View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HannibalSmith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:21 am    Post subject: 3dfx DRI Reply with quote

I have been trying to get 3d acceleration for my voodoo3 (yes i know it's crap) working for a few days now without much success. Has anybody gotten this to work? I can successfully run GL programs (glxgears, etc) but the framerates are ridiculously slow, so I know it's not using DRI. I can't seem to find a good reference for how to get this to work either, so any help would be appreciated.
gschneider
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you enabled kernel support?
I had some trouble getting it running too.
doh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: i got it running Reply with quote

i got mine running with hardware acc.. voodoo3 3000
i installed glidev3 from the portage , had to edit the file first tho
and i also got mesa installed
i load up the card as module in the kernel
and this is what i have in my XF86Config :

# This loads the GLX module
Load "glx"
Load "dri"

EndSection

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

good luck/fishn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:11 pm    Post subject: Could you elaborate? Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem. After emerging glide-v3, I try and emerge Mesa but it craps out with some error. Running glxinfo returns:

Code:

name of display: :0.0
gd error (glide): gd error (glide): grSstSelect: non-existent SSTgd error (glide): grSstSelect: non-existent SSTSegmentation fault

What exactly did you have to edit?
HannibalSmith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have re-merged X, glide-v3 and tried to build mesa (it craps out saying something about unrecognized file format) and I also get this error when running glxgears.
Code:
gd error (glide): gd error (glide): grSstSelect: non-existent SSTgd error (glide): grSstSelect: non-existent SSTSegmentation fault

When I run glxinfo, the screen seems to brighten just a little bit, and it claims the DRI is enabled, but glxgears and all other 3D stuff craps out with a segfault. Any hints?
Eugenia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 12:53 am    Post subject: Voodoo5 problems here Reply with quote

Guys, I have similar problems.

When I had my 1.0 Gentoo up and running, I installed the glide from the dri.sourceforge.net and it worked and could play games in hardware GL. But when I rebooted, I was back to software GL again!! I don't understand why that happened. It seems that some settings they don't stick because Gentoo regenerates some files when reboots. (yes, tdfx.o is on /etc/modules.autoload and the XF86Config file has dri/glx support in it)

After I upgraded to 1.1a, and HAD to recompile the whole XFree, I don't have GL at all. No matter if I rerun the installation script of the glide package. I then decided to re-emerge Mesa and stuff, and this time, I INDEED had the same error message during compilation as HannibalSmith had!

I think 1.1a is seriously borked, in many ways... :-(

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Voodoo5 problems here Reply with quote

For voodoo3 you need put this flags into /etc/make.conf in USE voodoo3 and 3dfx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: 3dfx DRI Reply with quote

There is some problem with emerged glide, so I downloaded glide headers and libglide.so from dri.sourceforge.net and everything has been working since then.
:)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I had about given up hope, but the glide3 headers from sourceforge fixed everything.
fifth cent

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 4:33 am    Post subject: adventures in voodoo land Reply with quote

I am also trying to get my voodoo3 up and running... I did the prescribed

emerge xfree
emerge glide-v3
emerge xfree
emerge glut

i then removed the libglide3.la, and then went to try to emerge mesa-glu, but I got the following error:

Calculating dependencies !!! Couldn't find match for mesa-glut; aborting.

I thought this was odd, so I double checked the portage try, and sure enough it was under media-libs. Out of curiousity, I tried running glxinfo, and I got this wonderful message:

I have no idea what to try from here.
fifth cent

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 1:49 pm    Post subject: my bad Reply with quote

:oops: I totally skipped over the posts about the glxinfo problems :oops:
So now glxinfo seems to be working

I was still having problems with emerging mesa-glut. It still wasn't finding the package, so I tried specifying the ebuild in the portage try, and got:

!!! ebuild media-libs/mesa-glu-3.5 not found (possibly blocked by package.mask)

So I went and checked package.mask in the portage tree, and sure enough mesa and mesa-glu were in there, citing that the built-in xfree mesa and mesa-glu should work with tdfx. So now, I try glxgears and get the output:
3239 frames in 5.0 seconds = 647.800 FPS
4056 frames in 5.0 seconds = 811.200 FPS
4093 frames in 5.0 seconds = 818.600 FP

so all seems well :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: