[SOLVED] Grub Error 23: Error while parsing number
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
als365
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Grub Error 23: Error while parsing number Reply with quote

Hello,

Just installed gentoo and followed the user manual to the part where i had to restart my machine. Now i get an error when selecting either my windows xp or gentoo installation

This is what i get when selecting windows from grub

Booting 'Windows XP Pro'
rootnoverify (sd0,0)
Error 23: Error while parsing number
Press any key to continue...

This is what i get when selecting gentoo from grub

Booting 'Gentoo Linux 2.6.13'
root (sd0,1)
Error 23: Error while parsing number
Press any key to continue...

What should i do here? Are all of my sd0's supposed to be hd0's instead? I never use hda, it's always sda:

/dev/sda1 is my NTFS for windows
/dev/sda2 is my boot for linux
/dev/sda3 is my swap
/dev/sda4 is where i store all of my other linux stuff

If i need to change sd0 to hd0, then how do i gain access to the grub.conf file to do that. I have the live cd and i'm assuming that i have to access it through that. I'm a new linux user and would appreciate any help. If i have to access that file from the live cd, please give me step by step instructions if possible

Thanks,
-Austin

Last edited by als365 on Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
moosh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Austin,

I don't really know whether you should change sd to hd, but there is a very easy way to try. You don't really need the installation CD. All you have to do, when the grub menu appears after booting the computer is press 'e' and then you can edit the grub script (look at the bottom of the grub screen for more instructions). You can edit any of the menu choices and any of the lines of the script. Once you are satisfied with your editing (for example, try changing sd to hd) just press 'b' to boot using the modified script (this will also appear in the instructions at the bottom of the grub screen). Please post the result after trying hd instead of sd.
syg00
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should do it - good advice. One of the advantages of grub is being able to do this editting of the boot menu.
Grub won't like sd0,..., but you can't just change them all.

Grub directives - i.e the root(...) or rootnoverify(...) and splashimage if you use it - need changing to hd0.
Any kernel parameters (root=/dev/sda4) needs to remain as sda4.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Grub Error 23: Error while parsing number Reply with quote

als365 wrote:
What should i do here? Are all of my sd0's supposed to be hd0's instead? I never use hda, it's always sda
Yes, grub doesn't know about ata or sata, it only sees the disks as the bios presents them.

Quote:
If i need to change sd0 to hd0, then how do i gain access to the grub.conf file to do that. I have the live cd and i'm assuming that i have to access it through that. I'm a new linux user and would appreciate any help. If i have to access that file from the live cd, please give me step by step instructions if possible

Boot the livecd, mount the boot partition on /mnt/gentoo and edit grub.conf
# mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/gentoo
# nano -w /mnt/gentoo/grub/grub.conf

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
als365
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Grub Error 23: Error while parsing number Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. The solution of changing all of my sd to hd worked. Now i am experiencing a different error on booting which can be found here

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2857087.html#2857087

Incase the link doesn't work, the title of the post is:
"Kernel - Not suncing: VPS: Unable to mount root fs on unkn.."

If anyone has any solutions to that problem, please post an answer if you can.

Thanks again,
-Austin
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: