View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluesky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: which one? Reply with quote

When I do emerge for xfree and kde, should I do:

# emerge kde-base/kde
# emerge x11-base/xfree

or I should emerge a particular release of the softwares? I don't want to load my system with those I don't use. :o

Note: This question may have been asked and answered, if so, please point me the link. Not sure how to search for it.

"free as the wind"
kirill
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: which one? Reply with quote

bluesky wrote:
When I do emerge for xfree and kde, should I do:

# emerge kde-base/kde
# emerge x11-base/xfree

# emerge kde-base/kde would force you to automatically emerge xfree too, because kde depends on it.

bluesky wrote:

or I should emerge a particular release of the softwares? I don't want to load my system with those I don't use. :o

Note: This question may have been asked and answered, if so, please point me the link. Not sure how to search for it.

Did you read the Desktop and Portage User guides? There is pretty well explained for example what happens if you emerge kde.

Portage User Guide will tell you how USE flags affect emerge.

check also out this thread, there is some discussion about USE flags and how to get rid of "those you don't use"
bluesky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: re: x11-base/xfree Reply with quote

># emerge kde-base/kde would force you to automatically emerge xfree too, because kde depends on it.

Sorry. I meant that there are many releases of xfree, should I just emerge the one I like such as # emerge x11-base/xfree/xfree-4.1.0-r12? or it will make no different if I use x11-base/xfree?

"free as the wind"
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: re: x11-base/xfree Reply with quote

It'll emerge the lastest version not masked (which is 4.1.0-r12 right now)

bluesky wrote:
># emerge kde-base/kde would force you to automatically emerge xfree too, because kde depends on it.

Sorry. I meant that there are many releases of xfree, should I just emerge the one I like such as # emerge x11-base/xfree/xfree-4.1.0-r12? or it will make no different if I use x11-base/xfree?

Edit: it is 4.2.0-r12

Last edited by pilla on Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: re: x11-base/xfree Reply with quote

bluesky wrote:

If you just say "emerge xfree", you will get the newest unmasked version, which is usually what you want. Do you have a specific reason for preferring a particular version of the ebuild?
bluesky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 7:03 pm    Post subject: re: which one Reply with quote

No, rac. Last time in another machine, I did "emerge kde-base/kde", and it seemed I got both kde 3.0 and kde 2.2. I am not sure but it looked like that since the kde logon window showed the options for 3 kdes and one xwindow(twn). :o

"free as the wind"
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: re: which one Reply with quote

Maybe some program depends on KDE 2.2 and that's why you have both instaled.

bluesky wrote:
No, rac. Last time in another machine, I did "emerge kde-base/kde", and it seemed I got both kde 3.0 and kde 2.2. I am not sure but it looked like that since the kde logon window showed the options for 3 kdes and one xwindow(twn). :o
Russki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: re: x11-base/xfree Reply with quote

bluesky wrote:

If you build you system from stage 1 (or 2) tarball, you would have to do the "emerge system". When you do that, xfree emerges too. So when you emerge kde it won't force anything. Building system from stage 3 tarball doesn't include the xfree. So when you emerge kde it will automatically emerge xfree for you too.
Code:
emerge  x11-base/xfree/xfree-4.1.0-r12

won't work.
Code:
emerge  x11-base/xfree/xfree-4.1.0-r12.ebuild
or
Code:
emerge xfree

should do it. (If you want to emerge xfree apart from kde.
bluesky wrote:

Code:
emerge kde

will install the latest unmasked kde. After that when you emerge extra programs some of them may depend on kdebase 2.2 and kdelibs 2.2 (some cd-writing programs for kde do for example). And that's how old versions of kde may get to kdm.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: