View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ernstp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: cups and usb Reply with quote

Hi! Iv'e install cups and I can only select remote printers in the add printer wizard...

What am I missing? I have installed foomatic, usbutils and hotplug!
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step back from CUPS a minute and see if you have a /dev entry for your printer. My Epson sits at /dev/usb/lp0. You should have something similar.

If you don't have that, your problem is nothing to do with CUPS, and you need to go back and check you have the required kernel modules and that the printer is physically connected properly. A glance through my own kernel .config suggests the following might be relevant: CONFIG_PNP, CONFIG_USB, CONFIG_USB_PRINTER.

Once you have a suitable /dev entry, try something like

# echo "Testing 123" > /dev/usb/lp0

This requires only working comms between your PC and printer to work. No driver is required and CUPS is not involved. You may have to load the paper into the printer manually, depending on the printer. You will almost certainly have to eject it manually if you can't immediately see if it printed anything.

If this works, then it probably is CUPS that is misconfigured. Let us know what you find. I probably can't help with CUPS, but someone else will if you give enough details of the problem.
ernstp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, maybe I wasn't specific enough. In the add printer dialog, I can't choose Local (USB, Serial, Paralell) printer class. I can't choose SMB either but that's not very surprising because that's not installed.
Hotplug loads my printermodule and it puts an entry in /dev/usb/lp0, but I haven't gotten that far in the proccess yet!
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does sending plain text to /dev/usb/lp0 work? Try that first, because if that doesn't work, it might possibly be the reason CUPS isn't allowing you to select a local printer.
Amemes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi just attach your printer and then emerge cups again,if you have done then just reboot (with the printer still attached and on) and now you can choose also usb as uri (normally ;) )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: