View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jondale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that were having trouble getting this to work with the 2.6+ kernels, I was able to get it to work for the first time with the CVS copy of ndiswrapper from last night (2/7/04).

To obtain it do the following:
Code:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/ndiswrapper login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/ndiswrapper co ndiswrapper

Just press enter when it asks you for a password.

The CVS version of ndiswrapper works differently now than explained above. It now uses a config file for the different drivers you use and loading the kernel module evidently loads the drivers you have in the config file automatically which greatly trivializes making your connection start up on boot correctly.

To set up your drivers go into your newly created ndiswrapper directory and type:
Code:

cd ndiswrapper
make && make install

Then you need to load ndiswrapper:
Code:

modeprobe -r ndiswrapper    (only if it's already loaded)
modeprobe ndiswrapper

Code:

cd utils
./parseinf /lib/windrivers/yourinffile.inf /lib/windrivers/yoursysfile.sys

Then if you want to list the drivers currently setup correctly:
Code:

./ndiswrapper -l

Then to load the driver that should be listed in the previous step
Code:

./loadndisdriver  yourdriver

Then all you have to do if you haven't already is add an entry for iface_wlan0 in /etc/conf.d/net and then copy /etc/init.d/net.eth0 to /etc/init.d/net.wlan0.

Now you should be able to:
Code:

/etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start

If it comes up successfully you can just add ndiswrapper to your /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 file and then:
Code:

rc-update del net.eth0
rc-update add net.wlan0 default

That should bring it up correctly on boot. I'm typing this up after the fact so I hope everything is right. This worked on a Linksys Wireless-G PCI card using kernel linux-2.6.2-rc2-mm1.
recoco.zhang
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goood...Thanks a lot!
Wishmaster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great guide! It was very useful!

Now my Broadcom 4320 (Dell Truemobile 1300) in my Inspiron 8600 works, altough i was not able to test network communication yet :? !

But if i try to initialize it on boot, i got the failure mentioned above:
Code:

request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- wlan0. error = 256

Does somebody found a workaround for this problem?

[EDIT]
I've found a solution that works for me, i inserted the following lines in the "/etc/init.d/net.wlan0" at the beginning of the start() block:
Code:

# Enabling WLAN Support
        /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
        /usr/sbin/loadndisdriver 14e4 4320 /lib/windrivers/bcmwl5.sys /lib/windrivers/bcmwl5.inf

Maybe it's not the right way, but after reboot, the WLAN is available.

[/EDIT]

Bye,
Wishmaster
theorange
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noob question, but I hope someone has come accross it. In any event, your replies will make it easier for other people..

from typing 'make install' in ~/ndiswrapper/

bash-2.05b# make install
make -C driver install
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/ndiswrapper/driver'
gcc -DTEST_PM -DLINUX -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.22-gentoo-r5/build/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -O2 -c -o wrapper.o wrapper.c
wrapper.c:1126: variable `ndis_ethtool_ops' has initializer but incomplete type
wrapper.c:1127: unknown field `get_link' specified in initializer
wrapper.c:1127: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
wrapper.c:1127: warning: (near initialization for `ndis_ethtool_ops')
wrapper.c: In function `setup_dev':
wrapper.c:1613: structure has no member named `ethtool_ops'
wrapper.c: At top level:
wrapper.c:1126: storage size of `ndis_ethtool_ops' isn't known
make[1]: *** [wrapper.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/ndiswrapper/driver'
make: *** [install] Error 2
bash-2.05b#

Checked my kernel config, smp is disabled, wireless is enabled. Everything is current and the howto is followed to the letter.

Any help is much appreciated.

EDIT: This btw, is a toshiba tecra s1, with a centrino chipset.
Linux delta 2.4.22-gentoo-r5 #1 Wed Feb 4 18:40:45 PST i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1400MHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
ShallowCorporateRaider
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still getting the errors on startup, even after I tried changing the alias as Psyeye suggested. Here are the errors:
Code:
Dependency info is missing!  Please run #/sbin/depscan.sh to rix this.
/sbin/runscript.sh:  line 27: /var/lib/init.d/softlevel:  No such file or directory

ln:  creating symbolic link '/var/lib/init.d/started/net.wlan0' to '/etc/init.d/net.wlan0' :  No such file or directory
Could not get dependency info for "net.wlan0"!  Please run: #/sbin/depscan.sh to fix this
Could not get dependency info for "net.wlan0"!  Please run: #/sbin/depscan.sh to fix this

Then, about 15 seconds after I get the login prompt, it always says:
Code:
Failed to bring wlan0 up
Failed to bring eth0 up

If I then do a:
Code:
dhcpcd wlan0

the wireless card works fine.
It seems odd to me that it tries to bring eth0 and wlan0 up at boot, because I do NOT have those added to the boot or default runlevels. Since I switch between wired and wireless, I thought it would be easier for me to just start one or the other by hand.
Any ideas?
Jondale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theorange wrote:
Noob question, but I hope someone has come accross it. In any event, your replies will make it easier for other people..

from typing 'make install' in ~/ndiswrapper/

bash-2.05b# make install
make -C driver install
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/ndiswrapper/driver'
gcc -DTEST_PM -DLINUX -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.22-gentoo-r5/build/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -O2 -c -o wrapper.o wrapper.c
wrapper.c:1126: variable `ndis_ethtool_ops' has initializer but incomplete type
wrapper.c:1127: unknown field `get_link' specified in initializer
wrapper.c:1127: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
wrapper.c:1127: warning: (near initialization for `ndis_ethtool_ops')
wrapper.c: In function `setup_dev':
wrapper.c:1613: structure has no member named `ethtool_ops'
wrapper.c: At top level:
wrapper.c:1126: storage size of `ndis_ethtool_ops' isn't known
make[1]: *** [wrapper.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/ndiswrapper/driver'
make: *** [install] Error 2
bash-2.05b#

Checked my kernel config, smp is disabled, wireless is enabled. Everything is current and the howto is followed to the letter.

Any help is much appreciated.

EDIT: This btw, is a toshiba tecra s1, with a centrino chipset.
Linux delta 2.4.22-gentoo-r5 #1 Wed Feb 4 18:40:45 PST i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1400MHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

You need to upgrade your kernel to I think 2.4.23 or higher. I got the same error as you until I upgraded to 2.4.24 at which point the downloaded 0.4 release worked for me.

If you go to a 2.6.x kernel you will need to download the CVS copy to get it working.
ShallowCorporateRaider
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can no one shed any light on my dependency errors? Please? I can live with manually starting up the wlan0, but the anal retentive part of me cringes whenever it sees boot errors.
CharlieS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the G based cards actually running at 54MB/s or what?? they working to full capabilities is what i'm asking..
deadMofo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlieS wrote:
Are the G based cards actually running at 54MB/s or what?? they working to full capabilities is what i'm asking..

To begin with, the 802.11g cards supposedly achieve 54Mb/s, which is only 6.75 MB/s theoretical maximum... then you also have to account for signal strength and all of the network overhead involved (TCP/IP, etc).

After all of those deductions, you can probably expect to get from 1.5 - 2 MB/s.
deadMofo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a WPC54g card, and it now (sorta) works thanks to scootersmk's excellent guide (ps - the corrections suggested by kosan still aren't incorporated into the original post)...

However, a few minutes after loading the driver, my system freezes (sorry I can't be more technically descriptive about this process - the system just goes completely nonresponsive). For that short window, though, it works perfectly...

I'm running linux-2.6.3-rc2-mm1 with ndiswrapper 0.4 and the Linksys drivers (I've also tried the drivers linked to from the ndiswrapper site - same problem). Perhaps this is the same problem as described previously in this thread ("segmentation fault"), but honestly I don't know what happens after a segmentation fault.

Anyway, if anyone else has encountered this problem, please let me know.

Thanks!

[EDIT]
Got it to work using cvs version - good post, Jondale. The command syntax has changed again, so anyone trying this for the first time should just read the INSTALL doc after you check it out of CVS.
[/EDIT]
manifest
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: CVS version is much easier to config Reply with quote

Followed the install instructions in the ndiswrapper directory. (This is for the current cvs version btw)

That got the ndiiswrapper loaded. Then all i had to do was put in /etc/modules.autoload/kernel-2.6

ndiswrapper

On reboot it remember my configuration and loaded the ndiswrapper with no problems. Whats soo much better with the version currently in cvs is that it stores the windows drivers and options in a config file (/etc/ndiswrapper). I guess we should wait till the next revision of ndiswrapper before updating the instructions.
choenig
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ok, Ok, i'm an idiot. pls help anyway Reply with quote

Hi,

flying_walus wrote:

2. now that i've got the card up, I iwconfig it thusly
Code:

iwconfig wlan0 essid myessid key myhexkey

and it seems to find my access point - iwconfig wlan0 shows the correct MAC for the access point, and the access point reports that a card with the correct MAC is accessing it...

but I can't connect to my net. dhcpcd dies, setting an ip with ipconfig and then pinging produces nothing... Can someone point me in the right direction ? the net works fine with the other machines on it

I had that problem using WEP, too, but I solved it:
First of all I changed my AP from open mode to restricted and then running
Code:

iwconfig wlan0 key restricted KEY
iwconfig
iwconfig wlan0 key restricted KEY

lets me connect to the AP. In the bugs section of ndiswrapper someone suggested it could help to run iwconfig key several times, because sometimes the settings don't get commited.
If I only repeat the iwconfig key without calling iwconfig in the middle, I cannot connect, only the above way works for me now :-).

This is with current CVS from ndiswrapper.

Hope that helps...
take care, have fun
/christian
soda_popstar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the HOWTO, it helped me a lot. :lol: I've now got my wireless Centrino working ... *whew*.

I've only got one more question. I use wireless Internet at school, while I use wired Internet at home. Is there some sort of init-script that can detect which one is available and start up net.eth0/net.wlan0 when necessary? It's not a big deal right now, as I just need to remember to do "rc-update del net.eth0" before leaving for school. I created a bash script called "wireless" that loads ndiswrapper and starts net.wlan0, so I just need to run that when I start up my laptop at school.

So pretty much all I need is a script that detects if wireless or wired Internet is available, then runs /usr/bin/wireless if there's wireless, or /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start if wired is available. I would write it myself, but I don't know how to do that. :(
sekh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this great thread! really helped me get mine up and running :)

I'm sort of facing the same problem as soda_popstar where i would like my pc to just use eth0 if that's available on boot and otherwise try the wlan. However i think i'm just going to setup different runlevels since there are certain services i dont want running while i'm using wlan (at the university or work) anyway :)

soda_popstar: there's a program called mii-diag (in portage) which will let you know wether or not there's a connection on the ethernet cable for your wired NIC, you can use this to detect if it's available or not and then do whatever you like accordingly. Search the forum for it, i saw a few scripts that used it and could do something along the lines of what you want :)
Kurbel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this awesome tutorial!
I just found one little mistake that you probarbly could change:
You tell to copy the loadndisdriver to /usr/sbin, but in the /etc/modules.d/wlan0 you tell to use the /usr/bin path for it...

Kind regards,
Kurbel
bbrazil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my WPC54G working about halfway, but I can't seem to talk to my AP.

if I do an iwlist scanning, I see the AP, its ESSID, its MAC address, and that Encryption is Off.

If I do iwconfig wlan0 mode Ad-Hoc it changes to Ad-Hoc just fine. If I change it back to managed, it's happy, too.

If I do iwconfig wlan0 essid MYESSID it just blinks at me. It doesn't spit out an error or anything, it just silently returns without setting the ESSID.

Any guesses as to where I should look?
forceflow2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this exact same problem. ESSID never gets set. I can't connect to any APs but I can see them
SPY_jmr1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had perfect results witha toshiba centrino (intel pro 2100 chip), using the CVS ndiswrapper, and generic drivers.

No flaws, None I can see anyway:D
forceflow2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone who got it working with the Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 using a restricted AP with WEP key? If so, what did you guys do differently from those of us who don't have it working?
corefile
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uggg. When I try and do a make && make install in the cvs ndiswrapper, its failes saying I have SMP support in my kernel, so i rebuilt with out it and I still get the error. Any one else have this problem?

-p
Kurbel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure, that you also disabled Local APIC Support in your kernel - usually this should fix it.

To everyone with problems setting ESSID: I haven't with IntelPRO2100 - of course I cannot tell you why, but I simply followed this HOWTO. Maybe you've choosen the wrong windrivers? I used the ones mentioned here and not those distributed with my notebook...
forceflow2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the ones that came from the site also. I have a new strategy that I received from someone but cannot test for a few hours. Shall see if it actually fixes things or not. Here's hoping
swimgeek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Version 0.4 didn't work, but the CVS version worked! Reply with quote

Hi,
I have Dell Inspiron 4150 with Dell TrueMobile 1180 (Broadcom 4301) chipset, on gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.3-r1. The version 0.4 of ndiswrapper didn't seem to work for me, but since yesterday the CVS version is working perfectly for me!
forceflow2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got it working. Had to use open mode instead of restricted. Took a dive into the man page of iwconfig and just started changing options :wink: Posting this right now from my Gentoo install during Computer Science class (yes, this is more important than listening to the professor talk about Iterators...)
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for this useful HOWTO
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: