Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Lila Theme Official Thread (Part 1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 41, 42, 43  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, SourceForge has denied my request for project space :cry:
I've sent in a support request to see why...

Anyone know anywhere else I could try? Basically what I want is cvs access (so I can add developers) and maybe a mailing list (so we don't have to use these forums all the time for stuff specific for the theme).
dreas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savannah?
Freshmeat?

*shrugs*
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreas wrote:
Savannah?
Freshmeat?

*shrugs*

From what I can tell, Freshmeat is just an index of all the software, it doesn't host the stuff itself... :(

And Savannah isn't looking so good either:
savannah.nongnu.org wrote:
You are welcome to host your project in Savannah if it falls within one of these 4 groups:

Software Project
A Free Software package that can run on a completely free operating system, without depending on any non-free software. You can only provide versions for non-free operating systems if you also provide free operating systems versions with the same or more functionalities. Large software distributions are not allowed; they should be split into separate projects.
Free Documentation Projects
Documentation for Free Software programs, released under a Free Documentation License.
Free Educational Textbook Projects
Projects aimed to create educational textbooks, released under a Free Documentation License.
FSF/GNU projects
Internal projects of the FSF and projects that have been approved by the coordinator of the GNU project, Richard Stallman.

kaput
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Gentoo has an art page. Since a number of your icons are Gentoo-specific, I say contact a mod or jump in #gentoo on freenode. Who knows...maybe they'll host it. AFAIC, it's good enough! :wink:
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vidar wrote:
After trying to create a few icons, the only one I've been able to succeed at is a beep-media player icon. All I've been able to really do is do a grad. swap... You can download it here:

http://geocities.com/n_ick2000/bmpsvg.html (yes I know geocities is horrible)

I've now gotten the file and it's now in the set (or will be in the next release). Very nice work, though I should add that the document size should be 48x48, borders should be rgb[.15, .1, .2] and be 1.5 thick, plus all the icons have a slight drop shadow. I changed this in your icon, I hope you don't mind :)
Also, I've also made an xchat icon, which will be in the next release.
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaput wrote:
Well, Gentoo has an art page. Since a number of your icons are Gentoo-specific, I say contact a mod or jump in #gentoo on freenode. Who knows...maybe they'll host it. AFAIC, it's good enough! :wink:

Excellent idea, and after a nice long chat with Kurt Lieber I've decided I'm going to keep hosting the files, but release ebuilds so that the files are mirrored on the gentoo mirrors and my server isn't hit. Also, we will be adding an entry to the Logos and Themes page on gentoo.org with a nice preview of the theme. I'd also like to ask if there is any interest in a mailing list so that we can collaboratively develop the icons, or would everyone prefer the forums (for additions, edits, requests, etc)?

Edit: Anyone know how I would go about writing an ebuild for the theme? The gentoo-artwork ebuilds are a bit complicated... :(
Unne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a feeble attempt at making a Gaim icon, thanks to your tutorial. http://chwombat.net/random/svg/gaim.svg If it's good enough I'll try to make some more maybe.

As far as hosting, I don't know of any place offhand that hosts icon themes and allows multiple developers. The forums seem like a good enough medium for collaboration. There was a pretty sizable thread for another icon set (the Gentoo one with all the circular transparent icons).

I'll try to work up an ebuild (if someone else doesn't do it first). (EDIT: No I won't. Bit over my head too, sorry.)

EDIT again: I just noticed that every icon I try to make is semi-transparent. I have no idea why, since it doesn't look that way in Inkscape. Blahg.
Integral
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. I've got it up now. :)
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unne wrote:
I made a feeble attempt at making a Gaim icon, thanks to your tutorial. http://chwombat.net/random/svg/gaim.svg If it's good enough I'll try to make some more maybe.

That's excellent! The drop shadow was somewhat outside of the document box, so I moved it so it's all within the document, and I made the highlight gradients diagonal. I've added it into my local version, so it'll be in version 0.2. Great work, and please keep it up!
Unne wrote:
As far as hosting, I don't know of any place offhand that hosts icon themes and allows multiple developers. The forums seem like a good enough medium for collaboration. There was a pretty sizable thread for another icon set (the Gentoo one with all the circular transparent icons).

Ok. Then we'll continue to use this thread for requests, additions, edits, ideas, etc...
Unne wrote:
EDIT again: I just noticed that every icon I try to make is semi-transparent. I have no idea why, since it doesn't look that way in Inkscape. Blahg.

Where is the icon transparent? It's working fine here!

I think I'm going to explain the main parts of the icons in my original post, so that if others want to help they can easily see, for example that the border should be 1.5 and such.

Edit: Ok, I've completely rewritten my original post to make it easier to install and contribute to the theme. Make sure to take a look at it!
Unne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just my buggy beta Gnome or my eyes are playing tricks on me, but when I tint my panel a certain color, the whole icon is tinted. It looks transparent in Eye of Gnome too. Just the icons I make, not any of the ones from your set. :( But I don't know.

Gave Gvim a shot. http://chwombat.net/random/svg/gvim.svg
geekX
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really cool icon set. Like the stock icons especially - most themes don't provide any or they suck (except for bluecurve's, but it has crappy folder, open and mime icons)

I think some icons should have less purple in them, though. Maybe if there was some purple in each icon, but also some color. for example, the home icon would have a brownish folder, but a purple gentoo logo. Find would be purple shaded paper, but different color looking glass, etc.

stock icons I am missing:
history and bookmarks toolbar images in epiphany (and add to bookmarks, new tab and send to menu buttons, but I never see them anyway)

other icons:
evolution (or some generic mail icon)
gaim
xmms (or some generic music icon)

I also have 'gnome-volume-control' and 'run application..' buttons on my panel, but they are less of an issue.

these are the only icons (except for home, trash and epiphany) I use on my desktop. I know you've made a gaim one already.

All the millions of others would obviously also be fine, but these are the only ones that are making me consider going back to bluecurve...

I wish I could help, but I can't put two colors together, let alone draw. :)

Anyway - this is the best new theme I've seen in ages. (I'm no fan of aqua-wannabe type themes)

PS: do you know of a cool xmms skin to go with this?
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unne wrote:
Maybe it's just my buggy beta Gnome or my eyes are playing tricks on me, but when I tint my panel a certain color, the whole icon is tinted. It looks transparent in Eye of Gnome too. Just the icons I make, not any of the ones from your set. :( But I don't know.

Strange... : ? :
Unne wrote:
Gave Gvim a shot. http://chwombat.net/random/svg/gvim.svg

Great! I added a few highlights, hope you don't mind! Anyway, it will be in the next release also!
I'm keeping a changelog with the files, so assuming I don't mess up everyone will be getting credit for the icons s/he submits for the theme. You continue to own the copyrights to the graphics, but they are released under the GPL (or if you wish, Public Domain).
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geekX wrote:
really cool icon set. Like the stock icons especially - most themes don't provide any or they suck (except for bluecurve's, but it has crappy folder, open and mime icons)

geekX wrote:
I think some icons should have less purple in them, though. Maybe if there was some purple in each icon, but also some color. for example, the home icon would have a brownish folder, but a purple gentoo logo. Find would be purple shaded paper, but different color looking glass, etc.

We are planning on doing multiple color themes using the same icons, so perhaps this could be one of them?
geekX wrote:
stock icons I am missing:
history and bookmarks toolbar images in epiphany (and add to bookmarks, new tab and send to menu buttons, but I never see them anyway)

Good point, I'm not sure what the icons have to be called, but I'll get to them at some point. I'm still quite confused about all the gnome stock icons and how they need to be set up, because there aren't really many good examples (and Bluecurve has icons for both GNOME and KDE, plus their custom theme engine, it's too confusing!)... :(
geekX wrote:
other icons:
evolution (or some generic mail icon)
gaim
xmms (or some generic music icon)

Evolution - Done
Gaim - Done
XMMS - Working on it
Expect them in the next release in a few days (or maybe a week or two, depending)
geekX wrote:
I also have 'gnome-volume-control' and 'run application..' buttons on my panel, but they are less of an issue.

The other icons from the menu will show up when you update to gnome 2.6 when it comes out, and I'm working on the volume icon!
geekX wrote:
Anyway - this is the best new theme I've seen in ages. (I'm no fan of aqua-wannabe type themes)

Thanks again! :D
geekX wrote:
PS: do you know of a cool xmms skin to go with this?

Sorry, but I don't...
Unne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, please feel free to change them in whatever way you want, adding highlights or whatever they need. So far as copyrights and credits, I'm not really worried. Whatever you like.

http://chwombat.net/random/svg/opera.svg
dvc5
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgt84 wrote:
Evolution - Done
Gaim - Done
XMMS - Working on it
Expect them in the next release in a few days (or maybe a week or two, depending)

I look forward to it. :D

Green Is Good
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unne wrote:
Yeah, please feel free to change them in whatever way you want, adding highlights or whatever they need. So far as copyrights and credits, I'm not really worried. Whatever you like.

http://chwombat.net/random/svg/opera.svg

Another nice icon :) This one is also added to the next version!

======================================================

Also, thanks to dreas we now have an ebuild for the themes, called x11-themes/lila-artwork. I submitted it as a bug here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44192
khiloa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful theme!
Registered Linux user #398059!
jcc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't post to bugzilla right now (lazy me) but I really think it shouldn't depend on ximian-artwork. gnome-themes-extras also features Industrial, and yet, has far less deps than the ximian pkg. Just my useless opinion :)
Unne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://chwombat.net/random/svg/xclock.svg
http://chwombat.net/random/svg/clock.svg
http://chwombat.net/random/svg/clock2.svg

Hope those are semi-useful. The clock2.svg one looks good as part of a gdesklet that draws clock hands on a blank face, even though it doesn't match the rest of the icons very well.
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unne wrote:
Hope those are semi-useful. The clock2.svg one looks good as part of a gdesklet that draws clock hands on a blank face, even though it doesn't match the rest of the icons very well.

They're great! I've added the xclock icon into apps and the other two into misc since they aren't really app icons.

I've also been busy making more icons, and I want to release version 0.2 soon, but I really want to get the theme into Portage first :(
I don't see the ebuild added to Portage yet, and my bug report hasn't gotten any replies...
kaput
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a friendly comment on the ebuild request, encouraging that the ebuild be pushed into portage as there seems to be quite a bit of activity in developing the theme. Maybe if a few others *kindly* suggested the same, it would help. :D
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd mention I've updated my original post to reflect the second release of the Lila Icons for GNOME. The GTK theme is still the same, so you don't need to download that again.
The new version includes some added application, mimetype, and other icons. A changelog is present in the file in the scalable directory which also lists who made what icons (if no author is present it was me).
Unne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Now that I know which icons you're missing, I can start working on more.
Stu L Tissimus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, dude... Awesome work. Being an SVG fanatic, this is amazing. I'd help with this myself, actually (when I have time).

Wait a second. I'm on vacation. I have time!
chouki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: missing icons? bad links Reply with quote

hi,

thank you very much, these icons are very beautiful.
i downloaded the gnome lila 0.2 but some icons are in fact symbolic links to /home/dan/Projects/...

apps:
- gnome-home
- gnome-folder
mimetypes:
- gnome-mime-video-mpeg
- gnome-mime-video-s-ms-wmv
- gnome-mime-video-x-ms-afs
- gnome-mime-video-x-msvideo
- gnome-mime-application
- gnome-mime-application-x-shellscript
- gnome-mime-video-quicktime
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 2 of 43

Jump to: