7%  [ 5 ]
Best of the rest!
23%
 23%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 63

antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: What future do you predict for Gentoo? Reply with quote

How Gentoo distro looks like and how you use it? Is it stays fully source based?

Last edited by antik on Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What future do you predict for Gentoo? Reply with quote

antik wrote:
How Gentoo distro looks like and how you use it? Is it stays fully source based?

A source code distribution will never be main stream like RedHat, SuSE, mandrake and others.

The knowledge required and the amount of work that needs to be done is too great for Joe User. They need a simple binary install with great package management.

For the rest of us, Gentoo is a great distribution and we will continue to use it for years. (Until something better, more shiny, more flashy, more .. dare I say the word... 1337 comes along!)

Erik
elzbal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it as being a good system replacement for Slackware users and (most of) Debian users. It may be a decent refugee for FreeBSD (or *BSD) users who want more hardware support, such as myself. It will not be a replacement for MS Windows users, and will probably not make much headway into the corporate business environment.
sisyphus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno...

While Gentoo as a distribution might not necessarily achieve world domination, I would argue that Portage as it matures is a natural successor for the position of package management hegenomy (over RPM).

Given that in many ways, RedHat's dominance stems from RPM, it's fair to say IMO that should Portage really take off, then Gentoo can be considered to have won the day.

After all, many of the BSD's share the same fundamental package management system which in turn (I believe) stems from FreeBSD. The master of the package management systems seems as a rule to be master of any given "OS Universe".

:)

Probably just pissed up bollox that (had Christmas lunch at work this afternoon - a few too many Guiness were imbibed) but who knows... I might even still agree with myself in the morning :twisted:).

Voted "The One and Only"
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After all, many of the BSD's share the same fundamental package management system which in turn (I believe) stems from FreeBSD. The master of the package management systems seems as a rule to be master of any given "OS Universe".

Seems like Gentoo is reincarnation of FreeBSD with Linux kernel. I myself like FreeBSD very much, but he refuses to recognize my pcmcia lancard so I cant use it on my laptop :?
sisyphus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an OpenBSD man myself. However, there isn't even a functional Mozilla build (or wasn't last time I looked) for that so it ain't going on my laptop :)
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine buying M$ Office 11 for US$ 800 and having to wait 22 hours for it to compile on your insanely expensive Pentium4 3.06 Ghz (and then give you a BSOD).

On the other hand, I would LOVE to compile M$ Office from source, because it would mean the source is actually available, which would mean Openoffice could have even greater compatibility, and would still be free and less bloated.

'nuff said :)
EatYourGreens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted "one of others", but I would have voted "best of the rest" if that had been an option.

I don't see Gentoo overtaking suse/red hat for the reasons often mentioned in this forum (difficult to set up, not aimed at beginners etc). The first Linux distribution I tried that I was able to use was SuSE 6.x, and I loved the fact that I could get a working Linux install by inserting a CD and answering a few questions. The learning curve to Linux is steep enough as it is, and SuSE gave me a chance to actually USE a Linux system, and learn about it.

However, I became frustrated with SuSE after I had messed up the install a couple of times by trying to install software that I downloaded and failed to compile. If Windows suffers from dll-hell, then Linux can suffer from rpm-hell. That was when I realised I needed something different, and so I tried (and love) Gentoo.

I see Gentoo in competition with Slackware, Debian. Mandrake, LFS etc. I've only ever tried Debian from that list, but it seems to me that Gentoo is the distribution that gives the more demanding users what they want. I expect that SuSE and/or Redhat will remain on top, and I am very happy with that, as I would recomment SuSE over Gentoo for business use. SuSE can be installed extremely easily, and that is great for people who need to use their computers for work, rather that tweak it and learn about Linux :)
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
#emerge application/msoffice

actually i heard something about portage working for the user so eventially
Code:
$emerge application/msoffice

will work

oh wait i get it that was a joke.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking back...
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
onlinepancakes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Source > Binary. Its well worth the wait for things to install. Stable, and just works better than the rest.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: