View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yardbird
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:04 pm    Post subject: kde3 bugs Reply with quote

Hi,
I've just updated to KDE 3.0.3. I hoped that two bugs I found in previous versions had been corrected with this update, but unfortunately it does not seem so. I'm posting here to see if someone is having the same problems I have, or if this is just an issue on my PCs:

1) kdvi does not display postscript graphics included in .dvi files. If I try to print a .dvi file everything is OK, it is just the visualization in X that has problems. xdvi displays correctly all my .dvi's;

2) open konqueror with the "file management" view profile (for example by clicking on the Home icon on your desktop); go to Tools-->Find file and search for a .txt file; click on the file found so that it is opened in embedded view in konq; now click the "back" button on the top toolbar: konq segfaults after a "Malformed URL message". This happens only by opening konq with the "File management" view profile.

The weird thing is that these bugs happen both on my desktop and laptop; both have gentoo 1.2 installed, gcc 2.95.3 and these compilation flags:

CFLAGS="-mcpu=i686 -march=i686 -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -malign-functions=4 -O3 -pipe"

CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS

I have updated all packages to the latest version. Please let me know if you encounter the same problems. Regards.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i have no idea what postscript dvi is but the second thing works ok for me...i just emerged kde-3.0.3 this morning

you might want to try (like while your sleeping) emerging -eu world and see if that helps...i have doen it two nights now in a row adding optimizations to CFLAGS.

so far this is what i have

Code:
CFLAGS="-march-i686 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt"

i am running gcc-2.95.3

i was going to add -fforce-addr and rerun emerge -eu world again tonight and then add -malign-function=4 tomorrow. not sure it matters but i think recompiling everything tightens it up
yardbird
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for answering rommel.

I'm beginning to think these could be CFLAGS related issues. See, I had other problems with high GCC optimizations and KDE. For example I used to compile with -funroll-loops, but this caused kprinter (the module which is called up whenever you print in KDE) to segfault. This issue was also mentioned in kde-devel mailing list. So I suggest you not to use that optimization in KDE.
I guess I'll try to remerge all kde stuff with just march, mcpu, -O3 and -fomit-frame-pointer. This is sad though :(
TuxFriend
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rommel: how do you measure speed and stability improvement / degradation?

TuxFriend
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really dont measure it...under the 'portage and programming' forum there is a thread cflags central where someone posted a lil script to measure the effects of the optimizations....i just installed from bootstrap and emerged the system with
Code:
CFLAGS="-march -i686 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer --fforce-addr -funroll-loops -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -malign-functions=4"

i started the bootstrap and went running...got back the bootstrap was almost done...then i started the emrge system and it only took an hour....i am gonna leave CFLAGS alone and emerge kde with it ....and see if i get any errors.
yardbird
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I confirm that konq segfaulting as described above is a KDE bug. Though it only happens when the file view is the "detailed" one (View --> View Mode --> Detailed list view). In 'icon view' everything works fine.

Just to let you know :-)
bigkev3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with kdvi not showing postscript sounds similar to problem I had in previewing files to print. It was all caused by ghostscipt being set up incorrectly in the kviewshell part for ghostscript (?bit hazy here about terminology, but here's how to fix it...)

Start kghostview and check the configuration. My ghostscript settings were completely blank. Once changed to:

Interpreter-> /usr/bin/gs
Non anti-aliasing arguments-> -sDEVICE=x11
Anti-aliasing arguments-> -dNOPLATFONTS -sDEVICE=x11alpha

everything worked. I don't know whether a faulty emerge borked these settings (as they used to be correct at one time), or my configuration files got messed up, but this fixed everything.
Regor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yardbird wrote:
I guess I'll try to remerge all kde stuff with just march, mcpu, -O3 and -fomit-frame-pointer. This is sad though :(

Good luck. I couldn't get kdeedu to compile with "-fomit-frame-pointer".
But I'm happy enough running with (only) "-march=i686 -O3 -pipe". It's
still faster than any other distro! :D
yardbird
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigkev3: I tried what you said, but still no luck :-((
Moreover I just discovered that kdvi is messed up: it segfaults when opening a file in "standalone mode" (if it is embedded into konq it works OK). I guess you don't have this problem, do you?
yardbird
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
just to let you know I sent a bugreport to KDE folks about konq segfaulting; they replied that they already got a bugreport like that, and that the bug was going to be corrected. A big thank to KDE developers for having been so fast :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: