Livecd doesn't like network interfaces
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmgoree
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Livecd doesn't like network interfaces Reply with quote

Hrrrmmm...

I've done a lot of Gentooing on x86 and just decided to take the plunge into SPARC with an old Ultra5 I adopted. As a Forth guy, I have to say I LOVE how intuitive that "BIOS"-ish prom is; I really wish I'd found out about that earlier.

Anyhoo, booting to and through SILO goes fine, as does configuring the hard drives (I was surprised to see IDE, though; I thought sparc was to 1337 for anything but SCSI? Just as well since I had some spare 80G IDE drives lying around.) The problem is with my network interface. lspci calls the onboard ethernet controller a Sun "Happy Meal"(?) model and apparently has its driver built into the kernel since no modules are loaded.

Eth0 doesn't dhcp (Yes, the server is working. Yes, the cable is good.). When I give it a static ip address and static route to the gateway, it still calls all hosts "unreachable". So I added a Linksys card and successfully modprobe'd tulip which is now eth1. Eth1 also won't dhcp and calls all hosts unreachable, though with this pci card I get a good link light (no lights on the onboard controller). /sbin/arp and /sbin/route both display empty tables. lo, incidentally, is fine.

Is my sparc naivite keeping me from seeing some terribly obvious thing I've overlooked? Do I need to do something special to initialize networking?

Thanks
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not using cisco kit on the other end are you?

And yes, the u5/10 is a disaster and Sun should never have shipped an IDE box.
wmgoree
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
You're not using cisco kit on the other end are you?

Nope, Linksys WRT55AG (using the wired part of it, of course). I've had a few of these and they've always been kind of flakey (and the firmware upgrade has been pretty hit-and-miss in my experience).

I noticed I was using a livecd with "minimal" in its name which I can't seem to find anywhere anymore. I'll download a fresh iso and see if that fixes the problem.
ccurran
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Livecd doesn't like network interfaces Reply with quote

Well, I'm on a u10 but not getting as far as you. However, I think the answer to your q is "net-setup"....

wmgoree wrote:
Hrrrmmm...

I've done a lot of Gentooing on x86 and just decided to take the plunge into SPARC with an old Ultra5 I adopted. As a Forth guy, I have to say I LOVE how intuitive that "BIOS"-ish prom is; I really wish I'd found out about that earlier.

Anyhoo, booting to and through SILO goes fine, as does configuring the hard drives (I was surprised to see IDE, though; I thought sparc was to 1337 for anything but SCSI? Just as well since I had some spare 80G IDE drives lying around.) The problem is with my network interface. lspci calls the onboard ethernet controller a Sun "Happy Meal"(?) model and apparently has its driver built into the kernel since no modules are loaded.

Eth0 doesn't dhcp (Yes, the server is working. Yes, the cable is good.). When I give it a static ip address and static route to the gateway, it still calls all hosts "unreachable". So I added a Linksys card and successfully modprobe'd tulip which is now eth1. Eth1 also won't dhcp and calls all hosts unreachable, though with this pci card I get a good link light (no lights on the onboard controller). /sbin/arp and /sbin/route both display empty tables. lo, incidentally, is fine.

Is my sparc naivite keeping me from seeing some terribly obvious thing I've overlooked? Do I need to do something special to initialize networking?

Thanks
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to keep in mind is now that Linksys is owned by Cisco, Linksys equipment may start generating the same problem interfacing with the HME NICs as regular Cisco equipment. This is purely speculation, but something to keep in mind.
wmgoree
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Livecd doesn't like network interfaces Reply with quote

ccurran wrote:
Well, I'm on a u10 but not getting as far as you. However, I think the answer to your q is "net-setup"....

Oddly enough doing it manually gets me farther. If I
Code:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.200 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255

then I at least get a good route table for the network until I add the gateway, at which point my route table goes blank again (cat /proc/net/route or wherever it is still shows the three entries though). I've seen this problem before and it has usually meant a hardware problem (bad NIC, bad cable, etc.) but this is a known-good NIC and cable.

I'm hoping that if the problem were in the bus/mobo/whatever inside the box that the kernel wouldn't detect the card and wouldn't modprobe tulip. Am I wrong about that? Can Linux detect and device-ize a PCI card but still not use it because of a hardware failure? And why isn't tulip loaded in the boot sequence? That seems like a bad sign.

In other news, I got the full CD from oregonstate's ftp but the checksums were bad and only contained stage1 and stage3 which would not bunzip2. I'm guessing this is part of the problem mentioned on the main gentoo page about getting the new release out to the mirrors; I'll just be patient and try in a little while.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Livecd doesn't like network interfaces Reply with quote

wmgoree wrote:
And why isn't tulip loaded in the boot sequence? That seems like a bad sign.

No, that's to be expected. The sparc livecds don't do any kind of hardware detection. You only get what's built into the kernel (hme, le iirc), anything else you have to modprobe.
wmgoree
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: I can arp other hosts on the network but that's all Reply with quote

OK this is truly weird.

I got a new iso from indiana state's mirror. Same problem with the stages (bunzip2 says they're not valid bz2 files when I try to unpack).

Here's the weird thing. I can't ping my gateway (the linksys mentioned above; doubling as the switch for the local network). I can't ping anywhere. Adding a default gateway still erases my route table. I assigned the box an IP address and on a lark started sshd and tried to ssh in from my laptop. It didn't connect, BUT after I tried it my ultra5's arp table suddenly had the right MAC address for my laptop.

So, a frame got through, at least, if not a packet. Has anyone run into this before?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: