Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Lila Theme Official Thread (Part 1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 41, 42, 43  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is anyone making the Lila theme every going to make a ROX port or will that have to be my job? :wink:
9-speed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pwnz3r wrote:
So is anyone making the Lila theme every going to make a ROX port or will that have to be my job? :wink:

There is already a rox port available: http://lila-theme.uni.cc/scripts.html...
scaba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

salmo wrote:
announcing liladiction 0.1

Ok, here's a first run at liladdiction:
http://salmo.gotdns.org/projects/lila/liladdiction

Right now I would say its at "it works for me" status. I've done some testing, but I'm sure there are probably bugs I missed or did not encounter. Please report any here or private message me with details if you run into any and I will try to fix 'em ASAP. Patches are always welcome (either bugfixes or feature additions). It's pretty procedural even though most of the work is done in two classes.

working fine here. the only thing i noticed is a little typo.

line 52 should be
Quote:
print "Running liladdiction.. action=%s, prompt=%s" % (options.action, options.prompt)

other than that... great work!

9-speed wrote:
I tested liladiction and noticed no problems.
I was only wondering why Lila-industrial has blue colors in it? Now I lost my all time favorite Industrial theme with Lila colors :(
Also, I found that there is no gtk1 theme anymore, why is that?

Gosh, a lot has changed since I last updated...

hmm... i haven't noticed any blue hues in lila-industrial... but maybe i didn't look close enough and i can't check right now, as my gnome doesn't let me... crashing every time i try to access "Desktop Preferences" :(

about the gtk1 theme... that's my fault. i thought no one was using this anymore, so i kicked it. you can find it in dgt84's tarballs on 'programmer-art.org'. i will put it back in if you need it.

i've been trying to do a new gdm theme based on 'gentoo-round'.
here are four previews lila-round preview1, lila-round preview2, lila-round preview3, lila-round preview4.
the difference being the positioning of the 'g' thingy. preview1 is all centered. preview2 is horizontaly centered but lifted a bit, preview3 is the original 'gentoo-round' image, preview4 is 'gentoo-round' lifted a bit.
atm i prefer #2 or #4, what do you think?
9-speed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scaba wrote:
about the gtk1 theme... that's my fault. i thought no one was using this anymore, so i kicked it. you can find it in dgt84's tarballs on 'programmer-art.org'. i will put it back in if you need it.

Thats ok, I fixed it for myself and made my own lila industrial gtk 1 and 2 themes again, as I think industrial still looks the best. If you decide to include the gtk1 theme again you should add it only to the industrial theme because it's an industrial gtk1 theme (note that the gtk1 theme is lila and the current Lila-Industrial-Gentoo theme is blue, so maybe that should also be changed then).

As for the gdm theme, it looks good... I like nr. 4 best!
How about putting the login dialog off-center and the G thingy centered?
citizen428
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@salmo:
Nice work on liladdiction, it works like a charm.

@scaba:
1. Re-including the GTK1 theme would be nice, because there's still one app (sylpheed-claws) I heavily rely on which uses it. The CVS version has support for GTK2, unfortunenately it's buggy as hell.

2. The lila-round GDM theme looks nice, I think I like preview 1 the most.

@All, especially dgt84:
Don't you all think it's time to come up with another name for the theme? Sure, "Lila" is the original color and name and everything, but given the number of mods for quite a lot of things, maybe there should be something new? Or am I the only one who thinks names like lila-green just don't sound right? If nobody else feels this way, just ignore this little rant and I'll go back to my cave and shut up... ;)
9-speed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

citizen428 wrote:
@All, especially dgt84:
Don't you all think it's time to come up with another name for the theme? Sure, "Lila" is the original color and name and everything, but given the number of mods for quite a lot of things, maybe there should be something new? Or am I the only one who thinks names like lila-green just don't sound right? If nobody else feels this way, just ignore this little rant and I'll go back to my cave and shut up... ;)

I personally think the project should keep Lila as name. It's short, original and I also think it sound good...
scaba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9-speed wrote:
Thats ok, I fixed it for myself and made my own lila industrial gtk 1 and 2 themes again, as I think industrial still looks the best. If you decide to include the gtk1 theme again you should add it only to the industrial theme because it's an industrial gtk1 theme (note that the gtk1 theme is lila and the current Lila-Industrial-Gentoo theme is blue, so maybe that should also be changed then).

could you please send me your lila industrials then? doesn't make sense to me if i mess around with the theme when it's already done, especially if i can't check the result since my gnome still doesn't let me... or you could also put i up yourself. that might be easier.

@salmo: is liladdiction able to handle multiple gpg-sigs? if not then this function should definately be added, i think.
EDIT: judging from the code i'd say the gpg sig doesn't matter as long as it's in the keyring.

citizen428 wrote:
@All, especially dgt84:

9-speed wrote:
I personally think the project should keep Lila as name. It's short, original and I also think it sound good...

i agree with 9-speed and think that 'Lila' should be kept. names like 'lila-green' might sound a bit strange to german speakers, but to non-german speakers 'lila' is just a name like 'gentoo' or 'linux' for that matter.

Last edited by scaba on Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
9-speed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@scaba: I don't know where I can "put it up" (see below) so I just post it. Here is a package with Lila gtk1 and 2 industrial style, the way I use it. Note that I changed the background color of the gtk1 theme because it wasn't the same as the gtk2's bg (from 0.9, 0.9, 0.9 to 0.95, 0.95, 0.95).

I was also wondering which ftp servers we're using for what... correct me if this is wrong:
We have snooper's ftp://lila.serveftp.org/ for anonymous uploads
And rezza's ftp://lila-theme.uni.cc/ for the releases, non anonymous uploads

Also, the wiki is down for quite some time now. Does anybody know more about that?
rezza
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9-speed wrote:
Also, the wiki is down for quite some time now. Does anybody know more about that?

We can use a wiki on my server if people need a replacement if we need to - http://rezza.uni.cc/lilawiki
scaba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9-speed wrote:
@scaba: I don't know where I can "put it up" (see below) so I just post it. Here is a package with Lila gtk1 and 2 industrial style, the way I use it. Note that I changed the background color of the gtk1 theme because it wasn't the same as the gtk2's bg (from 0.9, 0.9, 0.9 to 0.95, 0.95, 0.95).

thanks a lot. i uploaded a new 'lila-gtk-extras'.

snapshot // ebuild // tarball
note: you should either unmerge the old version first or delete 'Lila-Industrial-Gentoo' manually as it's now simply 'Lila-Industrial'.

9-speed wrote:

I was also wondering which ftp servers we're using for what... correct me if this is wrong:
We have snooper's ftp://lila.serveftp.org/ for anonymous uploads
And rezza's ftp://lila-theme.uni.cc/ for the releases, non anonymous uploads

'lila.serveftp.org' is intended for development where anyone can submit icons and stuff.
'lila-theme.uni.cc' is intended to host the snapshots, ebuilds and tarballs.

rezza wrote:
9-speed wrote:

We can use a wiki on my server if people need a replacement if we need to - http://rezza.uni.cc/lilawiki

i've got no idea what happened there but do we still need a wiki? *wonder*
or could we put all that info onto the website (including a complete todo list)?
9-speed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rezza wrote:
9-speed wrote:

I think it's ok to use your wiki, but then we should completely switch to the new wiki and stop using the old one, otherwise things will get lost in between. If we want to transfer the wiki we need to contents of the old one though, does anyone has that?

EDIT:
@scaba: I think editing the wiki is a lot easier than the website for which one has to log in to the ftp server...

EDIT2:
I imported the old wiki from googles cache, which has a version from 29 june...
salmo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear liladdiction is working well for everyone!

@scaba: as you guessed multiple GPG keys are fine as long as they're in the keyring. It just verifies that the signature for the tarball is cool by running `gpg --verify [tarball].asc`. I'd like to get rid of some of the system() calls, but there's not a GPG binding that I know of, and I don't want to throw in a bunch of rediculous dependencies.

And thanks for the typo note. Reminds me of when I was little, would get a 100% on a test but spell my own name wrong on the top. doh!

@citizen428: I know I've grown attached to the name. It's short, doesn't have an obvious meaning, and is kind of catchy. Whatever we named it, it would have to be ___-green anyway and my fingers have gotten used to Lila. So, yeah, back to the cave :).
citizen428
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

salmo wrote:
@citizen428: I know I've grown attached to the name. It's short, doesn't have an obvious meaning, and is kind of catchy.

That's the problem, for us German native speakers it has an obvious meaning, because it's the German word for purple. And as scaba pointed out, that sounds kind of strange for us (think purple-red, purple-green, purple-white).

But anyway, as this is a community project, and the majority likes the name, I have no problem at all with it. And now I'm going back to my cave playing with svg-utils. :)

[edit]
Regarding the Python bindings for GnuPG:
http://pyme.sourceforge.net/

Code:

# esearch pyme                                                                                                           
[ Results for search key : pyme ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  dev-python/pyme
      Latest version available: 0.5.1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 334 kB
      Homepage:    http://gopher.quux.org:70/devel/pyme
      Description: GPGME Interface for Python
salmo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@citizen428: oh yeah, that whole German thing. I'll go duck into my own cave now. [sound of hand slapping forehead] I'm probably the wrong person to be talking about this, because I still only use the purple theme. The other colors are a little too primary/bold/something for my taste. I've been working on a color combo for my boring taste in colors (like the ones at my blog), but haven't gotten real far with it.

Thanks for the pointer on pyme. I think my next plan is get rid of all system() calls, since a strategically placed mal-named file could potentially cause serious problems, especially since the script is run as root. I'm pretty sure I can get rid of emerge system calls, I just need to look a little more at the emerge internals and see how to call what. And I'm sure there's a nicer way to unbzip2, untar the snapshot tarball. That only leaves GnuPG. I don't want to "force" everyone to install pyme for just this little script, but what I'm thinking of doing is making it run-time optional, where it uses it if you have it, and it warns you before system()ing if you don't.

@all: I was thinking after looking at gnome-look.org, would people be interested in coming up with alternate "home" icons for other distro's? Since switching to Gentoo, I haven't been keeping up with which ones are "hip with the kids" these days (I guess RedHat/Fedora, Debian, SuSE, Slack...?). I know our primary focus is Gentoo, but as things start becoming more and more stable, it might be nice to be able to pull from a larger pool of users. And of course it fits well into that whole world domination plan thing ;).
scaba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

salmo wrote:
[...] I'm probably the wrong person to be talking about this, because I still only use the purple theme. The other colors are a little too primary/bold/something for my taste. I've been working on a color combo for my boring taste in colors (like the ones at my blog), but haven't gotten real far with it.

i'm also using primarily purple. one reason is that it's the most complete color and the other is that purple is kinda special 8)
but yeah, we probably need to overhaul our color mods...

salmo wrote:
@all: I was thinking after looking at gnome-look.org, would people be interested in coming up with alternate "home" icons for other distro's? [...] I know our primary focus is Gentoo, but as things start becoming more and more stable, it might be nice to be able to pull from a larger pool of users. And of course it fits well into that whole world domination plan thing ;).

i'd love if non-gentoo users would use Lila as well. but it would cause some extra work to remove all the 'g' and replace it with some other fancy things. if we decide to go for a non-gentoo approach as well, we should probably only have some neutral version w/out anything distro specific. anything else would be hell 8O

btw, here's a new lila-gdm theme... i've got two (fully working) previews...
>> lila-round_pre1 // lila-round_pre2

...and the appropriate screenshots

i18n is still missing as i couldn't find a gdm theme which has (somewhat) complete i18n, i.e. industrial doesn't have it :roll:
please feel free to improve those themes...
rezza
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scaba wrote:
btw, here's a new lila-gdm theme... i've got two (fully working) previews...

...and the appropriate screenshots

i18n is still missing as i couldn't find a gdm theme which has (somewhat) complete i18n, i.e. industrial doesn't have it :roll:
please feel free to improve those themes...

Pre1 looks absolutely awesome. Great job there :)
Snooper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

over the next few days i am going to build a gentoo hardened server using the template gentoo uses in the infastructure. when this is all done i'll be moving the ftp stuff over to that server following the server layout that gentoo has sent forth i'll have a mail server also so hey maybe i can host a mail server for lila if any one is interested. by the way building the new server is just for my own learning experience because hey it sounds fun and would bring me one step closer to converting people in a windows nt world over to linux yes this is my plan :twisted:
salmo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snooper wrote:
... i'll have a mail server also so hey maybe i can host a mail server for lila if any one is interested...

Don't know what others think, but I'd love if we moved from this message board to a proper mailing list with searchable archives. I compusively check my email, but sometimes I forget to check the board and have to play catch-up. Yes I know I could set it up to mail me new messages, but then I'd still have to go to the board to reply and I'm lazy lazy lazy.

@scaba: lila-round_pre1 is beautiful! pre2 is very cool too, but seems maybe a bit crowded? I'll differ to the more artistic folks. But they're both crisp, clean, and lilalicious. They may make me start using GDM again ;).
makzu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

salmo wrote:

Don't know what others think, but I'd love if we moved from this message board to a proper mailing list with searchable archives. I compusively check my email, but sometimes I forget to check the board and have to play catch-up.

I concur. A mailing list would be easier to post to, as well.

Back to the wayback machine. I really like Snooper's mimetype icons, but the different ROM icons look a bit generic. I'm going to try to fix that.

And speaking of mimetypes, do SNES ROMs (.smc files) have their own mimetype? If so, they should have an icon too.
And the mome raths outgrabe.
citizen428
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

salmo wrote:

1. Thanks for the pointer on pyme.

2. I'm pretty sure I can get rid of emerge system calls, I just need to look a little more at the emerge internals and see how to call what.

3. I don't want to "force" everyone to install pyme for just this little script, but what I'm thinking of doing is making it run-time optional, where it uses it if you have it, and it warns you before system()ing if you don't.

ad 1. No problem at all.

ad 2. I have a link to a somewhat older description of the Portage API (December 2002). One of the devs gave me the link when I needed it for some project of my own. Although it's almost sure to be outdated, it may give you some useful pointers.

http://www.lordvan.com/Projects/Linux/Gentoo/Portage/doc/api/

ad 3. Yes, that sounds sane.

@ALL
I'd also strongly vote for mailing lists, as IMHO they are much easier to keep track of. I can't even count how many times I lost my subscription to this thread... :(

What about two mailinglists, one for the iconset, and one for the utils?
Snooper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all sounds good i am almost done with the gentoo server build just have to install the network utils and what not then onto selecting the other software for the new tasks.

i was looking around for the mailing list stuff and found an app cald mailman does anyone else have any idea of what to use for the mailing lists? and maybe what else you would like to see available for this project?

i think i'll be needing soon to add more memory to this machine i upgraded the nic and video already and i think i'll drop a 40gb hdd i have on my shelf in it as well i just have a small 9gb in it know:-)
citizen428
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snooper wrote:
i was looking around for the mailing list stuff and found an app cald mailman does anyone else have any idea of what to use for the mailing lists?

Mailman's fine, especially its web interface with the archive function and everything.
salmo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snooper wrote:
... i was looking around for the mailing list stuff and found an app cald mailman does anyone else have any idea of what to use for the mailing lists? and maybe what else you would like to see available for this project?...

First off mailman is great. It's become kind of the standard mailing list management software AFAIK.

Second, I guess my ideal vision would be to have the typical setup for a software project. A website with links to CVS, docs, snapshots, a little "about", mailing list(s), this thread, and screenshots. Also I think keeping the wiki around could be good too or setting up a new one. We could keep and update docs there, create seperate nodes for requests, and anything else that may come up. Of course, it would be nice to house the snapshots and tarballs there. I guess ideally, everything we have, but more centralized with a mailinglist superceding this thread. We'd keep the CVS stuff at freedesktop.org, though. That's my vision anyway.

The danger in this of course, would be making sure everything gets backed up off site so if something happens (server lights on fire from being too excited that it now has such a wonderful purpose, you're abducted by aliens bent on stopping everything purple, etc.) it would be easy to pick up the pieces and set up shop somewhere else.
Snooper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone want to step up and be the web manager i can setup the server and security but when it comes to making a webpage and what not i'm lost i took ohe an html class back 98 or 99 while in college and well i don't think it ammounted to much. backup is important and i didn't give much thought on that. it's easy enough to backup on my side but for any reason i am unavailable well... i'd say it would be a good idea to keep a backup of the main parts like the web pages ftp data and what nor on another server for safe keeping that is remote.

for logging in and doing things ssh will be enabled for those who need it with an account i would also like to have anonymous access to ftp without write and when people want to submit something they can do it via the web front end that will login to the ftp server and upload the file...

for the moment i'm looking at
iptables for firewall
apache/mod_ftpd for web/ftp
and mailman for mailing lists
what more might i need? or others want?
Snooper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hosting a very large stage4 image would also do the trick, i do everything in a vm the archive and drop it off on what ever computer so if the server can go down from time to time when there have been major changed to software and what not an image can be made uploaded some where and then if all the things you said happen all you would need is find a machine extract the image and kill of my dyndns info or point it else where lila is back in business!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 36 of 43

Jump to: