Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
sys-kernel/usermode-sources - not there now - where?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
galahad7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: sys-kernel/usermode-sources - not there now - where? Reply with quote

Hi All,

In the Doc "Gentoo Linux Developer's guide to system testing with User-Mode Linux. The first thing specified is to emerge "sys-kernel/usermode-sources". Umm - its not there!

Can anyone advise what happened to User-Mode-Linux on Gentoo.
(I'm running 1.4_rc3, freshly installed)

Many thanks
Stephen
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I do see /usr/portage/sys-kernel/usermode-sources. Maybe you need to emerge rsync?
galahad7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Doesn't seem to be there though Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Carlos. Awesome.

You're right in that it is there in /usr/portage.

Here is the terminal output I'm getting...
>>>>>
general root # emerge sys-kernel/usermode-sources
Calculating dependencies
!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy "sys-kernel/usermode-sources" have been masked.

!!! Error calculating dependancies. Please correct.
>>>>>>

So then I checked the web view of packages at http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/pkgs/sys-kernel/index.xml and you will see that "usermode-sources" is not listed.

This is my first day on Gentoo. Be great if it was something simple!

Thanks
Stephen
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, as it turns out, usermode-sources is masked for x86 because the devs aren't quite confident that it's stable (although that doesn't necessarily mean that it's unstable). Add
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
to /etc/make.conf and you'll be set.
galahad7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: That did the trick - what about CVS Reply with quote

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the good tip. I updated to "~x86" and it found the sources. Fantastic.

I have a related query. I need to run openldap 2.1 and I have seen that version 2.1 is in CVS (2.1.12). When I do
emerge \>= openldap-2.1.12
I'm getting a response that all ebuilds that could satisfy >=openldap-2.1.12 have been masked.
(Latest stable version is 2.0.27)

Do you know how does one get the 2.1.12 version from CVS?

Many thanks
Stephen
galahad7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Openldap OK; needed -x86 Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm getting the hang of it.
I found the openldap-2.1.12 package under /usr/portage... and used -x86 rather than ~86 in make.conf. (Saw the need for -86 in the dependencies inside the openldap 2.1.12 portage document).

Thanks for your help Carl to get me on track.

Regards
Stephen
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Openldap OK; needed -x86 Reply with quote

galahad7 wrote:
I found the openldap-2.1.12 package under /usr/portage... and used -x86 rather than ~86 in make.conf. (Saw the need for -86 in the dependencies inside the openldap 2.1.12 portage document).
I might be wrong, but I think "-arch" means that the ebuild is unstable for that arch. At the very least, the man page for emerge says to never put anything besides "~arch" for your architecture in there.

Still, I guess if you really need 2.1, and you don't mind some potential instability, it's not such a bad idea - but I'd leave it out for other emerges.
galahad7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: use of -86 Reply with quote

Thanks,

I didn't know at the time that -86 meant unstable.

I'll try compiling from original downloaded source and build it that way (which is likely to lead to the same result I guess since portage is all about compiling from source).

I'm setting up User-Mode Linux which is one of the many reasons for choosing Gentoo. :-) I can try things in a UML Linux version without breaking the machine.

All the best and thanks for your help to get me going.

Regards
Stephen
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: use of -86 Reply with quote

galahad7 wrote:
I didn't know at the time that -86 meant unstable.
I think it's supposed to exclude that package for x86, though I'm not entirely sure. In any case, as you said, you'll probably get the same results whether you build it yourself or use the ebuild.

Anyway, good luck with Gentoo and UML. That's another one of those intriguing technologies that I've been meaning to try someday.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: