Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How do I move /boot & MBR to a different drive?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhiz()m3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:09 am    Post subject: How do I move /boot & MBR to a different drive? Reply with quote

I want to basically transplant my /boot partition and the MBR to another drive. I was thinking I could just make a new partition, copy the files over, modify menu.lst to point to the new partition and use grub's setup (hdx) command to have the boot sector on the new drive. First, would this work and are there any considerations that I have overlooked? Second, is there an easier way to do it?
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I move /boot & MBR to a different drive? Reply with quote

Rhiz()m3 wrote:
I want to basically transplant my /boot partition and the MBR to another drive. I was thinking I could just make a new partition, copy the files over, modify menu.lst to point to the new partition and use grub's setup (hdx) command to have the boot sector on the new drive. First, would this work and are there any considerations that I have overlooked?

Yes, it would work. There aren't really any other things, except that if you're going to be moving around hard drives (swap hda and hdc, for instance) GRUB might become confused, and you'd have to re-install it. Using the Gentoo install CD to do this is probably the best option. It would let you partition, format, copy, and re-run GRUB, without your system partitions being active. (That tends to be a good thing. ;))
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: