lexmark usb printer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingkongrevenge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:42 am    Post subject: lexmark usb printer Reply with quote

I'm trying to get a Lexmark Z25 printer to work. The manufacturer drivers for this come as a *.gz.sh script.
This worked fine in Slackware 8.1.
The script starts a gui installer. To get it to run without an Xlib connect error, first I had to do "xhost +hostname" (that took a while to figure out). Then when I tried to run the script as root, it just quits saying:
"USB kernel support not found."
Usb and usb printer stuff is all compiled into the kernel.
"cat /proc/devices" shows usb listed and dmesg shows usb and printer support loading up fine. I'm using the Gentoo kernel sources. /dev/usb/lp0 exists.
When I got this working with Slackware 8.1 I had the printer and usb support in modules and was using the regular
kernel source. Those differences shouldn't matter, right?

So, I used tail to cut the script stuff off and get the compressed stuff. Uncompressed it's some scripts and documentation and an RPM. I do "rpm -i --nodeps ./lexmark*.rpm".
Everything goes into "/usr/local/lexmark" ok.
But then I have no idea what to do. I'm trying to get it working with pdq. I copied a binary file called "Z35Driver" (or something close) into "/etc/pdq/drivers/" but that didn't do anything.
I don't really know what to do.

All I know is the install script worked with Slackware 8.1, and then lpr just worked.
I'm relatively new to Linux and lost here. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Thomas Rowe
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: