View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remembered a guy at work had this problem when he switched to alsa. (music v. IM). I'll check with him and see if he solved it (this was a couple months ago)
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For getting multiple sounds to work with alsa without requiring a separate sound daemon, here are a couple of threads to check out:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=122076
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=134743

Haven't tried any of this myself, though (hasn't been a priority for me). If you're avoiding alsa, esd may be a better thing to try first.
scruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those links ozonator :). I skimmed through them both and it looks hopeful (some good info there). I have friends in from out of town right now but will try to get it working asap. I'll document my steps as I go and post the successful (hope hope) method as soon as I get it going.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ @ oc'd to 2.3ghz
DFI Lanparty UltraD nForce4 SLI
2x1gb Geil PC4000
GeForce 7800GT
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
200gb Maxtor DiamondMax 10
74gb WD Raptor 10k RPM
scruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zojas: Just thought I would let you know, I wound up with the same problem of the notebook not going to sleep as it should. It worked fine before I tried installing alsa-utils and using alsa so that must be the culprit. To hopefully remedy the situation, I am upgrading to 2.6.2_rc1-r1. It's always been my experience that a kernel upgrade overwrote any alsa config since I have always had to reinstall/configure afterwards so... As a bonus I get the newer kernel.

I haven't gotten around to the sound problem yet. I am studying for the LPIC right now (and trying to learn Python) so I have been trying to focus and not let other things distract me. The sound thing would likely be good for at least 12 hrs of distraction ;)

Maybe this weekend I'll mess with it.

2x1gb Geil PC4000
GeForce 7800GT
74gb WD Raptor 10k RPM
oniq
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running 2.6.3-benh2 on my iBook 600mhz. Everything works that I've tested thus far -- Airport, sound, sleep/resume, special function keys with pbbuttonsd. I'm curious, though, how big did your vmlinux end up? Mines 4.5mb. Isn't that a bit large? Gonna look into what I can toss out of there.

As for sound,

Code:

Module                  Size  Used by
snd                    62808  0
dmasound_pmac          95236  1
dmasound_core          22448  2 dmasound_pmac
soundcore              11940  3 snd,dmasound_core

Compiled in ALSA and I believe thats soundcore.
micron
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using 2.6.3_rc2-benh1 on a ibook G4 with pbbuttonsd 0.5.7.
Everything is working fine execept for the suspend function... :(
How can I set and test it :?:
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

micron wrote:
I'm using 2.6.3_rc2-benh1 on a ibook G4 with pbbuttonsd 0.5.7.
Everything is working fine execept for the suspend function... :(
How can I set and test it :?:

On my iBook (G3, 2.6.2 currently), I've had no problem putting the machine to sleep by either closing the lid, or by pressing the power button. Also, pbbuttonsd puts the machine to sleep after whatever idle time I've specified in its conf. Have you tried any of that? If so, and it still doesn't work, what happens when you try? Are you getting any errors?
micron
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozonator wrote:
On my iBook (G3, 2.6.2 currently), I've had no problem putting the machine to sleep by either closing the lid, or by pressing the power button. Also, pbbuttonsd puts the machine to sleep after whatever idle time I've specified in its conf. Have you tried any of that? If so, and it still doesn't work, what happens when you try? Are you getting any errors?

Sleep is working, I'm trying to get suspend...
I would like to close the lid and see my ibook going to suspend like under mac osx, I've read in the forum that it works...
I'm wrong :?:
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

micron wrote:
Sleep is working, I'm trying to get suspend...
I would like to close the lid and see my ibook going to suspend like under mac osx, I've read in the forum that it works...
I'm wrong :?:

Hmmm. Closing the lid worked for me (i.e., it put my iBook to sleep), at least last time I checked (I usually use the power button, by force of habit). Does it just not work for you (i.e., the machine keeps running), or do you get some sort of error when you try?

Incidentally, I'm not sure there's a difference between sleep and suspend in OS X, where putting the machine to sleep (with the lid, the power button, or a menu choice) means that the screen is off and the disk stops spinning, but the contents of RAM are preserved; the light at the front pulsates nicely, too! Do you mean suspend-to-disk, where the contents of RAM are saved to disk? Does OS X even do that?
micron
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozonator wrote:
Incidentally, I'm not sure there's a difference between sleep and suspend in OS X, where putting the machine to sleep (with the lid, the power button, or a menu choice) means that the screen is off and the disk stops spinning, but the contents of RAM are preserved; the light at the front pulsates nicely, too! Do you mean suspend-to-disk, where the contents of RAM are saved to disk? Does OS X even do that?

I think I'm confusing sleep with suspend... From your description the thing I'm searching is sleep (not suspend)

ozonator wrote:
Hmmm. Closing the lid worked for me (i.e., it put my iBook to sleep), at least last time I checked (I usually use the power button, by force of habit). Does it just not work for you (i.e., the machine keeps running), or do you get some sort of error when you try?

It works, but it seems worse than under mac osx.
Under mac osx while the ibook is sleeping I canno't hear anything, and all the fans stop working. Instead under linux I still hear noatun playing, xchat beeping,... and the cpu fan works as usual (it stops only when the cpu reaches some temperature)...
Is this normal?
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

micron wrote:
It works, but it seems worse than under mac osx.
Under mac osx while the ibook is sleeping I canno't hear anything, and all the fans stop working. Instead under linux I still hear noatun playing, xchat beeping,... and the cpu fan works as usual (it stops only when the cpu reaches some temperature)...
Is this normal?

No, that's not normal. When I put mine to sleep, the thing is completely silent; no fan, disk, or sound. And, the light at the front pulsates, as it does with OS X. The main difference with OS X is that sleep/wake takes longer with Linux; it's quicker with 2.6.x, but it still takes a few seconds, whereas OS X has nearly instant sleep/wake.

So, it sounds like your machine just isn't going to sleep when you close the lid. One thought: check your pbbuttonsd.conf, and make sure that both onAC_coversleep and onBattery_coversleep are set to yes; that should be the default, but if set to no, one of those might be stopping the machine from going to sleep.

Otherwise, I'm not sure; my iBook is a g3, not a g4, so I haven't tested sleep on your exact hardware; anyone else know if it's supposed to work on the iBook g4?
scruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well everything worked properly on mine until I started messing with alsa. I got sleep working again though. Compiling/installing the newer kernel didn't do it by itself (now using 2.6.2_rc1-benh1). I unmerged pbbuttonsd, emerged it again, did 'etc-update', then 'rc-update add pbbuttonsd default', then ran pbbuttonsd and it works when closing the lid again.

As far as speed, it seems to take around 2 seconds to wake back up so I can't complain about that. I don't really know how long it takes in OS X as i never use it :).

2x1gb Geil PC4000
GeForce 7800GT
74gb WD Raptor 10k RPM
micron
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozonator wrote:
So, it sounds like your machine just isn't going to sleep when you close the lid. One thought: check your pbbuttonsd.conf, and make sure that both onAC_coversleep and onBattery_coversleep are set to yes; that should be the default, but if set to no, one of those might be stopping the machine from going to sleep.

I've controlled my /etc/pbbuttonsd.conf
Code:
onAC_coversleep     = yes
onBattery_coversleep= yes

All seems right... :?

scruff wrote:
Well everything worked properly on mine until I started messing with alsa. I got sleep working again though. Compiling/installing the newer kernel didn't do it by itself (now using 2.6.2_rc1-benh1). I unmerged pbbuttonsd, emerged it again, did 'etc-update', then 'rc-update add pbbuttonsd default', then ran pbbuttonsd and it works when closing the lid again.

I've compiled alsa statically into the kernel and I put alsasound into the boot level.
I re-emerged pbbuttons but nothing changed...
I also tried the sleep function under init3, without window manager & alsa running. I seemed to work (the apple in the back of the cover was off) but I thought to make a check.. maybe only the display is off
So I wrote this silly script:
Code:
#! /bin/bash
while (true); do
        date >> foo
        sleep 5s
done

I ran it on the background and closed the cover... as result the apple on the back didn't turn off 8O
If I push the power putton only the screen goes blank, becase in the foo file I can read all regoular time logs...

What can I do? Nobody have a ibook G4 with sleep working?
joaopft
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a powermac g4 agp graphics. For kernel, I use ppc-development-sources-2.6.2-r1, and sound is working through alsa. The alsa configuration is somewhat unusual for a mac, so this n00b experience might be relevant for you guys. I have an old 4.1 SBLive! PCI sound board, so I have compiled alsa with the drivers for both emu10k1 (the processor in SBLive!) and powermac sound.

With regard to the powermac module, I can't get it to work. This is not a problem for me, since emu10k1 sound support is much better. But this indicates that maybe the problem with ppc alsa lies with the powermac module (or the i2c keywest...), and not the core alsa drivers themselves.

As for instalation, I have configured the kernel for using alsa and oss support. I have also installed the more recent alsa-lib, alsa-utils, alsa-oss, alsa-tools (version 1.0.2). It all works fine with emu10k1. I have arts working, and xmms can play mp3s and also cds (with the cd-read plugin, and no SCSI emulation). I can also use the mixer to put 3D effects in. I have not tried the midi and sinth. functions.

Here is my /etc/modules.d/alsa:

Code:

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore

##  ALSA portion
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias snd-card-1 snd-powermac
##  OSS/Free portion
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
##

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

options snd_cards_limit=2

ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update to a couple of earlier posts of mine here, since I'm finally getting the chance to test ALSA with a newer releases of the kernel and ALSA. ALSA sound is now working beautifully on my iBook (rev. 2.2, G3 800 Mhz), with sound quality that's at least as good as that from dmasound_pmac (i.e., without any of the poor quality I reported earlier). I'm using a 2.6.4 kernel from development-sources, with the snd-powermac modules; alsa-lib and alsa-utils are both at version 1.0.4. Config is essentially the same as that posted by joaopft above, though with only one sound card (no emu10k1, not applicable for my iBook), and I use the /etc/init.d/alsasound script to load/unload modules.

The only quirk I've noticed is that when plugging in headphones, the sound level in the headphones is somewhat muted; adjusting the volume or muting/umuting sound (using the keyboard controls via pbbuttonsd) fixes things. This only happens when going from the built-in speakers to headphones, not vice versa: going from headphones to speakers is fine. It's also a very minor inconvenience, so it's not a bother. (I'm not using any of Gnome, KDE, esd, etc., so it's not a case of multiple sound daemons trying to adjust settings; only pbbuttonsd handles my volume settings, and I use alsamixer for the other sound settings.)

Incidentally, that kernel from development-sources-2.6.4 is working nicely all around on this iBook. All devices except hcfusbmodem (for which a 2.6 driver still isn't available, AFAIK) are working well -- including USB (with usb-storage and a bluetooth dongle), video, and net (sungem and airport with the orinoco monitor patch). I'm also using dm-crypt for encrypting a few partitions (/home, /tmp, and swap); that's working perfectly. And, no problems with sleep. Except that I might not be getting enough myself. :)

Update, one day later:

I spoke too soon. ALSA was working fine over several sleep-wake cycles, but I've found that after rebooting this morning, I've got the "extremely low volume" problem again, i.e., I can hear something with ALSA, but it's barely audible. I recall having this problem once or twice when I tried ALSA with 2.4, and that the workaround was to load and unload the dmasound_pmac module before starting ALSA -- but right now, that's not striking me as an elegant solution. It's also striking me that ALSA doesn't provide any feature or advantage to me that dmasound_pmac doesn't (I just need basic sound playback), so in the short term at least, it's back to using dmasound_pmac for sound; it works, it's reliable, and it doesn't require any workarounds.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: