Bootstrapping freezes everytime
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
compucoder
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Bootstrapping freezes everytime Reply with quote

Hi guys, has anyone experienced this problem and if so what would be a way to fix it.

I am trying to install gentoo 1.2 on my system from a stage1 build

I have a p166 - 5 series cpu with a 2 MB SIS on board vid card a 3Com etherlink III ISA card.

Everything goes according to plan right up to the bootstrap compiling. It goes for about 3 hours without trouble and then usually just stops. The system is still responsive and I can exit the make but it never continues. I have no idea what is the problem. I have configured my CFLAGS to use i586 with an optimization level of 2.

I am completely lost on this one.

I would start from a stage2/3 but I got a i586 system and the premade iso's are for an i686

thanx
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in the bootstrap does it stop (what is on the screen at that point)? There are a couple spots during the build of glibc that go a _very_ long time on a slow cpu like that without any output, and it might just appear to be frozen...
compucoder
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt write it down , sorry - will need to do it again - i vaguely remember something about an .opt module. The stopping I am mentioning isnt just for a little wait, it was stuck on this step for over 2 hours, finally I just stopped the build

If there are compile commands that take over 2 hours on a slow machine let me know and I will just wait it out

thanx
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, they take a while, but not 2 hours. Definately post the screenful or so that shows everything before the freeze, that will probably be helpful.
compucoder
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got any ideas how I can capture the screen data? I only got my linux box hooked up at the time I am installing(one net connection) - How do you take a "print screen" - also , how do you mount the floppy, I can then save it to floppy and paste it here from windows

thanx
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any spare RAM that will fit that mobo that you can swap with what you've got in there? Or can you take half the RAM out at a time and see if that changes anything?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: