Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16PilotJumper wrote:
I'm leaning away from Toshiba, simply because my dad has had three of them for his company, and all have had some kind of problems (cooling fan didn't work, generally sluggish, etc).

Funny you say that, all the 1s we have had at work have had serious problems, but i think it was more abuse and the laptops couldn't take it. id be more inclined to get a ibm thou, just for there support of linux. or there is always tadpole laptops :)
arand
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16PilotJumper wrote:
I can't believe that Dells fall apart, but I'll take your word for it. Leaning towards IBM anyway because I've just always wanted a Thinkpad.

Of course, Centrino > Celeron because it has more letters! :P

Anyone have any experience with IBM Thinkpad 600X's @500mhz?

I use a 600X, I upgraded the ram to 256 megs and it runs fine. I run Fluxbox on it and it zips along pretty well, also have the 2.6 kernel running on it without a problem. I have not tried to use the modem. I payed 500 for it a year ago, it had some extra ram and it came with a big docking station that I have not used. The thinkpad has made two trips to japan and back and did a full gentoo install on its own over a couple of days. I guess what I am trying to say is that I reccommend them.
F16PilotJumper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to have held price pretty well...$300 at least still :roll:

Probably because they are reliable and just as fast as the Celerons, lol.

There are a couple people selling pretty complete packages on eBay that I'm looking at. One of them has 512MB of RAM already, but who knows what that will go for...

I think this is a great example of how new != better. A lot of new laptops I see have quality issues or configuration issues (Celeron, lack of RAM, etc) while still costing tonds of $$$. Obviously, demand is high for a reliable laptop that gets the job done, even if it's not "as fast".

Heck, I played games on my 233/Voodoo 3 up until 2001. I feel like the race for Gigahertz is not quite the best thing for computer technology - it lets software companies get lazy, as well as putting the emphasis on one statistic over a balanced system. Why buy a 2.8ghz P4 laptop with 256MB of RAM...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: