Gaming and dual-monitors
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 3:17 am    Post subject: Gaming and dual-monitors Reply with quote

I have dual-monitors setup on my system using nVidia's TwinView on a GeForce4 card. Everything works great in the desktop environment, but when I try to play a game (any 3d or otherwise full-screen game), the picture gets centered across both monitors, so I have like a 5 inch gap almost in the middle of the picture (one monitor's at a higher res than the other, so it's shifted to the right a little).

As you can imagine this is not playable. So far the only solution I've found is to logout out of X, login as root, reconfigure my XF86Config file to disable TwinView, kill and restart KDM, logout of root, then log back into KDE with my user account with on only one monitor.

This works, but it's really a pain in the butt. Do any other gamers have dual-monitors? Has anyone found a better/faster/easier way of doing this? Thanks.

Last edited by nitro322 on Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Spades
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you might not have Xinerama actually enabled. In the Modules section of your XF86Config, make sure you have the line

Load "extmod"

I don't think it's there by default, but it's needed to enable all of nvidia's built in extensions including the handy XV and XRender, and Xinerama. Besides that, using Xinerama aware programs is helpful. SDL supports Xinerama now, so if apps that use SDL are still popping up in the center, try updating SDL. A little hint: The precompiled SDL with UT2003 doesn't seem to have Xinerama support, or else it's an older version with incomplete support. I suggest moving it so the game uses your system version (which should be 1.2.4 :wink: ).
lain iwakura
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, when twinview is activated, to remidy the problem of having the prog centered, put something like this under the device section of your XF86Config-4 file:

Code:
Option     "MetaModes" "1024x768,1024x768; NULL,1024x768"

the key is to make one monitor NULL so the the prog only targets one monitor. now, all you have to do when your in X is to press ctrl+alt+ minus or plus to switch to your different modes.
dioxmat
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, anyone tried to use a dvi->vga adaptater to have twinview with the geforces4 that has one vga and one dvi outputs ? does it work well with the current nvidia drivers / xinerama ?
lain iwakura
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dioxmat wrote:
btw, anyone tried to use a dvi->vga adaptater to have twinview with the geforces4 that has one vga and one dvi outputs ? does it work well with the current nvidia drivers / xinerama ?

ya, flawless. :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: