Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Offline Installation?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drushka

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:16 pm    Post subject: Offline Installation? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a pretty fast Internet connection at uni but none yet at home. Even if I did it would be painfully slow. (Why would I want to shell out on a fast connection if I have a free one at work?) 8)
Anyway, I would obviously like to download all the packets and burn them all on severall CDs to install gentoo linux offline at home.
The way I read the installation-howto, this is not the recommended way, however. Any way to get around the recommended way to avoid downloading all the packets from home?

Thanks in advance,
Drushka 8O
Drushka

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Oh dear Reply with quote

Just found this thread. Doesn't look too straightforward. What if I use a different linux at work (I do)? What if I was a windoze junkey (I'm not)?

I'd have loved to just download a bunch of isos containing all the things I don't need but then I guess this is not the way things are intended. Don't want to waste your bandwidth to badly as well.

Ah well, I'll have another look at it when I have more time.

Regards,
Drushka :wink:
water
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could emerge te portage-tree at home. With emerge -p you can see wich packages are needed. Then you download somewhere else the packages you need, burn them on a cd and copy them at home to /etc/portage/distfiles. Then emerge the package you want, and it will take the sources you copied into /etc/portage/disfiles.

There's only one problem: emerge -p doesn't show all dependencies somehow. I don't know houw to solve this problem :? .

Last edited by water on Wed Aug 21, 2002 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read somewhere that 'wget' is available to MS Windows as well. So, an emerge -p would give you dependancies needed. Then, manually use wget to download what you want. I've never done it, so I'm just guessing.
ejdmoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I did. My laptop comes to work with me, but at home serves as a network bridge to my linux box (long story). I was wondering how to rebuild KDE3.0.3. Then I realized that I could just do emerge -uf kde. That dowloaded the sources and stuck them in /usr/portage/distfiles, and it finished in an hour or so, then I just did emerge -u kde then let it run all day while I was (and still am) at work, while my Gentoo box has no net connection.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: