Problem with emerge sync on SparcStation 5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Problem with emerge sync on SparcStation 5 Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me out here...
I've had this problem with 'emerge sync' and 'emerge-webrsync' the whole time i've been trying to install Gentoo 1.4 on my SparcStation 5.

Let me just get the following out of the way tho:
1. It's a 170MHz versoion which I have read (repeatedly) has issues running linux.
2. It's only got 64MB of RAM, not enough for Solaris 9, which is why I'm exploring alternatives. (I'm getting more for it soon)
3. I wasn't sure of how to set up the hard disks (ie. number of cylinders, etc), so I let 'fdisk' choose the defaults, even though they differ from what it was originally.

Now, having said all that, I don't know if the problem is because of the lack of memory, or the hard disk partitioning, or if it is caused by the fact that this is a Fujitsu TurboSparc CPU, not the normal SS5 one.

The problem I get is this:
Code:
Fetching most recent snapshot
Syncing local tree...
/usr/sbin/emerge-webrsync: line 73: 25363 Bus error               chown -R root:
root portage
building file list ...
76395 files to consider
./
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 42 bytes: phase "unknown": Broken pipe

rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(515)
/usr/sbin/emerge-webrsync: line 73: 25364 Segmentation fault      rsync -av --pr
ogress --stats --delete --delete-after --exclude='distfiles/*' --exclude='packag
es/*' . ${PORTDIR%%/}

*** Completed websync, please now perform a normal rsync if possible.
     Update is current as of the of YYMMDD: 20040229

I'm worried about the bus error, as I've had NetBSD give me an error like that as well, but I've since installed NetBSD ok and it works fine (although I don't know how to use BSD... I still want Gentoo on it).
The line about the "error in rsync protocol data stream" keeps happening.
'emerge sync' goes through all the motions, and starts deleting a whole bunch of stuff (as I've seen on my other gentoo system), but then gives some form of the above error, and starts the "retry 1 of 3", where it just repeats the process.

Does anybody know if it's just hopeless trying to get any form of linux on this machine? I've heard it's possible, but I just don't know how to get it working :?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Vu.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an ss5/85 running ok with 64MBytes of RAM, but it was *really* pushing it. Sync would often take a half dozen goes to work properly. Websync was generally ok. Upping the timeout settings in make.conf helped.

Now it has 192MBytes of RAM and it's perfectly happy.
Vu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll try upping the timeouts. I'll hopefully be getting the extra RAM very soon.

Vu.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: