VMWARE kernel headers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faithfull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:07 am    Post subject: VMWARE kernel headers Reply with quote

I've emerged VMWare 3.1.1.1790 then I've run /opt/vmware/bin/vmware-config.pl and this script asked me:
"What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernel?". I tryed with :
1) /usr/src/linux/include
he answered: "the kernel defined by this directory of header files does not have the same address space size as your running kernel."
2) /usr/include
he answered: "The directory of kernel headers (version 2.4.18 ) does not match your running kernel (version 2.4.19-gentoo-r7). Even if the module were to compile successfully, it would not load into the running kernel."
3) /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/build/include
he answered: "The kernel defined by this directory of header files does not have the same address space size as your running kernel."

What I need to to?

PS: I own a standard gentoo 1.2 (updated with regularity) and glibc 2.2.5-r6.
Thanks!

Last edited by faithfull on Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VMWARE kernek heades Reply with quote

faithfull wrote:
What I need to to?

Whatever kernel you're running doesn't match the one in /usr/src/linux. You need to recompile the kernel, reinstall it and then install VMWare. Also, each time you upgrade your kernel from then on, VMWare will need to be reconfigured. (there might be a work-around for this -- I never found one, though)

--kurt
faithfull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VMWARE kernel headers Reply with quote

klieber wrote:

Whatever kernel you're running doesn't match the one in /usr/src/linux. You need to recompile the kernel, reinstall it and then install VMWare. Also, each time you upgrade your kernel from then on, VMWare will need to be reconfigured. (there might be a work-around for this -- I never found one, though)
--kurt

I've compiled my kernel only one time (during the installation) so there aren't other versions of prevoiusly compiled kernels. The /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/build/include contains the headers of my current boot kernel.
:idea: Now that you tell me ... I've emerged the NVidia drivers (and NVidia driver is compiled as a module) could it be this the problem? :?

Last edited by faithfull on Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: VMWARE kernel heades Reply with quote

faithfull wrote:
I've compiled my kernel ony one time (during the installation) so there aren't other versions of prevoiusly compiled kernels. The /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/build/include contains the headers of my current boot kernel.

What folder does the /usr/src/linux symlink point to? Also, did you 'make clean' or 'make mrproper' after compiling the kernel?

--kurt
faithfull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: VMWARE kernel headers Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
faithfull wrote:
I've compiled my kernel ony one time (during the installation) so there aren't other versions of prevoiusly compiled kernels. The /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/build/include contains the headers of my current boot kernel.

What folder does the /usr/src/linux symlink point to? Also, did you 'make clean' or 'make mrproper' after compiling the kernel?

--kurt

I've done :
emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources (download kernel 2.4.19-gentoo-r7)
cd /usr/src/linux (which points to /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r7)
make menuconfig
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

The sequence is correct, no?!
Why I must do make clean or mrproper after kernel compilation???
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: VMWARE kernel headers Reply with quote

faithfull wrote:
Why I must do make clean or mrproper after kernel compilation???

You shouldn't have to -- 'make clean' (I think) deletes some of the information that vmware needs to install correctly.

I've had this problem in the past and I've always solved it by recompiling my kernel. Unfortunately, I don't remember the details of exactly why this is necessary, but you can probable determine that from vmware.com or the vmware newsgroups.

--kurt
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, 'make mrproper' will blow away your .config file. Be sure to back that up to some place else. You don't need to make mrproper or clean though.
faithfull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VMWARE kernel headers Reply with quote

klieber wrote:

You shouldn't have to -- 'make clean' (I think) deletes some of the information that vmware needs to install correctly.

I've had this problem in the past and I've always solved it by recompiling my kernel. Unfortunately, I don't remember the details of exactly why this is necessary, but you can probable determine that from vmware.com or the vmware newsgroups.

--kurt

:? Mmm ... I'll try but don't think that will work because the headers of the current kernel are stored (I belive) in /lib/modules/$KERNEL_VERSION/include and this directory is created with the command "make modules_install". If "make clean" deletes something that must go there then some error must warn me if I do "clean" before "modules_install".
The ebuild creator could not think about compile this hateful piece of software??? :evil:
I've already harvest all'information I could on the vmware site but they assume that you have already installed all properly!!!
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rizzo wrote:
In my experience, 'make mrproper' will blow away your .config file. Be sure to back that up to some place else. You don't need to make mrproper or clean though.

yeah, your exactly right. "make mrproper" I use as a last ditch effort when configurations don't go right and you've selected all the right things. (kernel compile errors odd, ya know, that type of thing) It will definately blow your config away.

What I usually do when I compile a kernel is the menuconfig, dep, clean, bzImage module, module_install, emerge nvidia-kernel, emerge alsa-drivers, emerge lm_sensors, /opt/vmware/bin/vmware-config.pl default (uses all the settings you've used before and just does the work). Works great for me.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: VMWARE kernel headers Reply with quote

faithfull wrote:

:? Mmm ... I'll try but don't think that will work because the headers of the current kernel are stored (I belive) in /lib/modules/$KERNEL_VERSION/include and this directory is created with the command "make modules_install". If "make clean" deletes something that must go there then some error must warn me if I do "clean" before "modules_install".
The ebuild creator could not think about compile this hateful piece of software??? :evil:

the /lib/modules/$KERNEL_VERSION/include directory I believe is a symlink to the kernel includes in the source tree. (I say "I believe" because I'm in WINDOWS right now because of some LVM problem.. ugh...)
EDIT: One thing to point out is that "make clean" will never touch your modules directory outside of the kernel tree. "make clean" just removes object files and binaries created during the compile. (within the kernel tree) About the only way to get rid of modules through any command is with mv or rm on /lib/modules/$KERNEL_VERSION :) (which I do after every kernel compilation)
faithfull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VMWARE kernel headers Reply with quote

faithfull wrote:
klieber wrote:

--kurt

I've already harvest all'information I could on the vmware site but they assume that you have already installed all properly!!!

No. I've compiled again the kernel but nothing to do: same questions same answers! :cry:
What i need to do?!?! :evil:
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: VMWARE kernel headers Reply with quote

faithfull wrote:
No. I've compiled again the kernel but nothing to do: same questions same answers! :cry:
What i need to do?!?! :evil:

Again, you should check out vmware.com and the vmware newsgroups. vmware.com has a great support section and the newsgroups have some very responsive, very helpful people on them.

--kurt
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just answer the following questions and maybe we can point out something without continueing to speculate.

run the following commands:
uname -a
ls -l /usr/src/linux
ls -al /lib/modules/`uname -a`/build
gcc -v
emerge -s ^glibc

We'll get a better idea and not just shoot blind rounds into the darkness, hoping to take down a tango.

EDIT: Oh yes.. and post the output from those commands.
faithfull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkane wrote:
Just answer the following questions and maybe we can point out something without continueing to speculate.

run the following commands:
uname -a

Linux dualceleron 2.4.19-gentoo-r7 #1 SMP Sun Sep 8 11:44:55 CEST 2002 i686 GenuineInt
arkane wrote:

ls -l /usr/src/linux

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root root 23 Sep 3 16:24 /usr/src/linux -> linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r7/
arkane wrote:

ls -al /lib/modules/`uname -a`/build

Doesen't work, I've done: ls -al /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root root 31 Sep 8 12:07 /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/build -> /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r7
arkane wrote:

gcc -v

Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.95.3/specs
gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)
arkane wrote:

emerge -s ^glibc

Searching...
[ Results for search key : ^glibc ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

* sys-libs/glibc
Latest version available: 2.2.5-r5
Latest version installed: 2.2.5-r5
Homepage: http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/libc.html
Description: GNU libc6 (also called glibc2) C library

Thanks arkane, I've already search on wmvare.com but they presume that you have already installed all properly.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright.. you have a decent setup there, nothing out of the ordinary. Although, two things do pop out at me. First, your running an SMP Celeron. Is this a Abit BP6? I figured I'd bring this to your attention before you get to it:
http://www.vmware.com/support/kb/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=FJhe8Log&p_lva=83&p_faqid=127&p_created=1023462971&p_sp=cF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTIxMyZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXdyb25nIHZlcnNpb24gb2Yga2VybmVsIGhlYWRlciZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPTMmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9wcm9kX2x2bDI9fmFueX4mcF9jYXRfbHZsMT1_YW55fiZwX2NhdF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_JnBfc29ydF9ieT1kZmx0JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

It appears that vmware has problems with Abit BP6 SMP boards, assembly revision 1.1 board version 0.41. Just wanted to give you a heads up on that.

The second thing: have you tried using vanilla sources? Everything you have is what i have (minus the SMP, but that shouldn't have anything to do with this) system software wise so far, except for the kernel. I've ran vanilla since the start of 2.4.18 because I had problems with vmware with 2.4.18-gentoo sources.

Other than that, I'm really not sure... one last shot though, swhat does the following command give you:
emerge -s linux-headers
faithfull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkane wrote:
Alright.. you have a decent setup there, nothing out of the ordinary. Although, two things do pop out at me. First, your running an SMP Celeron. Is this a Abit BP6? I figured I'd bring this to your attention before you get to it:
http://www.vmware.com/support/kb/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=FJhe8Log&p_lva=83&p_faqid=127&p_created=1023462971&p_sp=cF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTIxMyZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXdyb25nIHZlcnNpb24gb2Yga2VybmVsIGhlYWRlciZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPTMmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9wcm9kX2x2bDI9fmFueX4mcF9jYXRfbHZsMT1_YW55fiZwX2NhdF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_JnBfc29ydF9ieT1kZmx0JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

It appears that vmware has problems with Abit BP6 SMP boards, assembly revision 1.1 board version 0.41. Just wanted to give you a heads up on that.

The second thing: have you tried using vanilla sources? Everything you have is what i have (minus the SMP, but that shouldn't have anything to do with this) system software wise so far, except for the kernel. I've ran vanilla since the start of 2.4.18 because I had problems with vmware with 2.4.18-gentoo sources.

Other than that, I'm really not sure... one last shot though, swhat does the following command give you:
emerge -s linux-headers

No, I own a ASUS P2B-DS with two soket370-to-slot1 adapters (by Soltek) but this is not a problem because some time ago I've installed VMWare on a RedHat (where the modules are precompiled) and all run perfectly.
Today, I ve read the vmware-config.pl and some ideas come into my mind. I've noticed that the error ("the kernel defined by this directory of header files does not have the same address space size as your running kernel.") is given when when the maximum amount of user space memory is non coherent with your kernel, then I remembered one strange thing during the compilation process: when I executed "make dep" I've read some trange parameters like "3GB_SMP" but I've specified only 1GB of user space memory ... now I try to recompile my kernel with 3GB of user space memory ... and we'll see. :evil:
Oh ... the execution of emerge -s linux-heades is:
* sys-kernel/linux-headers
Latest version available: 2.4.18
Latest version installed: 2.4.18
Homepage: http://www.kernel.org/ http://www.gentoo.org/
Description: Full sources for the Gentoo Linux kernel
That's not coherent with my running kernel but ... Robbins must explain me why these discrepancies.

Last edited by faithfull on Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
faithfull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faithfull wrote:

Today, I ve read the vmware-config.pl and some ideas come into my mind. I've noticed that the error ("the kernel defined by this directory of header files does not have the same address space size as your running kernel.") is given when when the maximum amount of user space memory is non coherent with your kernel, then I remembered one strange thing during the compilation process: when I executed "make dep" I've read some trange parameters like "3GB_SMP" but I've specified only 1GB of user space memory ... now I try to recompile my kernel with 3GB of user space memory ... and we'll see. :evil:

:D Uooaaaaaahh I had reason!!!!!! I've recompiled the kernel with 3GB of user space memory and all the vmware modules was compiled with no problem!
Now ... where is the bug? Kernel or vmware script?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: