Gentoo on a limited system.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
browny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on a limited system. Reply with quote

Right I'm going to install Gentoo onto a Cyrix, no jokes about how slow the compilation process will be please.
Firstly the Cyrix will only have a 2GB HDD, I'll be setting 100mb as boot, and 256mb as swap, the rest will be /.
This will be acting as a webserver. I'll want Apache, with php, SQL, and perl running, now while these may not be big modules in them selves to compile, I know very little about the Linux Command Prompt (though I am slowly learning), so I'll want some sort of GUI installed. Will Gentoo, Apache, PHP, SQL and some sort of X windowing system all fit onto a 2GB drive.
Also can anyone reccomend a small GUI which I could compile, one of my friends said it took him 12 hours to compile KDE on a 1.33GHz T'Bird, so I worked out using the 900MHz system in the manual as a reference that KDE will take 4.8 days to compile.
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im running gentoo on a 166Mhz pentium classic, 64mb ram and 2.5gb hdd. I dont have X installed but everything else worked out fine. The compile process took about 24h. I have about 800mb free on the hdd so I dont know about fitting X on you 2gb hdd but you can always give it a shot.
slais-sysweb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2gb is plenty. Allow 2xRAM for swap, 32MB for /boot and the rest for /
If its a web server you really dont need X everthing you need to do for configuration will be command line anyway. If you must have X then a lightweight window manager is best I recomend ICEwm but take a look at http://www.plig.org/xwinman/ for a selection.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On such a pos system you may want to use freebsd. Its smaller and faster even than gentoo. With either OS there is no reason to install X. All configurations will be done on a command line, so why bother w/ X at all. I have a very similar sys (p200/64mb/2gb) and it is pretty full w/ just apache, modPHP, and mySQL. I tried to install X (remote access, long story) , but lacked room.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you post this in Off The Wall for a reason? Seems like it's a better topic for Installing Gentoo...

Moving it there for now. If you really wanted it in OTW for some reason, let me know and I'll move it back.

--kurt
browny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
Did you post this in Off The Wall for a reason? Seems like it's a better topic for Installing Gentoo...

Moving it there for now. If you really wanted it in OTW for some reason, let me know and I'll move it back.

--kurt

I posted in OTW because it wan't really todo with Installing Gentoo, as Gentoo is already assumed to be installed properly, but my first reaction was to post it here, than in OTW.

Anyway, the only reason that I was going to install X was to make config a little easier, but it will make sense to do it from command line. Apache will be configured from http.conf anyway.

I'm going over to netowrking to post a question about ftp servers, the question is here https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=81099#81099
RagManX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I suggest you install some of the programs mentioned in this article? I used that to set up a low memory system that runs very well. Everything mentioned in the article has a portage package available for in in Gentoo. Instead of emerge kde-base once you have finished the basic install, use emerge icewm. That installs the necessary X packages and a lightweight window manager. Using this, I can get up and running in X, with a web browser and 2 rxvt terminal windows in under 30 Meg of memory. Just make sure to read the comments on the article for additional tips on lightweight tools. Use rxvt instead of xterm, and you should be good to go.

RagManX
browny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try some of the stuff from that cookign with Linux article, tomorrow, I've been too busy over the past few days, to do anythign with it yet, and I gotta go to the girlfriends this afternoon.
I have one question though, if he got a multi tasking running 6 tasks, in under 32mb, why can;t other people do it, do we really need 512MB's of ram in the average desktop machine. I know its needed for video, and graphsics manipulation etc, but how may of us need it. I'm using 80mb, atm and all I have running is IE5, and msn messenger.
rant over.....
aki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is great.
There is a tool for everything.
For your purpose I would install OpenBSD, will take you 20 min to have system up and running with Fluxbox, Blackbox (your pick).
Secure by default. Easier to set up as a server for a novice than anything else.

aki
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, please no "BSD v. Linux" arguments. There are plenty of them in the archives, and if this thread turns into another one, it will get locked.
eivinn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I have to state that I don't know what you will be using that GUI for. If it's for setting up your webserver X certainly isn't needed.

I will just give you a hint:
Code:
emerge webmin

If you can't use that intuitive web-interface for setting up your computer then... :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: