Old PowerMacs and Linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kojiro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Old PowerMacs and Linux Reply with quote

Well, I have a PowerMac 8500/150, and I do ~not~ have mac OS. The free versions of Mac OS are also less than one whole version too old for my system to accept. So I discovered that I can load debian from boot floppies, and successfully install Linux that way. My plan, since I don't like debian, was to install Gentoo from debian.

But it seems that quik, which is the only OldWorld bootloader I can find that supports my hardware *without* MacOS, is broken on Gentoo. So although I've chrooted, compiled and compiled and compiled, I can't reboot into Gentoo until quik gets fixed.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42052

I've reported it as a bug, but since quik is only useful on OW machines (right?), I have little hope of seeing it fixed soon.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Does anyone have any (constructive) advice?
Yes, black magic doesn't use parentheses.
--Linux Users' Group of Rochester mailing list
rasmus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all of us Oldworld-users are out of luck for a while. The problem isn't Gentoo, it's GCC 3.x. Quik doesn't work with GCC 3.x. I think patches are in development, but I haven't tried them. I have a 30 GB disk in my 7600 so creating a small MacOS partition didn't make me cry.
toojays
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, quik is only useful for OldWorld machines.

When I was playing with it ages ago, I got the binary package version from Vladimir's page:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~vladimir/other/

I hope you have better luck with it than I did. On my G3 Wallstreet, I could boot from it, but X would not work unless I booted MacOS first.
n2kra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: no gcc-2 ?!? OpenMCL will need it also Reply with quote

rasmus wrote:
I think all of us Oldworld-users are out of luck for a while. The problem isn't Gentoo, it's GCC 3.x. Quik doesn't work with GCC 3.x. I think patches are in dev...

No gcc-2<.last>?!?, I thought cygwin (GNU for W32) and other distro's had it around.

dev-lisp/

OpenMCL will need it for .h include to FFI convertion.
If I get time I want to try a parallel OS/X and LInux install to see the diffs.

CLisp needed it until pretty recently.
2.30 built, even though all its dependencies are ~ppc, but it could not
find the existing register-CLC script.

Last edited by n2kra on Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
kalisphoenix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, the easiest damn thing you can do is probably just grab OS 8 off eBay. If I had the bandwidth (and no university firewall), I'd probably post my ISOs on an ftp server and let everyone download it. If you get the lowest version that will run on your computer, I don't see how anyone sane could consider it piracy. I mean, come on. When was the last time a Mac came without an OS? It's like an Atari without TOS, or an SGI without IRIX. I think Apple should make OS 8 freeware, perhaps 8.5 too, but then if I ruled Apple, I'd have a lot better equipment.

I know this doesn't help you all that much, but I mean it in good spirits... Quik dev has probably halted for good...

Stupid Apple.
kojiro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rasmus wrote:
I think all of us Oldworld-users are out of luck for a while. The problem isn't Gentoo, it's GCC 3.x. Quik doesn't work with GCC 3.x. I think patches are in development, but I haven't tried them. I have a 30 GB disk in my 7600 so creating a small MacOS partition didn't make me cry.

I might be able to buildpkg it with gcc 2.x.y, then just tell portage to "leave it the [expletive] alone."

I'll do this when I have some spare time. See you in five years. 8)
Yes, black magic doesn't use parentheses.
--Linux Users' Group of Rochester mailing list
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: