GCC 2.95 on Gentoo 1.4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: GCC 2.95 on Gentoo 1.4 Reply with quote

(I'm sure this was asked before, but the forum's search function has some problems with searching for numbers :()

Would it cause problems to install GCC 2.95 on Gentoo 1.4 with emerge? I want to use GCC 3.2 as default, but need to compile a tarball which only works with the old GCC.

Which variable(s) do I need to export before starting to compile the tarball so that GCC 2.95 gets used?

Regards,
Peha
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think an "emerge \=gcc-2.95" or similar should do the job. And if portage works correctly, the default gcc should be gcc 3.2 and you will have to call gcc 2 explicit. Perhaps... ;)

Last edited by meyerm on Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyerm wrote:
And if portage works correctly, the default gcc should be gcc 3.2 and you will have to call gcc 2 explicit. Perhaps... ;)

Have you (or anyone else) actually tried this? I see nothing in the gcc 2.95.3-r7 ebuild that suggests that this would work. I think it would be much harder to do than that. The gcc 3.x ebuilds are designed to install alongside 2.95.3, leaving 2.95.3 as the default gcc, but not the other way around.
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Have you (or anyone else) actually tried this?

Nope, of course not. I'm always giving suggestions without testing them... :twisted:

Well, but it would be interessting to solve this miracle. Looking in the ebuild, I would say that there are also other problems (info-pages f.ex.). But none-the-less, it really looks like installing gcc-2 after gcc-3 will make it the default since it just creates new symlinks and copies binaries... Hmmm. But I really don't understand how you can install both of them in parallel... Could rac help us out, please? :)

Sorry peha, but my answer was really a little bit too fast :). I will keep my mouth shut in the future... :oops: (for at least 10 seconds... :roll:)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: