Firewalling Help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dystopic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: Firewalling Help Reply with quote

I've been running gentoo for a little over a month now and feel that I'm finally ready to make the transition completely to linux. 8O The only obstacle in my way is setting up a decent software firewall on my box. When I was learning I used a SMC router for a firewall but I need to do things like play rtcw and use irc effectively so I've gotta go software. I've installed iptables and read countless posts/docs on it but am still a bit confused. I'm looking for a tool that can configure it for me in a more understandable fashion than just hacking the text. I'd like to get the same level of security as say zonealarm (yeah I know its a poor analogy since linux is infinitely more secure) for windoze, something that stealth's ports etc. So is there any efficient, perhaps gui based method to setting up a decent firewall? I looked through the portage ebuild descriptions but haven't found anything yet. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still have to know some general information about firewalls, but look at fwbuilder. It's in the Portage tree, too.
kashani
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: RE: Firewalling help Reply with quote

I've been using firestarter under Mandrake 8.2 for a month or so now. If you don't mind installing various gnome binaries it works great. The startup menus do a decent job of walking you through setup. I prefer to edit the scripts it creates via vi after it's been setup, but YMMV.

emerge -p firestarter

kashani
kraaij
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 8:44 am    Post subject: try this thread Reply with quote

Hi,

maybe you can also find something interesting in this thread

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=13339&highlight=

Good luck,
Anton
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: