GnuCash: Missing requirement for Perl modules finance::quote
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:40 pm    Post subject: GnuCash: Missing requirement for Perl modules finance::quote Reply with quote

I installed GnuCash and was pretty happy with it once I figured out the Double-Entry way of doing bookkeeping (different than Quicken).

Then was about to dump the program when could not get the stock portion to get Quotes from the net.

When you go to the Price Editor and try to update it tells you that you need to run: "update-finance-quote" to install the perl modules.

After doing so you still cannot get it to work. Start GnuCash and it will still say that you are missing those modules still.

The answer is to also: emerge libwww-perl
After that it will work. Note: Stock abbrev's must be in Capitals to work also.

I am not sure if this is a problem with GnuCash; "update-finance-quotes"
not checking that it has the libwww-perl installed, the Build for GnuCash not including it as requirement,.... I just know that libwww-perl needs to be included somehow or GnuCash is limited as a replacement for Quicken for the people that don't figure this out. I spent a hour or so on this.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider filing a bug report.
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, but as to what? I was hoping someone might have a little more insight into it.
Bug in Gnucash? Protage? Emerge? Not sure. The depencency should be included somewhere, but not sure who's problem it is at this moment. Any insights?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decibels wrote:
The depencency should be included somewhere, but not sure who's problem it is at this moment.

Just going from your description, I would say that update-finance-modules should indeed check whether it has LWP installed, so it could be considered an upstream bug. However, the ebuild maintainer can work around this by adding a dependency on it in the ebuild. I would just file a bug report, describing your problem as clearly as you did here, and let the ebuild maintainer or one of the other devs figure out what is the easiest way to fix it.
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done. Thanks for the input!

This thread will help others than until it is fixed.
mcbane
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried emerging libwww-perl and then I ran update-finance-quotes again, but I'm still unable to update the stock prices automatically. I made sure that the symbols are in UPPERCASE as well.

When I run the 'get quotes' without any stocks selected for 'get online quotes' nothnig happens. However, as soon as I select a stock and try to 'get quotes' it tells me to run update-finance-quotes.

Other stuff I've tried so far is to remerge perl and then ran the libperl_rebuilder located in the /usr/portage/sys-devel/perl/files directory.

Any other suggestions?
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, something is broken. I can go to it in GnuCash and it will try to retrieve the Quotes and fail. Spitting out a list, all in caps, saying unable to retrieve quotes. And darn, I just remerged Perl hoping it would fix it.

I wrote a bug here:https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14365
First it started out with having to remerge GnuCash to relink with libgal, but that never fixed the problem with F&Q.

They said it wasn't their problem. Don't see why, other stuff besides GnuCash and F&Q (meaning they stayed the same ebuild) have been updated and it just broke. So I don't know either, but it sucks.

Maybe write your own bug report, they closed mine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: