View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
al3x
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:15 pm    Post subject: Flash Crashes Galeon?!? Reply with quote

Very odd: I have the latest galeon and netscape-flash ebuilds installed, and whenever I browse to a page with Flash content Galeon crashes: it simply comes to a screeching halt, refusing to render anything or respond to input.

I know Flash has some reliance on Java, and like most Galeon users I have the Blackdown JDK installed. Does this make any difference? Any thoughts or similar behavior out there?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash and Galeon are both GUI-related. Moving from OTG to Desktop Forums.

--kurt
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Flash Crashes Galeon?!? Reply with quote

Which galeon and mozilla versions?? I had similar problems with previous versions, but the current versions (mozilla 1.0-r3 and galeon 1.2.5) are OK as far as I can see (but I have an odd problem with galeon crashing when I close it, which is not that bad....)

al3x wrote:
Very odd: I have the latest galeon and netscape-flash ebuilds installed, and whenever I browse to a page with Flash content Galeon crashes: it simply comes to a screeching halt, refusing to render anything or respond to input.

I know Flash has some reliance on Java, and like most Galeon users I have the Blackdown JDK installed. Does this make any difference? Any thoughts or similar behavior out there?
jrollins
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't running a gcc3 based system, are you? If you are, that's most likely the cause. Look here:https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=4753.
Valen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a documented bug on mozilla's site about flash, this may affect galeon and probably affects netscape. If your soundcard is busy when you try to access a flash site AND your soundcard can only use one channel the browser will hang until the sound card is freed up.

NOTE: I think this can also happen if you aren't playing anything but are using artsd (I don't use KDE so I haven't experienced this).

Here's the link to the mozilla documentation.

edit: fixed bbCode tags
al3x
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Sound: must be it Reply with quote

I'm not running a GCC 3.x system, and I've just emerged netscape-flash and tried it on a few sites without XMMS blaring like it usually is: no problems. Now I just wonder why it's not working with multiple channels, since I have 7 defined in /etc/modules.conf...

Oh well, a question for a different forum I guess...
dtun3Z
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does your CFLAGS looklike?
flash & galeon does not work very well together when compiling mozilla with O3. (and probably some other flags too.)

I use this in my /etc/make.conf , and flash works just fine.
Code:

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-mcpu=i686 -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS

(running on a 2.95.x gcc system on a AMD)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: