Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Choosing a kernel:how stable is 2.6 on sparc64? Experiences?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Choosing a kernel:how stable is 2.6 on sparc64? Experiences? Reply with quote

Hello all!

First, let me say THANKS for all the great help here along the way to my first Sun box install. I appreciate the answers to what I know sound like stupid questions!

I'm at the part of choosing a kernel. I've been reading :
http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm/docs/sparc-2.6.x/

And wondering how old the doc is. If most things will work with 2.6...I'm thinking it would be a good idea to move on toward the future..and not have to worry about all the changes you have to do when upgrading from 2.4 to 2.6.

Can ya'll give me your experience with 2.6 vs 2.4 on things as 'gotchas' on installs...hardware that doesn't work...etc.

I'm basically gonna dedicate this box as a fairly powerful email server...mostly headless for the time being, but, here at the beginning..I'd like to play with it with the GUI...going to use KDE for this one.

Anyway...just would like to hear some up to date advice and experiences with the 2.6 on sparc64 at this time if you can...

Many thanx!!

cayenne
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The doc isn't that old. It was last updated for 2.6.3, and 2.6.4 doesn't have anything that needs big doc updates...

2.6.x on sparc64 is generally a Good Idea (TM) unless you have one of the strange boxes that don't work yet :D
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Thanx Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
The doc isn't that old. It was last updated for 2.6.3, and 2.6.4 doesn't have anything that needs big doc updates...

2.6.x on sparc64 is generally a Good Idea (TM) unless you have one of the strange boxes that don't work yet :D

Thanks for the info!! I've got an Ultra2 with dual 300Mhz processors...that should work?

C
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanx Reply with quote

cayenne wrote:
Thanks for the info!! I've got an Ultra2 with dual 300Mhz processors...that should work?

Yes.
spam_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.6.4 is stable for me on sparc64. U1E/200 with Creator (non-3D) here. Typing this from it, X and firefox work perfect :D
smeets_marc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.6.3 is working nicely on SMP U60 here. But I must say I haven't experienced the big performence boost 2.6 should give.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: