Lexmark Z53 USB Printer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SillyPants
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: Lexmark Z53 USB Printer Reply with quote

I have a Lexmark Z53 USB printer and I can't seem to get it to, well, print. I have a /dev/usb/lp0, but when i try
Code:
$ echo "Test 123" > /dev/usb/lp0

nothing happens. I'm running KDE 3.0.3 and went through the "add printer" dialogue, during whch it seemed to have located my printer on the USB bus. I downloaded Z53 drivers (I think, this is the part I'm shaky on) from the gimp-print ebuild and it was listed in the Add Printer dialogue. S I go to print, select my printer from the dropdowns (it says that its ready and accepting jobs), but nothing prints. cupsd is running, but i can't get it to work with CUPS or LPD.
Code:
$ lpr testfile

also does nothing. This is the first time I've been serious about making the Linux switch, and previously I went with distros that held my hand through printer configuration, so I'm not sure I fully understand the paradigm here.

Any help?
prberens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use cups-1.1.14 with gimp-print-4.2.0 (newer versions will not work). I am using them with my USB Lexmark Z52 with no problems. I don't think that GID printers (win-printers) will work if you echo data directly to the port (or at least I have never gotten them to).

Good luck!
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does Gimp-print have z33 drivers ???? It'd be a damn site easier to use that than to get the lexmark drivers working.....spent hours with no success.....even following the howto's on linuxprinting.....

Cheers
Dale.
SillyPants
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prberens wrote:
Use cups-1.1.14 with gimp-print-4.2.0 (newer versions will not work). I am using them with my USB Lexmark Z52 with no problems. I don't think that GID printers (win-printers) will work if you echo data directly to the port (or at least I have never gotten them to).

Good luck!

SWEET! it works with those versions. Thanks very much. Anyone know why the newer versions don't cut the mustard?
kozmic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SillyPants wrote:
prberens wrote:

Good luck!

SWEET! it works with those versions. Thanks very much. Anyone know why the newer versions don't cut the mustard?

Most likely because the 4.3.x is development, and 4.2.x is stable.

Lexmark z52 will not work with 4.3.x, but with 4.2.2-rc1 (need to downgrade cupsd too)
mlybarger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: network printing? Reply with quote

i haven't had a chance to check and try different versions of gimp-print/cups with my lexmark z53. i was able to use the lexmark binary drivers and print locally with cups, but can't print from a remote machine. i'm using gentoo 1.4, up2date.

can anyone comment on if cups/gimp-print 4.2.x works on this printer for network printing?
nmr_spectrometer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: network printing? Reply with quote

mark_lybarger wrote:
can anyone comment on if cups/gimp-print 4.2.x works on this printer for network printing?

If you have your Z53 connected locally to a linux box using the Lexmark-supplied linux binary driver, you can print from remote windows boxes. Simply set up a raw queue in cups (e.g. z53raw) pointed to the USB port that the printer is on (and use "raw" as the printer driver type). As a samba share it works great. (Of course install the windows driver on the remote machine).

If you want to print from a remote linux box, and you are using the lexmark binary driver (on both local and remote boxes), you're going to be s.o.l. printing from the remote box. The lexmark binary driver connects to the printer directly to talk to it (bi-directional communication being required to get the 2400x1200 resolution) instead of the normal unix way of things, so you can't use the driver to print to anything but a local port.

If the gimp-print 4.2x series drivers follow the usual unix way of printing then it oughta work remotely.
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried to make my z33 work, and by all means it should ...but if i try to print anything i get an error (different programs give me different errors), so i killed the lpd and ran lpd -F which gives me this everytime i try to print:

2002-12-15-11:46:44.739 bakhos lexmarkz33: Make_temp_fd_in_dir: cannot create tempfile '/var/spool/lpd/lexmarkz33/temp00Y51NvX'

....i took drastical measures and ran chmod -R +w /var/spool/lpd ...but nothing happens :(

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: