GRUB freezes before displaying a menu.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cluster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 1:21 am    Post subject: GRUB freezes before displaying a menu. Reply with quote

This is my first attempt to install Gentoo. I have a very new machine, AMD 1700+ XP with 512 MB of RAM and two hard drives. My second hard drive has all my backups and primary hard drive is supposed to have GRUB.
I used the x86 CD-ROM to set up three standard partitions (hda1=/boot, hda2=/, hda3=swap)... the installer sized them all for me and I just had to format them appropriately. Gentoo installed perfectly (everything was compiling MUCH faster than usual... nice) -- there were no errors and I was following printed installation instructions exactly, including installation and initialization of GRUB.
After rebooting, I found that it said "Wait, initializing GRUB" (or something to that effect) as the second line on the screen, and that was it. I thought I didn't set up the list correctly, so I reinserted Gentoo's installation CD, mounted my partitions, and rechecked it. Apparently either I didn't mount hda1 the first time or something, but my hda2 partition had /boot, where GRUB and the kernel were.
Here's what I did: I moved the kernel and the entire grub/ directory from hda2's /boot directory straight into hda1. Then I modified the menu list appropriately and reran GRUB, reinitializing it. It said that it was able to find everything and wrote itself to the first 16 sectors of the hard drive.
Rebooting causes the same situation: GRUB hangs before displaying the menu.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, all.
kybber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post the contents of grub's menu.lst?
I don't think the grub directory should be anywhere but /boot/grub (dunno for sure), so I'd recommend not copying it over to another partition. This may cause problems if you change one menu.lst while grub is actually reading the other.
You did remember to substitute (hd0,0) for hda1, (hd0,1) for hda2 etc. when configuring grub?
koral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:34 am    Post subject: GRUB freezes before displaying a menu Reply with quote

does it completely freezes or it gaves you a sort of prompt? in that case can type the command "configfile /(path)/grub/grub.conf" to load the graphical menu.
i found that when grub switch to stage 2 it looks for the default file "/boot/grub/menu.lst".
but if the system completely freezes i've no other idea than try to play whith "grub-install"
Cluster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not at home, so I am not able to provide the contents of the grub list file, but it's exactly as the installation instructions have it, except that I commented out the splashscreen line and don't have any dualboot-enabling lines.

GRUB definitely freezes -- there is no prompt, and pressing keys does nothing.

Regarding placing the files in /boot: I thought that /boot is where the boot partition is mounted... /dev/hda1 is mounted into /boot, so /dev/hda1 in fact only has /grub/<whatever>. This is what I did right now. Should I create a /boot directory on /dev/hda1? If I do that, then am I wrong to say that I'll have /boot/boot/grub, since /dev/hda1 will be mapped to /boot ? (I hope that didn't sound too confusing.)
kybber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cluster wrote:
Regarding placing the files in /boot: I thought that /boot is where the boot partition is mounted... /dev/hda1 is mounted into /boot, so /dev/hda1 in fact only has /grub/<whatever>. This is what I did right now. Should I create a /boot directory on /dev/hda1? If I do that, then am I wrong to say that I'll have /boot/boot/grub, since /dev/hda1 will be mapped to /boot ? (I hope that didn't sound too confusing.)

It sounds ok the way you have it (/dev/hda1 being mounted to /boot, so hda1 contains just /grub). Just make sure you actually do the mounting manutally before editing files in /boot. Otherwise you won't change anything.

Try scratching the entire grub-install, mount /dev/hda1 on /boot and do the grub-install thing again.

Are you using any kind of SCSI-controller, RAID-configuration or anything else that might be incompatible with grub?
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it really "freeze" or have you left it still for a while?

I know my grub installation right now seems to freeze for 30 seconds or so saying "grub loading stage1.5..." then goes down to "loading grub" for another 30 seconds or so. I admit it shouldn't do that, but at least I'd know you have the same problem I do.
Cluster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkane, it definitely freezes. I let it sit for about half an hour at the same screen.

kybber, no, there is nothing exotic about my setup: just two separate IDE hard drives.
Following your advice, I mounted hda1, deleted grub/, and ran the "grub" to reinitialize it.

Here's my session:

Quote:
# grub
grub> root (hd0,0)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83

grub> setup (hd0)
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... no

Error 15: File not found.

grub>

Nowhere in the installation instructions does it mention having to manually create a grub/ directory in /boot, so I figure what I am doing is not normal. Also, to do all this, I booted from the Gentoo 1.2 installation CD, so I had to create /boot myself. Perhaps my problem stems from the fact that I am not using the Linux on my hard drive, but using it from the CD? Do I need to somehow enter another shell, as I had to during installation?

Thanks for your help so far.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no.. the grub directory is dumped from the stage1 file. It needs to be there in order for grub to operate because it has the stage files needed to boot.

If you have deleted it, I would definately redump the stage1 bz2 tarball because you need that. I'm not sure if emerging grub would create it or not, but that's worth a shot.

as far as fixing your problem, I'm definately not sure.
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check out the GRUB FAQ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same problem it's about 40 seconds until grub load.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've checked it for my problem, no dice. Don't know, might help this guy out though.

As far as guest, have you tried working it through as I have?
frustrating.
Here is the thread dedicated to the freezing for 30-40 seconds problem:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=5262
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick and probably foolish question--but, during install, did you make a boot partition as suggested in the install guide, and then, this last time when you tried to reinstall grub, forget to mount that boot partition first?

Scott
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me, no... mines always mounted.
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkane wrote:
for me, no... mines always mounted.

Isn't that bad?
kybber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kybber wrote:

Try scratching the entire grub-install, mount /dev/hda1 on /boot and do the grub-install thing again.

Cluster wrote:
Following your advice, I mounted hda1, deleted grub/, and ran the "grub" to reinitialize it.

Ooopppssss, sorry about that. I definitely didn't want you to delete the grub directory (more like killing menu.lst and removing grub from the bootblock), but I understand it could be read that way. Sorry again... :oops:

I'm afraid I don't have any more advice other than to repeat what Zu' suggested: Check the grub faq. Maybe there's something in there that can help you.
Cluster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GRUB FAQ was not particularly helpful for my situation, so I tried to install Gentoo again, this time with more success. I think my problem was the fact that I did not mount partitions correctly, and so did not save the menu.lst file to the proper location.

Now GRUB works, but I am having another sort of problem, explained in detail here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=13941.

Thanks to all who replied to this thread.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: