Run out of space!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsdt-gentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Run out of space! Reply with quote

Hello ... I am getting the error 'cp: writing '/boot/kernel-2.4.22-ben2-r5' : No space left on device' when i am running through the install. I am running the command 'cp vmlinux /boot/kernel-2.4.22.ben2-r5' from /usr/src/linux. I have followed the partitioning instructions exactly and the /dev/hda2 which is an 800k bootstrap partition is mounted at /boot.

Need some help, want gentoo badly!! :roll: :lol:[/b]
x2z
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

800k boot partition? Jeez... no wonder... there isn't enough room for the kernel image
swgeckoman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you post the output from

Code:
#mount
swgeckoman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

errr... just double-took and saw the 800k. It's going to take some serious culling to get a kernel small enough to fit in there.
gsdt-gentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: answer Reply with quote

/dev/ROOT on / type xfs (rw,noatime)
webfreak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kernel image size can run upwards of 1mb, depending on what drivers you compiled into the kernel and what you selected to compile as modules. My kernel image is 1.8mb (that's large, I compiled a bunch into it). You should make your /boot partition at least 10mb to accomodate possibly multiple kernels, especially if you plan on having more than one image residing in your grub configuration. Hope this helps.
gsdt-gentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: ok ... Reply with quote

but that was the instruction from the install guide! how do i make a bootstrap bigger than that?? I have a mac so i'm using mac-fdisk and i used the b option and put it on /dev/hda2, there was no mention of 800k being too small for this!

Well .. where do I go from here? Or how do I make a bootstrap larger using mac-fdisk??

Thanks for your hekp so far!
gsdt-gentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also gonna be using yaboot not grub
webfreak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is going to suck, but you're more than likely going to have to repartition your disk to make /dev/hda2 bigger. If you have any space left at the end of the disk, you could possibly make another partition larger than your current boot partition, and remount it on /boot and just leave the existing one alone. That way you wouldn't have to delete your other partitions, repartition your whole disk and reinstall gentoo. I don't know though. I don't even use a boot partition, I just mounted /dev/hda1 on / (I made it ~500mb) and everything works fine. I don't know anything about macs though, or yaboot. Here's my partition scheme if it'll help any:

Code:
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda1             471M  323M  125M  73% /
/dev/hda2             9.6G  182M  9.4G   2% /home
/dev/hda3              60G  6.9G   53G  12% /usr
/dev/hda5             4.8G  126M  4.7G   3% /var
none                  252M     0  252M   0% /dev/shm
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ok ... Reply with quote

gsdt-gentoo wrote:
but that was the instruction from the install guide!
Could you clarify where in the install guide it mentions an 800K boot partition? That definately needs to be corrected.
LabMonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure, but i had tht problem too when i was installing. I decided to start over, cause i was confused too. Worked right for me everyother time though. maybe instead of entering +800mb, he just entered +800, and it defaulted to kb? thats my guess
webfreak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe because 800k "should be enough for anyone". :)

gsdt-gentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: ok ... Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
gsdt-gentoo wrote:
but that was the instruction from the install guide!
Could you clarify where in the install guide it mentions an 800K boot partition? That definately needs to be corrected.

yeah, hang on! it doesn't say exactly 'Use an 800k bootstrap'! it just doesn't mention that you will need a bigger one! I think I've sorted it! i've re-formatted now (no spare space)

now got a 20mb bootstrap!! will post install link in a moment, just need to find the section!!
Emrys
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using a PPC machine? Bootstrap means a different thing with PPC. You only need 800K for the bootstrap on PPC because it doesn't actually contain the kernel, just OpenFirmware information to get you booted into your OS(s). If you are NOT using a PPC machine then you are following the wrong directions. What type of machine do you have?

EDIT: Correction. Bootstrapping has two meanings for PPC. You still need to bootstrap if you are starting from a Stage1 to get your base system compiled.
gsdt-gentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: ok ... i'm confused Reply with quote

ok ... basically i am confiused! can someone explain before i run away back to ydl (i don't want to but this is complex and a bit beyond me)

i have installed all the software and no luck!! the install guide says to copy vmlinux over to /mnt/gentoo/boot, i did that but yaboot wrote over it! how do i do this??
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to the ppc forum from Installing Gentoo.

You need a bootstrap partition, and it only has to be 800k. I would recceommend against trying to complicate matters with a /boot partition as well. just don't bother with one and modify the arguments to yaboot accordingly. bootstrap != /boot

Puggy
joaopft
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ok ... i'm confused Reply with quote

gsdt-gentoo wrote:
ok ... basically i am confiused! can someone explain before i run away back to ydl (i don't want to but this is complex and a bit beyond me)

i have installed all the software and no luck!! the install guide says to copy vmlinux over to /mnt/gentoo/boot, i did that but yaboot wrote over it! how do i do this??

Just follow the ppc gentoo install guide. Maybe you are confusing the bootstrap partition with a /boot partition. On x86 you need a separate /boot partition with the kernel image for the machine to be able to boot. With ppc you don't need a separate /boot partition. Now, the /boot partition is not the bootstrap partition that is used by open firmware to boot powermacs. You only need 800K for the bootstrap partition, since it will not contain the kernel, or any big files.

Now, for starters, you only need a 800k bootstrap partition and a / partition. If you follow this route, make the / partition >= 10G, or you'll be out of free space quite fast. You can have a /boot directory in the root directory of your linux instalation, with all the kernel images you need in there. When you configure /etc/fstab, make sure you comment out the line

Code:

#/dev/BOOT              /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime          1 1

You might have mounted the bootstrap partition in /boot, and so the system wrote the kernel onto bootstrap partition. If you comment out that line, the kernel images will go to the /boot directory.

If you want a separate /boot partition, you will have to create an additional partition (different from the bootstrap partition and large enough to accomodate all the kernel images and System.map files you plan to put in there) and mount it then on /boot; e.g. if this new partition is hdxy, put this line in /etc/fstab:

Code:

/dev/hdxy              /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime          1 1

Either way, it will work
xavier10
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: why not another boot partition Reply with quote

Hello,

I actually followed the installation guide, that is I created the 800k bootstrap partition for the boot loader and the root partition, on which the kernel lives now. BUT I usually hear people recommending creating a separate partition for the /boot.

What is better and why ? I would say that a separate /boot partition would be safer especially if it is not mounted but I do not know for sure. And I feel not so well because my kernel lives on a root partition which is not so usual for me (I installed many other distros before).

Regards,

Xavier
joaopft
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: why not another boot partition Reply with quote

The kernel file is only read at boot, so you won't get more performance by puting it into a separate partition. Users other than root can't, by default, mess up with the /boot directory, so it won't get easily corrupted. /boot will have a small number of files, anyway, so leaving it in your root partition won't degrade performance of your system.

If you use an umounted partition for /boot, each time you compile a kernel (and, with gentoo, you will be doing that a lot) you will have to go through the hassle of mounting and unmounting your /boot partition. And this won't prevent a buggy or badly configured kernel from being put in there by you, so what's the use of it?

For safety, I do keep at least 2 kernel images in the /boot directory, and configure yaboot so that I can boot all of them. I let one of them be a well tested and tried kernel, and the other (or others) be the "experiments" (be it new kernel versions, or alternate configurations). If you do this, you will never have to face the problem of an unbootable linux system.

With regard to partitions, what might make sense is to put /home, /usr and /var in separate partitions. You can always do that later, if you leave enough free space in your hard disk; this way, you can choose the sizes of /usr /var and /home that fit your particular system.
xavier10
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: separate partitions Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer.

My concern was that the partition could get corrupted and the kernel be messed up.
I agree with and practice the safety policy which recommands to keep several versions of the kernel under hand and keep them available on boot...

About the safety of the partition : I am using ext3 and have sometimes seen some "error being corrected on my partitions" at startup (I have had to unsafely reset the computer a few time due to full X crash). That is the reason of my concern.

About separate partitions: I always create a separate /home in case I reinstall everything. This might be the case of my old PC laptop soon (if I decide to erase its old install with a gentoo one).

Regards,

Xavier
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: