minimum partition size to emerge xfree?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pablito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 7:29 am    Post subject: minimum partition size to emerge xfree? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Just tried to emerge xfree into my post stage3 system but it looks like I've ran out of space on my gentoo partition. I allocated 1.3G for it, since I've got MacOS in one partition and a 256Mb swap partition. I layed it out this way since my old world mac clone only has a 2G scsi hard drive.

I'm curious as to what minimum partition size is required in order for me to emerge xfree86 into my system?

It would like to get some use out of this old mac clone, by having Gentoo Linux on it with X windows working.

I also noticed that when xfree is compiling that it includes all kinds of ISO8859 settings as well as some darwin stuff. Is there any way to pass some flags to the compiler so that it doesnt include all this stuff since my old world mac has no use for them? Or are they simply part of xfree86?

One other note, after I rebooted post stage 3, I removed all tmp files prior to emerge xfree.

rm /usr/portage/distfiles/* && rm -r /var/tmp/portage/*

Once I get some feedback, I'm gonna reformat the scsci drive and make a minimal base install of the MacOS so that I can use most of it for Gentoo.

Anyway thanks for your time and attention.

It's late now so I'll check back in the morning.

Peace

-phr
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: minimum partition size to emerge xfree? Reply with quote

pablito wrote:
I'm curious as to what minimum partition size is required in order for me to emerge xfree86 into my system?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it. :)

This thread, which is probably describing x86, mentions a figure of 600+MB free required to compile X.
Boomer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found when I updated X on my wallstreet G3 powerbook that I needed about 700 Mb of free space. I had to unmerge and re-emerge many applications to get that much free space on my 2g hard drive. Next time I'll unmerge X and emerge the new version instead of trying to install over the old version.

Boomer
pablito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow guys, that's some serious space taken up just for compiling X.

If it takes that much then I've got some serious hard drive partititoning issues I need to consider since this old scsi drive is but a mere 2Gigs in size.

First I need to see what's the minimum partition size I can get away with in installing just the base MacOS.

You think I can get away with just using a 128Mb swap partition?

Well off to reformatting once again.

-phr
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If youa re compiling big pkgs such as X you defaintely need more than 128 megs swap :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: