emerging sources on hard disk while not connected to the net
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Berkz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:38 pm    Post subject: emerging sources on hard disk while not connected to the net Reply with quote

Hi I'm a 56k'er and i've managed to install Gentoo with the cd (I used level 3) My situation is this. i have double boot.. WinXp and Gentoo. With Gentoo i checked what packages I needed to install Wvdial and gentoo mentioned 3 packages...

ppp
wvdial
wvstreams

With Winxp I downloaded all the sources from their respective ftp sites. (And i checked the versions...) I place them in (gentoo) /usr/portage/dist-files/ (I think i remember it correctly)

and then i tried emerge wvdial but gentoo still tried to find it on the internet? Can somebody help me out here?

Best Regards, Berkz
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check 'man emerge' for more info. If I understand it correctly, 'emerge aalib-1.4rc4.tar.gz' should work. Try out that, or something similar. I've not actually tried it yet.
Vanquirius
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm...

did you place it in /usr/portage/distfiles or ../dist-files? the extra dash could make a difference... Also the sources you are using are the same portage is attempting to download? Usually portage downloads *.tbz2 sources as opposed to *.tar.gz ... Or maybe u just have to rename the files so that they look like what they should???

GLuck
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: emerging sources on hard disk while not connected to the Reply with quote

Berkz wrote:
With Winxp I downloaded all the sources from their respective ftp sites. (And i checked the versions)

Don't download them from the original FTP sites. Use a Gentoo mirror (list on www.gentoo.org) Gentoo packages are hashed with the md5 algorithm to ensure package integrity. Portage then checks the hash during install and, if it doesn't match (or isn't there) it fails. That's probably why your installation isn't working.

--kurt

[EDIT] fixed typo.

Last edited by klieber on Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManuChao wrote:
did you place it in /usr/portage/distfiles
Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: emerging sources on hard disk while not connected to the Reply with quote

[quote="klieber"]
Don't download them from the original FTP sites. Use a Gentoo mirror (list on www.gentoo.org) Gentoo packages are hashed with the md5 algorithm to ensure package integrity. Portage then checks the hash during install and, if it doesn't match (or isn't there) it fails. That's probably why your installation isn't working.[/qoute]

Your probably right,
I'll try it when i get home... Thanx :)
Berkz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: I't Worked Reply with quote

Hi i just wanted to tell you that the situation is better now. The thing i did wrong was that i got the sources from their respective ftp sites but not from the mirrors from gentoo, as soon as i did that everything was wholla

Thanx

Regards, Berkz
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: