View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisR
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Failsafe/default login since editing /etc/rc.conf KDE gone Reply with quote

Installed Gentoo, compiled X and KDE (3 days solid on P166), tested X OK, tested KDE OK, wanted X to start at boot up, added set DISPLAYMANAGER=kdm and ' rc-update add xdm default', X restarts, Xfree login, not KDE, no KDE option just failsafe and default, loads of users, all system ones + my one of my own. Just to add to confusion, have Diamond RIVA128 card in, emerged NVIDIA accelerated drivers, now boot up can't find NV drivers, can't find accelerated drivers, not sure of name anyway and I can only get a failsafe/default session. Where have I gone wrong? :?:
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will KDE start using starx?
chrisR
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:04 am    Post subject: StartX Reply with quote

I had X & KDE working before I updated the Nvidia drivers to accelerated, now StartX stops with a fatal error. I've noticed that the Nvidia module isn't loaded at boot time, I get an error message telling me the driver failed to load. load "NVDriver" is added to the modules.Autoload file.

Another added complication was the original PC set up, which X & KDE working was with an AGP ATI Xpert@Work Vid card, however when the OpenGL support seemed to be unavailable, I swapped it for a PCI Diamond RIVA128 instead, reconfigured X and that's where it all went pear shaped.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: