Quick Search: in
starting kde as a user
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
formerlykikinovak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: starting kde as a user Reply with quote

Hi,

After having set up a base system, x server and kde (which went more or less flawless), I leafed through the forum until I grasped the way gentoo adds users.

One general remark. As I browsed through the forum with search, I discovered that there are at least two sorts of helpful people:

1) Those that answer the question "how do I add a user with gentoo" by a litany of techno-laconism spiced with code that looks like what my HP Deskjet produces when I disconnect it in the middle of a print job.

2) Those that suggest something like
Code:
# emerge superadduser

Run it.

</rant>

My simple question for today: I just added the user kikinovak to my system (with superadduser). I want to get rid of kdm, just go back to the old way things worked, i. e.:

login: kikinovak
Password: *******
ninthcircle kikinovak $ startx

--> and here KDE starts up.

Put it another way:

1) how can I get rid of kdm, which can only be run by root and seems to ignore the user?

2) how can I start kde by just typing startx as user? I vaguely remember I have to create a file called .xinitrc in my user home directory and put something *like* startkde and some options in it...

thanks,

Niki
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the .xinitrc in your home dir file looks like this:

exec startkde

it should launch kde when issueing the startx command
you could also edit the general xinitrc file which i believe is in /etc/X11/xinit
It is however WAY preferable to do it in the user home dir with .xinitrc
kirill
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: starting kde as a user Reply with quote

formerlykikinovak wrote:

1) how can I get rid of kdm, which can only be run by root and seems to ignore the user?

Code:

/etc/init.d/xdm stop
rc-update del xdm

formerlykikinovak wrote:

2) how can I start kde by just typing startx as user?

Look in /etc/X11/Sessions/
there should be a kde-x.x.x -file there (might be kde-3.0.3 if you just emerged kde recently).
edit /etc/rc.conf and change the line #XSESSION=Gnome to XSESSION=kde-x.x.x

now startx
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: starting kde as a user Reply with quote

Just curious, do you think either/both these classes of help are deficient in some regard? If so, what would you think would be useful?
formerlykikinovak wrote:
One general remark. As I browsed through the forum with search, I discovered that there are at least two sorts of helpful people:

1) Those that answer the question "how do I add a user with gentoo" by a litany of techno-laconism spiced with code that looks like what my HP Deskjet produces when I disconnect it in the middle of a print job.

2) Those that suggest something like
Code:
# emerge superadduser

Run it.

</rant>

Niki
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving from Installation to Desktop.
dcstimm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is mine works fine

more .xinitrc

PATH="$PATH:/usr/bin"

startkde

you dont need exec
kikinovak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: starting kde as a user Reply with quote

Naan Yaar wrote:
Just curious, do you think either/both these classes of help are deficient in some regard? If so, what would you think would be useful?

I'll answer this with an example. Years ago I had some strange trouble with my old motorbike. The engine would regurlarly die after a few kilometers. No way to find out where the problem lay. The guy at the Honda repair service tried about everything. Change the carburetors, change the air filter, which cost a lot of money (and time).

My 16-year old neighbour finally found out, because a friend of his had had a similar problem on his Vespa. There's a hairpin hole in the tank cap to let some air flow, so that the fuel can flow into the engine. This little hairpin hole was obstructed, and therefore the fuel could only flow for a few minutes, then it was stopped by the produced vacuum.

The suggested solution cost no more than a steel guitar string and took two minutes.

Maybe I can also answer your question with a french saying: l'enfer est pavé de bonnes intentions. Good intentions are hell's pavings.

cheers,

Niki
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: starting kde as a user Reply with quote

Interesting anecdote. Thanks.

In the useradd example, both suggestions are reasonable. The first is more "portable" and has the advantage of being available on most, if not all, linux systems by default. The latter is more user friendly. Dismissing one of them as being "techno-laconic" doesn't seem very fair to the person who takes the time and effort to post a useful hint, regardless of whether you decide to use it or not. Anyway, I have digressed far from the thread topic...
kikinovak wrote:
Naan Yaar wrote:

The suggested solution cost no more than a steel guitar string and took two minutes.

Maybe I can also answer your question with a french saying: l'enfer est pavé de bonnes intentions. Good intentions are hell's pavings.

cheers,

Niki
kikinovak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Now to get the right context for my humorous remarks, let me make a point. Up until a week or so, I was a double-booting Windows XP Pro / Linux Debian user, after having tried out Mandrake and Slackware. My Linux experience is about eight months old. Two days ago, I've lost a day's worth of work ( = translation) because XP froze everything, I had to reset my system, and when I managed to reboot, my translation was unrecoverable.

How I resolved that problem: 1) insert DOS boot floppy 2) fdisk 3) format C: 4) format D:. Which means that now I'm writing these lines on Konqueror - KDE3 that runs under Gentoo Linux 1.2. I did it! I took the plunge! Huge pat on the shoulder for all you guys at Gentoo! Your system works *great*. What convinced me to replace my Debian with it: 1) the doc seems better (even though the install is a nightmare for a mortal user like me, it went OK because the doc is excellent) 2) there seems to be the newest version of everything (the Debian guys are still thinking whether they will make .debs out of KDE3 and OpenOffice, but I guess they're too busy ranting about such subjects as whether you should say "Linux" or "GNU/Linux" or similar topics.

And to come back to the question. Despite my humorous remark about what is helpful and what not, I must say that this forum is *really* helpful, and I mean it. startx doesn't startx? xinit unknown? Type startx AND xinit, and here we go, at least five guys got the same problem.

I understand that with these thousands of people in a forum, you have to behave in perfect courtesy. Didn't mean to start a flame here. But it's like the guy who asks the way to the train station here in Montpellier. "Well, first you take the bus to Saint-Martin-de-Londres, then there's a boat to Saint-Maurice-de-Navacelles, then it's about a day's walk through the Vallée de l'Hérault, and when you cross the Cévennes etc."

Why not just say "You're standing in front of it. Just cross the road.":o)

cheers,

Niki
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: