Trouble installing/booting on Alpha XL266
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr.ted
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Trouble installing/booting on Alpha XL266 Reply with quote

I've been trying to get Gentoo to boot on my Alpha XL266. I've had other Linuxes on it (Red Hat and TurboLinux), so I know the machine works, but I'm having trouble this time around for some reason.

I'm getting the following error upon entering the prescribed boot command into MILO:
Code:

VFS: Disk change detected on device 11/0
Max Size: 19008          Log zone size: 2048
First data zone: 28      Root inode number: 57344
Failed to load kernel

The boot command I've been entering is...
Code:

boot cd0:boot/vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc

I've tried variations on that, such as sr0 instead of cd0, /dev/ram instead of /dev/ram0 and leaving off the init and initrd commands. Everything gives me the same error output.

I've been searching high and low on the internet for the answer. I've found people who had the same problem, then seemed to have the answer emailed to them privately. I'm sure it's something simple.

The MILO I have is built against 2.2.19, and the only thing I can think of so far, is that I need a MILO built against a 2.4.x kernel, which I haven't been able to find.
Okay, I found them once, and haven't been able to find them again, as I forgot how I found them, and I was stupid and didn't download it, as I couldn't put them on floppy because my main machine is a G5, without a floppy drive - which is how I've been loading new MILO's onto my Alpha. No excuse, I know.

I appreciate any and all help with this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: