Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
kprinter/cups suddenly stopped working...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bendy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 7:27 am    Post subject: kprinter/cups suddenly stopped working... Reply with quote

Hi - I have gentoo installed on 2 machines, built from 1.2 on my laptop and 1.3a on my desktop. I have a 3rd machine set up with a printer attached running cups. Up until 2 days ago I could print acroos my network with no problems, the printer being easily configured on the clients using kde's printer manager. kde version is 3.0.2 in both cases.

I did a few minor updates 2 days ago including the recent security recommendations, and not printing does not work on either machine in gentoo. When I open the kde printer manager I get the message client_error_not_found. From the kde printing manual, this apparently means that the system is trying to open a file that either does not exist or it doesn't have permission for.

The desktop machine dual boots with debian, and printing still works on that system so it does seem to be gentoo-specific. Also, the network is working, and I can open the cups admin page on the print server remotely from a client.

Any ideas? Is it something to do with the kde-env change?

Cheers,

Nick.
sa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, do you still have a /dev/lp0?
bendy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmm, well it's fixed itself somehow.

I tried using the cups web-based admin utility and got the same error message, so it didn't seem to be a kde issue. However, I tried again to add a new printer through the web interface from my desktop machine and it started working again. Then, I went to repeat the exercise on the laptop and the printer automagically appeared in the kprinter section of kde's control centre (as it had when I first set the system up).

So I don't know what the problem was, but it working for the moment.

I hate it when that happens.......
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had cups/kprinter die on me once. I spent ages trying to discover what was wrong. Applications would merrily print, but nothing would come out of the printer, and nothing was in the queue. Eventually I found the problem. Mysteriously, cups had uninstalled itself :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: