WPA Supplicant timing out.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gilbo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: WPA Supplicant timing out. Reply with quote

EDIT: I seem to have the 2.6.14 problem. The 2.6.14 kernel breaks wifi. See that thread for details...

I reinstalled Gentoo on my laptop yesterday. Using the same wpa_supplicant.conf file, wpa_supplicant is now timing out. The following is what I know so far and what might be useful to anyone who's trying to help.

1. madwifi's ath_pci loads successfully on boot. The wireless light lights up on my laptop. ifconfig can startup the interface, as you can see:
Code:
ath0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:05:4E:49:E8:61
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:52 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:52
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:199
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Interrupt:11 Memory:f89a0000-f89b0000

Consequently, it doesn't look like a madwifi driver problem.

2. I created /etc/init.d/net.ath0 by linking it to net.lo:
Code:
init.d # ls -l net.ath0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 6 Nov 23 15:10 net.ath0 -> net.lo

3. /etc/conf.d/net looks like this:
Code:
modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
wpa_supplicant_ath0="-Dmadwifi"
wpa_timeout_ath0=60
config_ath0=( "192.168.1.98 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255" )
routes_ath0=( "default gw 192.168.1.1" )

config_eth0=( "192.168.1.98 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255" )
routes_eth0=( "default gw 192.168.1.1" )

Don't worry I don't try and run eth0 and ath0 at the same time. My router is configured for manual IP addresses. I'm not sure if the config_ath0 and routes_ath0 lines are the way to do this. Perhaps this is the problem. I've tried without both lines as well as with. It doesn't change anything.

4. wpa_supplicant.conf looks like this:
Code:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

network={
        ssid="HarmolodiaUnplugged"
        proto=WPA
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=TKIP
        group=TKIP
        psk="correct PSK"
        priority=5
}

I've confirmed several times that the PSK is valid. TKIP is the encryption used on the WLAN. To be sure I added CCMP, WEP40, and WEP104 to the group= value, but it didn't change anything.

5. I notice that when wpa_supplicant is done timing out the wireless light on my laptop goes out. I can't get it to come back on, even by modprobing ath_pci. Could there be some sort of driver conflict with madwifi and wpa_supplicant. I'm using the stable versions of both, and I had it working on my previous installation? Of course, if this was the case, why does it time out --shouldn't I get an error message? When I check wpa_supplicant, by running it with no arguments, it specifically notes it has support for madwifi, so I assume this wouldn't be a problem.
madwifi-driver: 0.1_pre20050420-r1
wpa_supplicant: 0.3.9-r1

6. I noticed a madwifi-tools package while searching around. Do I need that in addition to the driver for things to work? It's masked, so I hesitate to install it without asking. EDIT: Installing it has no effect. (I'm still curious as to whether it is necessary or not?)

Last edited by Gilbo on Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gilbo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been a couple days. I haven't been able to make anymore progress unfortunately. I'm bumping for some ideas...
thedopefishlives
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you try watching the output of wpa_cli status? Run (as root): watch "wpa_cli status"
If it tries to associate with an AP but fails because it "cannot authenticate with 00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00" or something to that effect, try changing your ap_scan parameter in your wpa_supplicant.conf to 2. That's what I had to do to get ndiswrapper and wpa_supplicant to play nicely together; if that's not the problem you're having, then *shrug* I'm as clueless as you are.
MadScientist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having this exact problem. I don't think it's my wpa_supplicant file because if I reboot to my old (2.6.13-gentoo-r3) kernel, it works fine. Reboot back into 2.6.14-gentoo-r2 and no more wifi. Another thing I noticed is that the wlan_tkip module does not auto-load under 2.6.14. But even when I modprobe it (and it loads without errors), I still can't get net.ath0 to start.

Edit: this seems to be reported here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=112853
thedopefishlives
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, try using -Dwext instead of -Dmadwifi in your wpa_supplicant options. This uses the standard Linux wireless extensions, which *should* work. I tried it on my ndiswrapper config and it fixed the problem I was having on trying to associate to an unencrypted wireless AP. I don't know if it will work with WPA, though, so try it and get back to me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: