View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koprimer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is driving me nuts... There are so many shared libraries in Xorg yet I find they can exist in three locations:

/usr/lib/modules/
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/ (opengl libraries)

I've done an emerge -C xorg-x11 && emerge xorg-x11 twice now... from what I can tell, it installs .so libraries...
But the snapshots on dri.freedesktop.org compile .a (libglx, libdri, libdrm, libGLcore) and .o (savage_drv) libraries (along with the kernel modules). when you install the snapshots, it just adds these libraries in the most common places. And aparently in xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1, .so libraries preceed over .a and .o libraries.... so you're forced to either remove or rename the .so libraries so it can load the new *.a libraries and the savage_drv.o (before it was Loading the .so ebuild version which of course doesn't support drm).

This alone is enough to make you wanna pull your hair out, but it doesn't stop there. You start noticing once you load X, that not all the new .a libraries get along with the .so libraries... For one, I can't load X11 because libvgahw.so require symbols from savage_drv.o that doesn't exist! I don't have a single libvgahw.a on my computer, and the snapshots didn't install one, and from what I can tell, everyone is loading .a libraries in order to get DRI working with savage. Here's just an example (it also has troubles with vbe):
Code:

(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(II) Loading sub module "vgahw"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/libvgahw.so
(II) Module vgahw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
     compiled for 6.8.2, module version = 0.1.0
     ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 0.7
Required symbol vgaHWGetIndex from module /usr/lib/modules/drivers/savage_drv.o is unresolved!
Required symbol vgaHWGetIndex from module /usr/lib/modules/drivers/savage_drv.o is unresolved!
Required symbol vgaHWGetIOBase from module /usr/lib/modules/drivers/savage_drv.o is unresolved!
Required symbol vgaHWGetIOBase from module /usr/lib/modules/drivers/savage_drv.o is unresolved!
etc..

Does anyone know what could solve this library conflict that I'm having. I am installing xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1 with dlloader (but I've tried with out as well)... Is it that I just have a bad dri snapshot, maybe the day I grabbed it was the day they decided not to include libvgahw.a? I wish I could say that I could wait for an ebuild, but I've read that there is no plans on making an ebuild that includes dri savage support since the drivers are insecure.. Any help would be much apreciated.

*EDIT* Found .a modules on the dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots site...
http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots/extras/ they're from 02/01/2005
now, lets hope if I replace my .so libraries with these .a libraries, things will work
koprimer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finaly, got dri enabled and working.

Now looking back, when I was installing the CVS version, it probably would have been good if I unemerged (emerge -C xorg-x11) before installing the CVS version. If this is the reason why people (including myself) are having problems getting DRI enabled (or even DRM recognized), then we need to add this to the How To and stress that it's a crucial part of the process.

Now, how I got DRI to work with xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1 (not the CVS version), was after downloading and unpackaging the common and savage snapshots (in that order), then installing, I noticed that X was still loading .so modules... and by checking the snapshots, you can see that they come with .a and .o libraries... So, after installing, you have to make sure that X is loading .a and .o modules and not .so... you can get the extra modules (if you don't have them already) from http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots/extras/

I copied the modules from the snapshots/extras to the location provided by my Xorg.0.log and renamed the .so's. The modules that I had to replace are (and again, I used my Xorg.0.log file as a reference, I doubt this is really a good idea to behonest):
Code:

/usr/lib/modules
     libpcidata.so -> libpcidata.a
     libvgahw.so -> libvgahw.a
     libvbe.so -> libvbe.a
     libddc.so -> libi2c.a
     libfb.so -> libfb.a
     libxaa.so -> libxaa.a
     libramdac.so -> libramdac.a
     fonts/
          libbitmap.so -> libbitmap.a
          libtype1.so -> libtype1.a
     linux/
          libdrm.so -> libdrm.a
          libint10.so -> libint10.a
     input
          kdb_drv.so -> kdb_drv.o
          mouse_drv.so -> mouse_drv.o
     drivers
          savage_drv.so -> savage_drv.o

Maybe there's some setting that I'm overlooking that allows you to compile everything as .a (since this is the library format that the snapshots use). Hope this can be helpful, I probably won't update my xorg now for a long time...
Motoi-Sakuraba-Milfeuille
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now, how I got DRI to work with xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1 (not the CVS version), was after downloading and unpackaging the common and savage snapshots (in that order), then installing, I noticed that X was still loading .so modules... and by checking the snapshots, you can see that they come with .a and .o libraries... So, after installing, you have to make sure that X is loading .a and .o modules and not .so... you can get the extra modules (if you don't have them already) from http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots/extras/

I never knew about those .so, .o and .a things, so I guess I got really fed up. But now that we have a concrete explanation for why this might not be working.... I'll start on this again, albeit only when I feel like it :)
Hey koprimer, would it work without installing the common and savage snapshots? They compile all right on my system, but they don't cooperate when modprobed!
Also, when you downloaded those modules from the snapshots/extras/ directory, aren't those supposed to be created when you run the common/savage script inside the dripkg/ directory? the script compiles the kernel modules (savage and drm) and the Xorg driver, I'm sure. therefore, the snapshots/extras/ stuff shouldn't matter. Right?
EDIT: the modules.tar.bz2 only provides the bare essentials, it seems... and I really need the savage module to work!
Code:
savage: disagrees about version of symbol drm_open
savage: Unknown symbol drm_open

same thing continues with different drm_*s.
And when I modprobe drm, it says:
Code:
kobject_register failed for drm (-17)
[<c024a513>] kobject_register+0x43/0x50
etc

What's going on?
s0Ma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll have to revise my previous statement.

i thought i had dri working, since direct rendering showed up as "yes" in glxinfo, and glxgears worked in twm.

although, whenever i emerged another wm (gnome, fluxbox) i'd get graphical corruption whenever starting X, and if i killed X and went back to console, the display would be totally garbled.

i solved this by disabling the kernel framebuffer entirely (who needs it?), and now everything is working fine and dandy.

i did a fresh install on my laptop, and did this:

downloaded gentoo-sources, compiled agpgart, via-agp, and drm as modules.
emerged xorg
downloaded latest savage-snapshot from dri.freedesktop.org, installed it using the script.

boom. dri working perfectly. ~300fps in glxgears.

this begs the question, is the cvs-method really necessary nowadays?

EDIT: i almost forgot. i have agpgart, via-agp, drm and savage in my modules.autoload.d.
koprimer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motoi-Sakuraba-Milfeuille: Your problem seems to be a fairly common problem with dri... The error you're receiving is due to a problem with your kernel. It seems to happen a lot when you don't include agpgart as a module. The best I can suggest if you use 2.6, is to find out what your card's PCI bridge is, then set these settings in your kernel (mine was VIA, you can always check by lspci | grep -i bridge):
Code:

Device Drivers --->
     Character Devices --->
     <M> /dev/agpgart (AGP Support)
     <M>     VIA chipset support (if you use VIA)
     <  > Direct Rendering Manager (you don't need it)

make && make modules_install
cp .config /boot/config-X.X.X
cp System.map /boot/System.map-x.x.x
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-x.x.x (or whatever you call it)

Then install the savage modules from the savage snapshot, and add to your /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
Code:

agpgart
via-agp (this would be intel-agp if you have an Intel bridge)
savage

Good luck, this is the best I can do without needing to know more info about your error.

*EDIT* also, you are right, the savage snapshots build and install the kernel modules you need... but, you must have agpgart compiled into your kernel... the extras is just the extra modules not included in the common snapshots, you do not have to compile the modules... I used the modules to supply the .a and .o libraries to replace the .so's that I had installed... if compiling agpgart doesn't solve your problem, then it might help to specify your kernel version along with any dmesg and /var/log/Xorg.0.log errors... so we can help you further in solving your problem..
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks koprimer! Now the modules will be modprobed, the CVS version of X still doesn't install completely, but at least it installed the Savage driver.
However, running X gives symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: DRIQueryVersion.
Quote:

downloaded gentoo-sources, compiled agpgart, via-agp, and drm as modules.
emerged xorg
downloaded latest savage-snapshot from dri.freedesktop.org, installed it using the script.

OK, first off, this sounds impossible. Why?
The Xorg-X11 you get by emerging only has the Savage driver 1.1.27, which doesn't do DRI at all.
The savage-snapshot only gives you the kernel modules.
You have to get the Savage 2.0.0 driver from the xorg-x11 cvs, compile it.
EDIT: if you use the savage-common snapshots, you don't really need to get the DRM from CVS and compile it.... right?
EDIT2: I don't see any .a files in /usr/lib/modules or /usr/X11R6/lib/modules. They're all .so files. koprimer's module trick won't work for me, I guess.
Here's what the log says in the end:
Code:

blablablabla Savage driver 2.0.0
blabla.
blablablabla write combining range.
SAVAGE(0): Sufficient Videoram available for 3D (yes, DRI is finally working!)

And it just terminates there. When I press the ctrl-alt-fx key to get back to the terminal, it says that
X: symbol lookup error: /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/savage_drv.so: undefined symbol: DRIQueryVersion
Apparently, Google says nobody else on the internet has had this error with Savage chips. I'm CVS-ing another Xorg from cvs again.... sigh. Why is this so hard?
s0Ma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OK, first off, this sounds impossible. Why?
The Xorg-X11 you get by emerging only has the Savage driver 1.1.27, which doesn't do DRI at all.
The savage-snapshot only gives you the kernel modules.
You have to get the Savage 2.0.0 driver from the xorg-x11 cvs, compile it.
EDIT: if you use the savage-common snapshots, you don't really need to get the DRM from CVS and compile it.... right?
EDIT2: I don't see any .a files in /usr/lib/modules or /usr/X11R6/lib/modules. They're all .so files. koprimer's module trick won't work for me, I guess.
Here's what the log says in the end:

impossible may be, but glxinfo says what it says (Direct rendering: yes), and glxgears runs and gives me ~300 fps. am i missing something?

EDIT: oh, i get it. actually, the savage snapshot i downloaded off of dri.freedesktop.org installed savage drivers into my X11 installation. so apparently it isn't kernel-modules only.
koprimer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koprimer wrote:
I've done an emerge -C xorg-x11 && emerge xorg-x11 twice now... from what I can tell, it installs .so libraries...
But the snapshots on dri.freedesktop.org compile .a (libglx, libdri, libdrm, libGLcore) and .o (savage_drv) libraries (along with the kernel modules).

Just to clarify, the snapshots install .a and .o libraries that you need along with the DRM/savage kernel modules.

Moto-Sakuraba-Milfeuille: You need to load the .a and .o libraries... Please reread everything I said carefully... You are obviously loading the savage_drv.so library when you need to be loading the savage_drv.o library (which was installed by the snapshot)... I can't vouge for the CVS version, all i can say is, if you install the CVS version, make sure to emerge -C xorg-x11 first...

If you are loading the .a and .o libraries, then please reply with the output of
Code:
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep Loading
so we can see which modules you are loading... if you've been reading up on my posts, you would notice that at first I was getting Unresolved Symbol errors due to loading the wrong modules.. The only module that I'm loading, that is an .so library, is the libfreetype.so module.

Cheers!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it working.... the thing finally compiled! Although I think I used the savage driver in the CVS installation instead of the .a and .o files from the snapshots. glxgears fps is at 425.4.
I'll post something up later, it was all using the .so files.
So, what koprimer did was:
Emerge xorg-x11, install the dripkg. This installs .a files into /usr/X11R6/lib/modules. However, the X thing likes to use .so files first, before .a files. Naturally, this made my xorg-x11 emerged installation not work. However, koprimer overwrote his older 1.1.27 savage_drv.so driver with the savage_drv.o, which was version 2, and replaced every other .so in the directory with the new .a and .o modules with the snapshots/extras/modules.tar.bz2. Therefore, his worked. Apparently, the emerged xorg-x11 server also recognizes .a and .o formats.
But what I did was emerge the CVS version of xorg-x11, which provided the savage driver 2.0 in .so format.
However, I got some questions:
So I muck around in /usr/lib/modules, right? not /usr/X11R6/lib/modules?
And you don't muck around in the /usr/lib/modules/dri/ directory, only the /usr/lib/modules/drivers/ directory?
EDIT: what's the difference between the savage_dri files and the savage_drv files?
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time i tried to post the first post, it froze on me. I guess it's not really stable... or probably it's just really random. Anyway, I got DRI working with the framebuffer. Hah!
Using 2.6.11-gentoo-r2, go to Device Drivers/Graphics Support/and if you have a Savage chip, you can enable everything except the S3 Savage support. Probably you can enable it if you turn off the "Console Acceleration" option below it, but I'll just leave it to other people to find out.
The drawback is that vesafb will now have to redraw the console, and it's noticeably a slower by just a bit, but oh well. At least you get DRI working.
The CVSed xorg still didn't install fully, but at least I got the driver. That's all that matters. I tried renaming the drivers, to get them working just like koprimer's, but it just gave more unresolved symbol errors. Good luck everybody. If the xorg miscompiles, just remember: either it's the CVS's fault, or something is misconfigured... for me, it was the CVS... I downlaoded the CVS again, and it compiled fully, but would only install halfway. Don't worry.... all you really need is the one single savage_drv.so file (or .o file or .a file).
Files you need:
kernel sources (with agpgart AS MODULE and your PCI bridge also AS MODULE)
common-savage snapshots, which install both the DRI driver, and the kernel modules required for savage DRM. Think of it as a jigsaw puzzle... won't work unless they're all pieced together.
Or, if that did not work, try the CVS Xorg. Otherwise stick with your emerged xorg-x11.
The new driver should be in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/savage_drv.so, or .o, or .a.
Congrats to myself, everyone who got DRI working, and thanks to koprimer for actually making this sound sensible. For those still struggling, check your kernel config, check the CVS again, make sure you know which files you need, and good luck (you shouldn't need it).
s0Ma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aww damn. now i'm gonna have to get the framebuffer working with dri. ;)

glad you finally got it working. i am fairly sure that the savage snapshot i downloaded installed a savage_drv.o, though. just to be sure, i checked it out.

my savage-20050421-linux.i386.tar.bz2 contains:

dripkg/savage/savage_drv.o
dripkg/savage/savage_dri.so

so i guess it does indeed install 2.0.0 drivers for xorg.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, tell me if you get crashes or hard locks. I got crashes very often after about 10 hours of operation and straight compiling with framebuffer in the kernel, and X NOT running. It's really weird. I'm compiling lots of stuff in the kernel without framebuffer now, and see if that will crash less.
The main reason why I want framebuffer working is so that I can pass vga=789 to the kernel. Everything looks so much better like that, but I heard that in the 2.6 kernels, there's now another option or something. video=something. Hopefully.
s0Ma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no crashes or hard locks here. been running for approx 24 hours straight without any problems. i haven't turned the framebuffer on, tho. ;-)
s0Ma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just had to verify, so i tried it again from the very start.

recompiled kernel with agpgart, via-agp and no direct rendering manager. (and no framebuffer ;-))
emerge xorg WITHOUT dlloader (tried with dlloader first, but wouldn't work)
download latest savage-snapshot from dri.freedesktop.org (currently running 20050428 snapshot)
installed using script (./install.sh)
added agpgart, via-agp, drm and savage to modules.autoload.d
reboot, aaand...

everything worked directly this time as well, although my Xorg.log.0 did say all the usual about sufficient ram being available for 3d, it didn't say anything about 3d acceleration being enabled, does this matter?

anyway, glxinfo says Direct rendering: yes, and glxgears runs around ~300fps as usual.

do notice that i didn't do any CVS stuff at all, i only did what's mentioned above.

EDIT: emerging xorg with dlloader is what's causing the unresolved symbols. just verified this on my stationary box (radeon 9600).
dmvianna
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any problems with the framebuffer, but notice that I use the VESA driver for it, and the SAVAGE driver for Xorg.
Code:
title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.11-r4
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r4 root=/dev/hda5 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,1024x768-16@60

I've enabled built-in vesafb-tng, and savage with everything enabled as modules in the kernel. I've that in order to use qingy. No glitches whatsoever! :D

*But notice that I've tried hard until I realised that savagefb didn't work in the console. If you want to try it yourself, good luck! :mrgreen: