabled servers would be a testament to robustness of the product and the ingenuity of the people involved in the project.

Lastly, if such a thing is to happen, gentoo.org email address should *NOT* be given out. As was stated earlier this could make it appear that someone is affiliated with gentoo, and they could make a bad name for the project. gentoo-users.org is kinda dull and long... something more catchy would be nice.. I don't know, maybe "think-gentoo.org" or "gentoo-rocks.org"

These are just ideas i'm throwing up, but please everyone respond with some input as to a good name for some top level domains we could possibly use.

:x 8O
jd5419
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had just posted something like this and it got marked duplicate, I love this idea and would pay for a forwarder or a full service thing. Unfortunaly I did not do my research to find this first but here it is. I think this is an excellent idea and i would still do it even it was something like users.gentoo.org to be able to tell the differences between users and developers. ITs a great idea but we would need someone whos really willing to work on it. I'd only be seriously interested in paying for such a thing if money _did_ go to the foundation and not to someones fat wallet. If this happens count me in. This post looks very old (2 years) but I'm hopeing to bring it alive and draw some noise to it because i honestly want to give to the foundation and i think this is the best way that i could do so (other then working on regular donations :))
SLBMEH
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometime in the next two months I will be upgrading my bandwith and adding a mail server. I already manage my servers full time and all of my servers run gentoo. I would be willing to donate my time to run a forwarder. And if it was desired I would donate my time and resources for managing a virtual pop3/authenticated smtp system with clamav and spam assassin for somewhere aroune $0.10 - $0.25 per user per month. However I'm not one for customizing webmail interfaces. Although I propose this: If it were to be desired to host webmail services I would host it on my servers for $1 month. And I would allow access for members of the gentoo dev team to maintain the content and interface for the webmail system. This could be an oppurtunity for development of a gentoo's own webmail service. That's just my idea. I feel the prices are fair for my time/resources. It's the least I could do. I use gentoo on all my servers, I package it with most computers I sell, and I teach night courses for new linux users and I use gentoo.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd personally only pay if the money went to Gentoo.

Also, webmail is underway for devs. Not sure when it'll be ready (if it isn't already, I'm not following it that closely).
SLBMEH
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the money going to gentoo. The money i specified is not profit oriented it is cost oriented. It would cover the cost of an administrator maintaining users and updating clamav/spamassassin and it would cover the cost of my bandwith and resources utilized (power, hd space, ram, processor bandwith). I didn't specify a dollar amount for gentoo donations I left that up for someone else to decide... I just based off of my actual running costs from my overhead made some deductions and set a reasonable price of what I am willing to contribute... I don't want to manage funds... I want gentoo to manage the funds so I can not be accused of pocketing profits... I believe my prices are under what it would cost gentoo to run and manage... If not then so be it... It was just my proposal...
Philluminati
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Bump* to keep the idea going.

I was searching the internet for something like this. Right now I'm willing to pay £5 per month for a mail forwarding service with "gentoo" in the email address. I don't want to suggest something that will bog down the existing Gentoo infrastructure but they do already run a forwarding service for the developers don't they? Surely they have the capacity to expand the service with users.gentoo.org with minimal fuss. Plus we *know* they'd be getting the money that way as well.

SLBMEH's idea is also quite good. He's going to provide a profit to the Gentoo team and do the work, all it will cost Gentoo is the sub domain.

I say do it!

Phill
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if it's just about donations, why can't we implement a system to allow a nominal (eg $10 per year in US) fee to be a "registered user" on the forums? There'd be zero difference to your acct beyond a mention of it near location etc in posts.

Email etc sounds cool, but a lot more work; if the other Steve's prepared to do it, more power to him.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: