View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Gnome 2.6 - which version of gstreamer? Reply with quote

I've been playing around with the Gnome 2.6 prereleases, and currently have Gnome 2.6_rc3 installed on my test computer at home. At this time I'm not using the bmg ebuilds at all. As part of this, gstreamer-0.8.0 and gstreamer-0.8.0-r1 are installed. However, when I do emerge -Dupv world, portage tells me it wants to install gstreamer-0.6.4 and gst-plugins-0.6.4.

What could possibly want an older version of gstreamer/gst-plugins? Also, are these two programs slotted?
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the gnome-base/nautilus-2.6.0 ebuild is emerged with the "gstreamer" USE flag enabled, it creates a dependancy on the 0.6 series for some reason, although logically it should create a dependancy on the 0.8 series.

So, basically, it should be 0.8, but either the ebuild maintainer didn't update the ebuild to pull it in or there's some other extenuating circumstance that makes him not want to depend on 0.8.

And yes, gstreamer and gst-plugins are slotted; you can have 0.6 and 0.8 installed at the same time.
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip -- it looks like the culprit might be the nautilus-2.6-icon_view_gst_audio_preview.patch.

I filed a bug on the Gentoo Bugzilla -- it's bug #45620.
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The API of gstreamer 0.6 and gstreamer 0.8 is different, so until the patch is updated to use gstreamer 0.8 (which has only just had a stable release) gstreamer 0.6 will still be required.
joem
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superjaded wrote:
When the gnome-base/nautilus-2.6.0 ebuild is emerged with the "gstreamer" USE flag enabled, it creates a dependancy on the 0.6 series for some reason, although logically it should create a dependancy on the 0.8 series.

So, basically, it should be 0.8, but either the ebuild maintainer didn't update the ebuild to pull it in or there's some other extenuating circumstance that makes him not want to depend on 0.8.

And yes, gstreamer and gst-plugins are slotted; you can have 0.6 and 0.8 installed at the same time.

Lets not spread false information..
You just did an emerge -Dupv world and decided that it was the nautilus ebuild that was bringing in a package despite the fact that the build is correct.
No this has nothing to do with the nautilus ebuild at all. There is nothing in the ebuild that calls for =media-libs/gstreamer-0.6. Patches certainly do not effect the deps of an ebuild..there are several guides that explain how ebuilds work.

Have you checked through all of the packages that emerge world wants to update for any hard deps on gstreamer-0.6? A good start may be to check the ones with gstreamer use flags and work from there.
Ricky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps an
Code:
# emerge -Dupv world --tree
could help clarify things?
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the vexing thing -- at the time that I was puzzling over this, none of the other packages that were listed for updating had a gstreamer dependency.

From the discussion in my bug report, it does appear that it's not nautlius that is causing this behavior. The computer that I'm having this problem with is one that I use primarily for testing*, and I don't have any computer related things to do with this machine over the weekend, so I'm considering unemerging all of gnome-2.6.0_rc3, reemerging it, and seeing if it happens again.

* To give you an idea, my ultimate goal is to convert this computer from using KDE to gnome-2.6 and the freedesktop.org xserver (not xorg). 8O Needless to say, this is not something I want to do with my work laptop right off the bat.
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unemerging gnome and its dependencies, and reemerging seemed to fix this issue.
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dep in the nautilus ebuild is a >= not a = dep. Also note that the deps of a package are solely those specified in the ebuild and in any eclasses it inherits; there is no magic involved.

As foser suggests in the bug, there are no ebuilds in the portage tree with a =gstreamer-0.6* dep; as he also suggests, there damn well should be, as many applications still rely on gstreamer 0.6.

This does however make it odd that this behaviour could have occurred.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: