Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
bash / libreadline / curses problems !!!! HELP.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiktak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:21 pm    Post subject: bash / libreadline / curses problems !!!! HELP. Reply with quote

Strange behavior in bash, independent from terminal (console, xterm, gnometerm).
When typing long lines, wrapping around the right screen edge to the next line does not work (wraps to the same line). Also, conversely, backspace across the left margin fails and produces a more-or-less garbled line of input (display only, the actual string produced after Newline is ok).

First thought it was TERM-related crap, but i tried everything, copying terminfos from other machines, compiling an unmodified bash myself... nothing worked.

My guess now is that it is a libncurses or more likely a libreadline problem.... very strange.
I use:
bash 2.05a-r3
readline 4.1-r4
ncurses 5.2-r6
(... which are listed as most recent unmasked packages after sync.)

The package.mask blabbers something about more recent readlines being blocked because of lacking bash compatibility - Well, I have not messed with the mask, so why are there incompatibilities with the approved packages??

Quite unsurprisingly, there are no such problems when configuring bash --disable-readline. But without readline support, bash is not very cool.

(Moreover, the Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn feature (complete from history matching already typed portion) fails under X, although it works under console.)

PLEASE help me, I NEED a perfectly working bash! :?
Perhaps tell me a working combination of versions? ( Or better, tell me I am stupid because I have forgotten to activate some option in some file, deep in /etc !? :D )

Note: 2 friends got abso-100%-lutely the same problem. What are we all doing wrong?
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a fancy prompt setting? What is your PS1 variable set to?
tiktak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Thanks for the great hint! That's why Gentoo used those strange \( \) around the ANSI color sequences, I guess.... well, I had removed them in my PS1, used to work well back under SuSE..
Now fixed thanks to you! KUDOS!!! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: