Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Need help configuring PAM (Plugable Authentication Module)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdelc040
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Need help configuring PAM (Plugable Authentication Module) Reply with quote

I am trying to configure PAM on a server to only allow people to use "secure" passwords (at least one number, symbol, uppercase, and lowercase; length >= 8 ). I have been searching the internet and trying to follow instructions that are out there and it all seems so different than it should be. I have changed my /etc/pam.d/passwd file to be
Code:
#%PAM-1.0

auth     required pam_unix.so shadow nullok
account  required pam_unix.so
password required pam_cracklib.so difok=3 retry=3 minlen=8 dcredit=1 ocredit=1 lcredit=1 ucredit=1
password required pam_unix.so md5 use_authtok
session  required pam_unix.so

instead of
Code:
#%PAM-1.0

auth       include      system-auth
account    include      system-auth
password   include      system-auth

According to many articles I've read it should have fixed the password security issue, but it didn't. I can enter just about any password (non-dictionary word) that I want (particularly just numbers and lowercase letters). Why? Can anyone help me? Thanks.
cdelc040
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Fixed Reply with quote

Never mind. The problem is that if you want to enforce the restrictions I wanted you need to use negative numbers like this
Code:
password required pam_cracklib.so debug difok=3 retry=3 minlen=8 dcredit=-1 ocredit=-1 lcredit=-1 ucredit=-1

Answer was found at http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/pam-6.html I hope this can help someone else out.

Also, if you are interested in password security checkout chage a utility to change a user's password expiration information.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: