kde 3.2 disappointing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: kde 3.2 disappointing Reply with quote

Maybe I'm the only one, but does anyone else find KDE 3.2 disappointing? I was looking forward to it and think it has some nice features, but it's not very stable at all. And what's with not having Plastik as a wizard option on first install? It is vastly superior to keramik and the main reason I was playing with it.

I have to say I'm running Gnome 2.5.x-bmg cvs current full time and it has fewer bugs that I can find than KDE 3.2. The funiest, though, is that if you press a letter (definitely f, q and r) in nautilus it crashes. No big deal because it restarts, but I had the kicker crash in KDE and not be able to come back up.

And why can't I have two of the 'main' panels on xinerama? In Gnome it works great. I personally feel that KDE is integrated much better than Gnome, however it's not really useful when it's buggier than the gnome dev series.

And I can't get Konqueror to go to web pages. It talks about not being able to load the kio_http slave file. I know it's there, but obviously it doesn't.

If KDE fixed these things and a few others and added that dual panel feature, I would be very torn between the two, but 3.2 definitely isn't doing it for me.

What are your thoughts?
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply don't have the problems you are reporting. For me kde-3.2 works just fine, so I doubt, that it is a general kde problem. Something is wrong with your installation.
tristure
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used it much so far, I emerged it two days ago. But I find it very good. I encountered no bug, no crash... And Konq accesses Internet pages without any problems.

I think there must be something wrong in your installation or configuration. It has been mentioned many times in the installation threads, but have you tried deleting former .kde configuration folder before loading 3.2? It seems that parameters from older versions sometimes cause bugs in 3.2.

I agree with you on the Plastik point!! There aren't many styles available in the default KDE installation, and most of'em are damn ugly! Actually the only one that's really worth a look is Plastik, so it's silly not to include in the beginning choice.. Even if you can choose it later in the control center.

Kde-look is a great place to find eye-candy for KDE, and it's easy to install what's there, but I think the KDE team should pick some stuff there and change their default installation, replace old ugly themes and icons sets by newer, better looking ones...

I don't use xinerama so i can't help you on that point.

Hope your problems get solved soon, I really find the 3.2 release as a good step forward for KDE.
anil_et
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Disagree!!! Reply with quote

I have to totally disagree with you. I am running kdecvs exclusively for more than 5 months now on my desktop and is using it for my daily work and surfing without any problems. I used to update my kde install every Saturday night.
During these 5 months I have used Konq for web browsing and have opened the other browser (Firebird) only for 4~5 times.That is due to the inability of konq to save the webpage along with the graphics.
May be you have to check your installation or you may have some hardware failures
:!:
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already have plenty of 3.2 threads, please go to one of those:
The KDE 3.2 Thread (in Desktop Environments)
KDE 3.2 - is KDE heading towards dependency hell? (in Off the Wall)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: