etc-update question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diabx0r
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: etc-update question Reply with quote

Ok... I have around 30 files that need updating in the /etc folder, and I was wondering what the PROPER way to use etc-update is?

I have screwed my configs far too many times trying to get it working.

Can someone tell me EXACTLY what I have to do, so I won't want to slit my wrists after the process is completed?

:o :lol:

Thanks!
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you type in the number of the file to be edited, it will show you the differences. Then you can make an intelligent judgement as to whether that file should be updated or not. That is teh safest way that I've found to update /etc without causing much damage.
diabx0r
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of the file?

O_o

Well, I am more confused than ever now.

lol
_Nomad_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what it is that you want explained here... But I'll give it a shot. When you run etc-update it's show you a list of config files that need updating. Have a look through that list and see if there are any files that you know you've edited manually, obviously you wouldn't want to replace any files such as /etc/fstab or /etc/rc.conf.

Anyway. If the list contains no files that you know you've edited manually just press -5 to have them all updated all at once. If you on the other hand recognize a few of them press -1 to update them one at a time, meaning that you confirm each file.

The downside really with etc-update is that you'll have to know which files that you need to keep the way they are, it doesn't separate files that have been edited by the user himself from the ones that simply contains the defaults... So naturally things will inevitably get ruined from time to time if you can't keep all those things in your head. But it's just a matter of understanding gentoo... After a while you'll know at once which files are safe to overwrite and which are not...

Ohh... I think there's a program somewhere around here that's called cfg-update, I haven't tried it myself but it's appearantly supposed to be a bit more userfriendly...

Good luck and happy updating :D
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you run etc-update, the files are listed before the menu. Next to each one is a number. Type in that number to see the changes in the file. If the file looks foreign to you (ie. you haven't edited it before), then it's safe to replace the original with the update. If you have edited it, be careful and choose wisely. There's really no "safest" way to keep updated, it just takes common sense.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: