Can I stick with gcc 2.95
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caffeine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Can I stick with gcc 2.95 Reply with quote

Hi there,
I've got Gentoo installed at home and love it. I want to install at work, but I need to be compatible with the guys at work, which means I've got to use gcc 2. ( My work place uses Red Hat 7.* )
So my question is, Can I stick with Gentoo/gcc 2.95 indefinitely? Or will Gentoo eventually stop working with gcc2 and be tested/built for gcc 3.2 ?

Cheers.
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since most of the stuff is compiled from source, I would think you could stick with GCC 2. The trick will be when you have to download binaries compiled with GCC 3, they may not work nicely together. This was evidenced when Mozilla compiled with GCC 3 wouldn't work with plugin binaries compiled with GCC 2.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can have both at your systems. Use gcc 3 to compile stuff for your computer, gcc 2 for programs which will run in your Red Hat boxes.
Caffeine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:20 pm    Post subject: Run both? Interesting... Reply with quote

Hadn't considered that I could have both installed.
What's involved in swapping compiler? Just a few environment variables or symlinks? Is it practical on a day to day basis to swap ?

I think I'll try running with gcc 2. If it gets to the point where I can't use programs/pluggins that I need, I'll move to a gcc 3 based system but with gcc 2 emerged for work stuff.

Thanks for the info.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Run both? Interesting... Reply with quote

Caffeine wrote:
What's involved in swapping compiler? Just a few environment variables or symlinks? Is it practical on a day to day basis to swap ?

The gcc3 ebuilds up to now have detected if gcc2 is installed, and if so, postfix their tools with the version number: gcc-3.1, g++-3.1, &c. Since there are different CFLAGS available as well (AltiVec for one), what I do is have two /etc/make.conf's, postfixed with gcc version number, and then I change the symlink in /etc/make.conf to point to one or the other. Inside the gcc3 one, the CC and CXX envariables are set to "gcc-3.1" and "g++-3.1" respectively. Most ebuilds respect this, but there are some I have had to fix.

Quote:
I think I'll try running with gcc 2.

You should be OK doing this. If you can afford the disk space, make binary packages of everything you emerge, so that you can go back to them quickly if something breaks.

I
Quote:
I'll move to a gcc 3 based system but with gcc 2 emerged for work stuff.

This could be a bit more challenging than the other way around, because the ebuild doesn't support it directly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: