Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
fdisk works fine but I am not able to format any partition
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ejoni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:49 pm    Post subject: fdisk works fine but I am not able to format any partition Reply with quote

Hi, just tried yesterday to install Gentoo on my System. I created 3 partitons with fdisk and everything worked just fine. The only stupid thing was that the partions are all have the name /dev/hadp1, /dev/hdap2 and so on. The Problem now is, in my /dev dir is only /dev/hda so therefore i am not able to format any of these partitions. Is for sure a stupid questuion but so far i was not able to find out where my Problem is. Would be great if someone can give me a hind.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maybe something has been confused somewhere, or something important was left out-- or maybe both have happened.

First of all where did you get the name hdap1 hdap2 etc?

Second did you remember to write your changes to disk before exiting fdisk? (I think the command is 'w' but I am unable to check right now.)

Once you have written the changes to the disk and exited I think you should then be able to see the partitions in your /dev. The partitions should be named /dev/hda1 /dev/hda2 etc. Once you have done all that you just need to choose your file system of choice and initialize the partition with the said filesystem.

Hope that helps!!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
0ver.bi+e
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:?:

Question on top of question...

What do you mean by format? I was under the impression that, in order to partition, you had to format, and that, using fdisk, fdisk took care of formatting for you. (format example: a Windows partition is formatted as FAT16, FAT32, NTSF, etc. formatting simply establishes the type of filesystem of the partition.)
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did fdisk tell you that you may need to reboot in order for the partition table changes to take effect? Did these same problems persist across a reboot? Can you use
Code:
# fdisk -l /dev/hda
to tell whether or not the changes you made actually were committed?
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0ver.bi+e wrote:
:?:

Question on top of question...

What do you mean by format? I was under the impression that, in order to partition, you had to format, and that, using fdisk, fdisk took care of formatting for you. (format example: a Windows partition is formatted as FAT16, FAT32, NTSF, etc. formatting simply establishes the type of filesystem of the partition.)

Just like in an old Win9x setup you needed to create a partition table first with fdisk, then you had to put a file system onto those partitions. The same holds true with linux, fdisk does not format the partition--it simply writes the partition table to the hard disk. After the partition table is written you still need to declare/format/initialize your partition with a filesystem (XFS, JFS, ReiserFS, etc) and do so with a 'mkfs' type command.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
hwbj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: fdisk works fine but I am not able to format any partiti Reply with quote

Ejoni wrote:
Hi, just tried yesterday to install Gentoo on my System. I created 3 partitons with fdisk and everything worked just fine. The only stupid thing was that the partions are all have the name /dev/hadp1, /dev/hdap2 and so on. The Problem now is, in my /dev dir is only /dev/hda so therefore i am not able to format any of these partitions. Is for sure a stupid questuion but so far i was not able to find out where my Problem is. Would be great if someone can give me a hind.

it does sound like you missed a step

assuming you want to partition your first drive

fdisk /dev/hda will open fdisk on /dev/hda

you can press m to get the help screen

you may have to delete some partitions you have already created and didn't/don't want

so press p to print the current partition table to the screen

it should list what is there, if you need to delete a partition
press d it will then ask you which partition you want to delete
it will ask "which partition [1-4]" that's just the number of possible primary partitions, /dev/hda1 would be your first partition, /dev/hda2 would be your second. /dev/hda3 your third. etc...

you can delete them all if you'd like, one at a time

to create a new partiton press n it will then ask you something about extended or primary ( doing this from memory so I'm not sure exactly how it asks

press p to select a primary partition

it will then ask what size...I hope you had already decided what size and which order you wanted your partitions.

I have my swap first ( since it's used by another distro on another disk)...so say you wanted a 128 meg swap space type +128M
it will then ask you where you want it to start the partiton I usually accept the default since its the first space availabe...press enter and you have one partiton of 128 megs

press p to print the table to verify it

the press n again for a second partition

press p for primary

let's say this is for your /boot partition so we'll keep it smallish

lets say +75M and if you want to start iright next to your first partition then accept the defaults

press p to print the table and verify

the rest of your HD can be used for / or whatever part of it you would like

press n again....p for primary and if you want to fill up the remaiming part of the HD just accept the default

press p one last time to verify that you have 3 partitions

then you must press w which will write (create) the partition table
and exit fdisk

To put a filesystem on your partitions you then use

mkswap /dev/hda1 assuming your first partition is your swap

and either mke2fs /dev/hda2 to make an ext2 filesystem on what you want to be your /boot partiton or mke2fs -j /dev/hda2 for an ext3 filesystem

there are instructions in the install guide to get you thru this part

make sure to create a filesystem for all your partitons and to mount your swap, /boot/ and / partitons as described in the Install guide

...as I said this is from memory but it should be enough of a guide
to get you thru fdisk, just press m for the help menu if you forget something
0ver.bi+e
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bonez,

I stand corrected. :)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we lost Ejoni on this one... no response since the original post.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really sucks because hwbj did a great job explaining things. Hopefully, someone will find this in a search sometime.
theplatypus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That really sucks because hwbj did a great job explaining things. Hopefully, someone will find this in a search sometime.

His response helped me. It answered my questions perfectly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: