Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
no deadkey in new xorg
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pd1986
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Posts: 297
Location: Paris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: no deadkey in new xorg Reply with quote

Hi, after upgrading to the new xorg-server, I can't input deadkey in French anymore, I googled and someone had the same issue for German. They modified /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/de, But I don't totally understand what they did. How shall I modified the that for French? Thanks.

I use xfce4.

By the way, I am trying to configure the keyboard by xorg.conf for X, I found an example from Gentoo Documentation:
Code:

Section "InputClass"
   Identifier "keyboard-all"
   Driver "evdev"
   Option "XkbLayout" "de"
   #Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
   MatchIsKeyboard "on"
EndSection


How could I know the identifier of my keyboard?

Thanks


Last edited by pd1986 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Posts: 7310

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try a git checkout of xkeyboard-config.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yamakuzure
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1372
Location: Bardowick, Germany

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, "Option "XkbLayout" "de"" would be a german layout. A french layout would be:
Code:
 ~ $ ls /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/*fr*
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-latin1.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-latin9.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-pc.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr.map.gz
So you could try "fr".
_________________
I *do* know that I easily aggravate people due to my condensed writing. Rule of thumb: If I wrote anything that can be understood in two different ways, and one way offends you, then I meant the other! ;)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pd1986
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Posts: 297
Location: Paris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
Well, "Option "XkbLayout" "de"" would be a german layout. A french layout would be:
Code:
 ~ $ ls /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/*fr*
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-latin1.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-latin9.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-pc.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr.map.gz
So you could try "fr".


I mean the "identifier", not the option "XkbLayout"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pd1986
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Posts: 297
Location: Paris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:
Maybe try a git checkout of xkeyboard-config.


I will go for a long long trip, I will look at that later.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yamakuzure
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1372
Location: Bardowick, Germany

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pd1986 wrote:
Yamakuzure wrote:
Well, "Option "XkbLayout" "de"" would be a german layout. A french layout would be:
Code:
 ~ $ ls /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/*fr*
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-latin1.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-latin9.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-pc.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr.map.gz
So you could try "fr".


I mean the "identifier", not the option "XkbLayout"
The "Identifier" is just a name and has nothing to do with which layout is actually used. On my laptop, as an example, it reads like this:
Code:
Section "InputClass"
    Identifier  "keyboard-all_de"
    Driver      "evdev"
    Option      "XkbLayout"  "de"
    Option      "XkbOptions" "compose:lwin"
    MatchIsKeyboard "on"
EndSection
The only difference is, that I have re-assigned the (otherwise useless) left Windows-Key to be the compose key. And the Identifier is different. But it really doesn't matter what you name it.
_________________
I *do* know that I easily aggravate people due to my condensed writing. Rule of thumb: If I wrote anything that can be understood in two different ways, and one way offends you, then I meant the other! ;)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pd1986
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Posts: 297
Location: Paris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
pd1986 wrote:
Yamakuzure wrote:
Well, "Option "XkbLayout" "de"" would be a german layout. A french layout would be:
Code:
 ~ $ ls /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/*fr*
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-latin1.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-latin9.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-pc.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr.map.gz
So you could try "fr".


I mean the "identifier", not the option "XkbLayout"
The "Identifier" is just a name and has nothing to do with which layout is actually used. On my laptop, as an example, it reads like this:
Code:
Section "InputClass"
    Identifier  "keyboard-all_de"
    Driver      "evdev"
    Option      "XkbLayout"  "de"
    Option      "XkbOptions" "compose:lwin"
    MatchIsKeyboard "on"
EndSection
The only difference is, that I have re-assigned the (otherwise useless) left Windows-Key to be the compose key. And the Identifier is different. But it really doesn't matter what you name it.


Really? But when we configure the video output, the identifier should be exactly the one that is being used, otherwise it doesn't work. So I think it's should be properly here too. doesn't it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jimmy Jazz
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Oct 2004
Posts: 274
Location: Strasbourg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
Well, "Option "XkbLayout" "de"" would be a german layout. A french layout would be:
Code:
 ~ $ ls /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/*fr*
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-latin1.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-latin9.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-pc.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr.map.gz
So you could try "fr".


fr-latin9 map conflicts with sys-apps/kbd-1.15.5 because of the compose directives that are in the file.
Code:

loadkeys --unicode fr-latin9

Probably, that is the problem. He should try another one.
_________________
« La seule condition au triomphe du mal, c'est l'inaction des gens de bien » E.Burke
Code:

+----+----+----+
|    |::::|    |
|    |::::|    |
+----+----+----+

motto: WeLCRO
WritE Less Code, Repeat Often
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yamakuzure
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1372
Location: Bardowick, Germany

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pd1986 wrote:
Yamakuzure wrote:
pd1986 wrote:
Yamakuzure wrote:
Well, "Option "XkbLayout" "de"" would be a german layout. A french layout would be:
Code:
 ~ $ ls /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/*fr*
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-latin1.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-latin9.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr-pc.map.gz  /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/fr.map.gz
So you could try "fr".


I mean the "identifier", not the option "XkbLayout"
The "Identifier" is just a name and has nothing to do with which layout is actually used. On my laptop, as an example, it reads like this:
Code:
Section "InputClass"
    Identifier  "keyboard-all_de"
    Driver      "evdev"
    Option      "XkbLayout"  "de"
    Option      "XkbOptions" "compose:lwin"
    MatchIsKeyboard "on"
EndSection
The only difference is, that I have re-assigned the (otherwise useless) left Windows-Key to be the compose key. And the Identifier is different. But it really doesn't matter what you name it.


Really? But when we configure the video output, the identifier should be exactly the one that is being used, otherwise it doesn't work. So I think it's should be properly here too. doesn't it?
Yes. If you give your video device and your monitor an "Identifier", you have to use those in the screen section.

But those are 'Section "Device"' and not 'Section "InputClass"'. The relevant part is 'MatchIsKeyboard "on"' - This means that the input device detection will use this class on any - non further specified - keyboard.

The only rule is: Do not give two "InputClass" entries the same Identifier. They have to have a unique one.
man xorg.conf - Section InputClass - Shortened by me wrote:
INPUTCLASS SECTION
The config file may have multiple InputClass sections. These sections are optional and are used to provide configuration for a class of input devices as they are automatically added. An input device can match more than one InputClass section. Each class can override settings from a previous class, so it is best to arrange the sections with the most generic matches first.

InputClass sections have the following format:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "name"
entries
...
options
...
EndSection

The Identifier entry is required in all InputClass sections. All other entries are optional.

The Identifier entry specifies the unique name for this input class. The Driver entry specifies the name of the driver to use for this input device. After all classes have been examined, the "inputdriver" module from the first Driver entry will be enabled when using the loadable server.

(... snip ...)

The second type of entry is used to match device types. These entries take a boolean argument similar to Option entries.

MatchIsKeyboard "bool"

MatchIsPointer "bool"

(... snip ...)

When an input device has been matched to the InputClass section, any Option entries are applied to the device. One InputClass specific Option is recognized. See the InputDevice section above for a description of the remaining Option entries.

_________________
I *do* know that I easily aggravate people due to my condensed writing. Rule of thumb: If I wrote anything that can be understood in two different ways, and one way offends you, then I meant the other! ;)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pd1986
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Posts: 297
Location: Paris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pd1986 wrote:
PaulBredbury wrote:
Maybe try a git checkout of xkeyboard-config.


I will go for a long long trip, I will look at that later.


Hi, I just get back from my long trip. What do you mean by that? Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pd1986
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Posts: 297
Location: Paris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:
Maybe try a git checkout of xkeyboard-config.


I tryied degrading xkeyboard-config from 2.7 to 2.6 even lower, it doesn't solve the problem
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum